Review Well played Bullies! Finals here we come.

Remove this Banner Ad

Gardner was -1 ranking points at the half and finished on 12. With 3 disposals, 0 marks, 2 clangers.

How does that qualify as pretty good?
Because those ranking points are totally irrelevant to some roles, including Gardner's.

Especially the AFL Fantasy ones. They're meaningless for a shut down defender.
Once again he had easily the most 1%ers on the ground.

Let me know how many goals and marks inside 50 his direct opponent got and we can start the discussion.

Bevo's response to Naighty's injury was very good. He's had some absolute howlers, but that was good coaching IMO.

Yes they would

I know blokes at local level that haven’t missed games.
Recent compressed cheekbone examples in the AFL:
- James Aish 2017, missed 2 games
- Trent Cotchin 2016, missed 2 games
- Marc Murphy 2013, missed 2 games
- Shane Mumford 2013, missed 3 games

Obviously depends on severity but you'd think he'll be working against the odds to be back in less than 2 weeks time.

Great win especially considering Bont and Macrae only had 20 each and were not their usual influence and B. Smith had average game by his standards but boy did Libba and Hunter step up to the plate, English was outstanding as well. R. Smith decision making is getting better and better and if he can get a good run with injuries will be a regular in the 22.

Good news for the final is that Bont, Macrae and B. Smith don't have two average games in a row so expect them to fire in EF.

Libba's 41 Pressure Acts is a season best and adjusted to 2019 game time would be a league record, and now here is the usual...

Expected Score
FR: 49
WB: 71

Ruck Contests (Hitouts/To Advantage)
67 - English (20/7)
9 - Bruce (9/1)
6 - Cordy (0/0)

First Possessions
FR: 39
WB: 35

Effective Clearances
FR: 23
WB: 27

Tackle Efficiency
FR: 62%
WB: 71%

Score Launches
3 - English
2 - Cordy, Duryea, Dunkley, Liberatore, Williams
1 - Bontempelli, Crozier, Daniel, R. Smith, Wood

Shots At Goal
FR: 15 (40%)

WB: 20 (55%)

Targets Inside 50
11 - Bruce
6 - Wallis
4 - Naughton
3 - Hunter
2 - Bontempelli, B. Smith, R. Smith,
1 - Dunkley, English, Keath, Liberatore

WB Kicks Inside 50
View attachment 966433

Turnovers Punished By Goals
2 - Cordy
1 - Bontempelli, Duryea

Pressure Gauge
FR: 171 (Below Average)
WB: 191 (Above Average)

Score Sources
View attachment 966438

Finally for those wondering Gardner did not have a goal kicked on him.
Love these reports. Thanks OG.
They're not the whole story by any means but they do give us another perspective.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gardner had a few good spoils but yes he does not offer anything offensively. It would be good if he could take a few marks, but then he would need to kick so 2 Clangers from 3 means probably better if he just punches. Unfortunately Cordy was shocking tonight.
I am in no way a Gardner fan but seriously anyone who does not think he was more than competent as a key defender tonight that also allowed Keath to go forward when Nauhts got injured really has never coached or been involved in senior football.

Sometimes a defender is actually just a defender, it is why the defensive unit is a team within a team

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

I am in no way a Gardner fan but seriously anyone who does not think he was more than competent as a key defender tonight that also allowed Keath to go forward when Nauhts got injured really has never coached or been involved in senior football.

Sometimes a defender is actually just a defender, it is why the defensive unit is a team within a team

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app
I thought the game has evolved and intercept marking defenders are more valuable. Must be wrong, would refer Ryan over Barass, Mcovering, Howe etc. yes he spoiled well but this is all he can do. I would prefer someone who could take an intercept mark.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back