Autopsy Rd 18 Blues go down fighting in Simmo's farewell game

Who gave their all in Simmo's farewell game?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Not the first time weve gone a half this year with just the 1 or 2 free kicks .
AFL is a contact sport it actually should not be possible for this statistic ( 1 free kick in a half ) to be possible in our game of AFL .
Umpires have a bloody hard job theyve been instructed to let the game flow by paying less free kicks therefore are selective in what they pay and dont pay and therefore leads to inconsistency in interpretations imo .
It is if you are constantly second to the contest or use the ball poorly leading to consistent turnovers.

Like when the opposition is a 5 win game better team like last week yet you still find a way to win the game for your retiring player type consideration.

You mean like when we also dominated the Suns? Would have been nice for Simmo to be able to play his last game against an easy kill

I don't think that is on the back of playing tall, more about missing targets

Being dominated by inside 50's also has little to do with our forward structure

Our mids got spanked in the middle during that period
It minimises the capacity to fold back with quicker high half forwards and exit the pressure between wing and half back. Instead of a lumbering a Cas, Pitto or TDK, you might have more fleet of foot and hand players able to help and rebound quicker. Dow comes to mind, perhaps Philp, Honet, Cottrell in the future.

We have fallen in love with the contested ball to the wing, hoping to clunk a mark. Hasn’t worked for more than a month consistently and we haven’t changed selection. Having PittO, TDK and Cas was deplorable selection. Surely leave out Pitto for a quicker playing in conditions that were always going to be dewey and ended up very wet to say the least. Needed speed and skills, Cotttrell would have helped with his endurance.

You mean like when we also dominated the Suns? Would have been nice for Simmo to be able to play his last game against an easy kill

No I mean like when Adelaide played us and they’re a five win worse team than us and they are an “easy kill” but were still able to find a way to win for their retiring player.

#ThankYouSimmo :'(

ThankYouSimmo-14.jpg

No I mean like when Adelaide played us and they’re a five win worse team than us and they are an “easy kill” but were still able to find a way to win for their retiring player.

Well that was the Crows choice to play Gibbs in that game then drop him and they did have reasonable form beating the Hawks and GWS prior to us

You know, form is never linear

Should we debate all the sides that lost when a player was retiring?

It is if you are constantly second to the contest or use the ball poorly leading to consistent turnovers.
Turnovers yes, we were chasing tail all the second quarter so the opportunity to give away frees is there but there is also the opportunity to be rewarded for hard work it doesn't just work one way I would hope .
Just find it hard to believe in a highly physical sport one team can only receive one free kick in a half of footy .

Turnovers yes, we were chasing tail all the second quarter so the opportunity to give away frees is there but there is also the opportunity to be rewarded for hard work it doesn't just work one way I would hope .
Just find it hard to believe in a highly physical sport one team can only receive one free kick in a half of footy .
There was some rubbish but, it wasn’t the reason we lost. Get ball, score goals.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He was the biggest positive to come out of this season for mine. A grade midfielder in the making.

Agree, along with Wash and Weiters confirming themselves and TDK, Harry and Willo each taking their respective next steps. Cunners seems to have toughened up a bit and throw in Martin and there’s quite a few pluses from this year. Oh and Charlie next year with Kemp.

He was the biggest positive to come out of this season for mine. A grade midfielder in the making.
A-grader? That's a big call.

I find Setterfield one of the hardest players on our list to form an opinion on. Lots to like but he fumbles way too much, it's a huge issue and I'm not sure it's something that's just going to stop happening. Also seems to be a bit of a space cadet at times just ball-watching, so maybe his intensity needs work.

Like his strength in the contest and vision though, will be a huge plus if he can continue to improve.

Now that I have overcome the frustration of losing and been able to reflect on the game, I am not overly unhappy with the way the game went down.

Clearly picked a team that was too tall. Hopefully that is consigned to the scrap heap for good. Haven't been so angry reading the teams since the days of Kreuzer, Warnock and Hampson all in the same side.

Gamed turned when it started hosing down at quarter time. Weiters and Newnes miss great options that were just too ambitious given how hard it was coming down. Newnes one especially made me mad as he had the easy quick kick but hesitated it became a harder kick. Team went into its shell and and played safe footy but over possessive footy. Needed to switch into wet weather footy mode. In this time Cripps injured himself and missed most of the quarter and our stoppage game fell apart. Looked like we left goal side of the stoppage just open for them and Neale seemed to be able to get the ball at will. The positive in this time was that we defended well and they only scored goals from frees or those horrific turnovers. Can't see their forward set up winning in finals

The real positive for the game was Teague losing it and hopefully the penny has dropped that he needs to be harder if he wants a long term future at the club.

One thing that dawned on me when I saw Oscar punching Walsh in the guts was who from Carlton has been cited for aggressive acts this season? As much as we would like the game to be played like ammos it's not. We need to get harder if we are going to be successful. Certainly can't put up with that crap.

Was there anything in that off the play gut punch McInerney did on Walsh? A quick replay was shown once...commentary made some joke about it and laughed it off and moved on.

Sickening what the commentators choose to laugh off or decide make a point on. Total boys club, a strike is a strike. AFL all bark no bite. Happened to Plow too.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

If anyone makes anymore excuses for Polson they need their heads checked. Nowhere near the level. Need to cut our losses and open up another spot if we are serious about going to the next level.

Teague is too emotionally attached to his players, the quicker he finds the balance between compassion and ruthlessness he'll take the team forward.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Just warming up? He's been running pretty hot for a good 2 months now!
Been on an upward curve since the Port game, every single game he got better and better and better.
The season being cut short I thought he had more in him, he's an endurance freak
Can't wait to see him in finals running past everyone
The talk at the end of his career won't be who could have been first selected in the draft
All the talk will be Hall of fame THE KID IS A GUN!

If anyone makes anymore excuses for Polson they need their heads checked. Nowhere near the level. Need to cut our losses and open up another spot if we are serious about going to the next level.

Teague is too emotionally attached to his players, the quicker he finds the balance between compassion and ruthlessness he'll take the team forward.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
Teague doesn't have final say, if the recruiting department are getting swayed by an emotionally attached coach it's on them more than Teague. I think Polson will be lucky to stay on the list with the reduced list sizes, no reduction and he'd be odds on to keep a spot.

So have we spoken about why there was no chair-off for Simmo and Kreuzer yet? Can't find anything in this thread... Seems a bit suss, given the issues stemming from the Gibbs saga last week? Anyone heard anything about it?

Back