Scandal Rio Tinto Sponsorship of the AFL. What's next, Tobacco or Taliban sponsorship?

Remove this Banner Ad

I note with interest that the WA government (and the people who elect it) is inconsequential to the rag that is The Guardian and its oh so predictable, outrage addicted readers.

Despite that government specifically approving this action and hundreds of others like it for decades (in reality not just approving but actively encouraging). Without a peep of protest from the broader WA community who are far more attached to their mining royalties and fat FIFO incomes.

But hey. It's much more satisfying getting all outraged at an evil corporation.

The truth is that sites of archeological significance are identified in the way of commercial activity all over the world on a routine basis. And just as routinely the activity is put on hold, the archeology gets done, and then away we go.

The Taliban blew up religious sites because they are zealots.

There was no such malice in what Rio Tinto did. There wasn't a group of white men in a meeting saying "how can we blow up ancient aboriginal caves?"

It's impossible for them to have not known. They just did it for $ not religion. That said, better in the AFL's pocket than other sports.

jv2MNwK.gif

Everybodies got a price

Gil doesn't care

Nah, more like freo and McDonald's
Nah, Fremantle just take Maccas money as a minor sponsor, they don't use their players to promote junk food to kids like WCE do (after hypocritically doing a complete 360 on the issue).

Nah, Fremantle just take Maccas money as a minor sponsor, they don't use their players to promote junk food to kids like WCE do (after hypocritically doing a complete 360 on the issue).
Lol..so FOS

I note with interest that the WA government (and the people who elect it) is inconsequential to the rag that is The Guardian and its oh so predictable, outrage addicted readers.

Despite that government specifically approving this action and hundreds of others like it for decades (in reality not just approving but actively encouraging). Without a peep of protest from the broader WA community who are far more attached to their mining royalties and fat FIFO incomes.
Why can't people deem it unacceptable now? Do they have to keep the same stance just to remain consistent with a previous generation of people?

By the way, this demolition was approved in 2013 by the Barnett government, not the present government.

But hey. It's much more satisfying getting all outraged at an evil corporation.
Are they not allowed to do both?

The truth is that sites of archeological significance are identified in the way of commercial activity all over the world on a routine basis. And just as routinely the activity is put on hold, the archeology gets done, and then away we go.
That's not what articles say about the process in Australia specifically. What happens in other parts of the world isn't relevant.

Why can't people deem it unacceptable now? Do they have to keep the same stance just to remain consistent with a previous generation of people?

By the way, this demolition was approved in 2013 by the Barnett government, not the present government.

Yes. Deem it unacceptable if you wish.

But don't hide behind party politics. You are the government, and let me break the news to you. The party or the name at the head of a government make SFA difference.

That's not what articles say about the process in Australia specifically. What happens in other parts of the world isn't relevant.

Ok. Let me make it really simple. Hundreds of these applications have been made in WA alone, in a mining context alone, and approved.

Which is quite consistent with longstanding and current processes in this country and other countries in a multitude of different settings.

Geez Louise. Maybe this example has special merit for outrage, maybe it does not have special merit for outrage and it is the one among literally hundreds the great unwashed have got their panties in a bunch over without any particular reason on merit.

Either way, it is the government (IE you) that bears the major share of responsibility.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ok. Let me make it really simple. Hundreds of these applications have been made in WA alone, in a mining context alone, and approved.

Which is quite consistent with longstanding and current processes in this country and other countries in a multitude of different settings.
Okay, so what's the problem with people taking issue with it now?

Geez Louise. Maybe this example has special merit for outrage, maybe it does not have special merit for outrage and it is the one among literally hundreds the great unwashed have got their panties in a bunch over without any particular reason on merit.
Are you saying that because people didn't complain about it before, they're not allowed to complain now? Even if the people involved are different?

Either way, it is the government (IE you) that bears the major share of responsibility.
You seem very determined to conflate me with the government. Are you under the impression that I am the current or former WA Minister for Aboriginal Affairs?

Go thought most big companies and you will find problems. How many have been found to have under-paid staff lately. How many banks etc were charging dead people for advise as per the royal commission.

Nothing wrong with RIO, one of the best mining companies in the world. The woke crew really need to harden up.

Are they not allowed to do both?

7 years of no change of mind or appeals ?

Yes. Deem it unacceptable if you wish.

But don't hide behind party politics. You are the government, and let me break the news to you. The party or the name at the head of a government make SFA difference.

BHP has approval to do similar at their South Flank project which is pretty much an extension of the mine I work at.

With the fall out that Rio have copped, BHP have now gone all woke.

In the Rio instance they had approval to do what they did, all the checks had been done but it appears the artifacts were a lot older than first thought and Rio blew it up anyway. (a simplistic version)

Okay, so what's the problem with people taking issue with it now?

Are you saying that because people didn't complain about it before, they're not allowed to complain now? Even if the people involved are different?

You seem very determined to conflate me with the government. Are you under the impression that I am the current or former WA Minister for Aboriginal Affairs?

No. I am under the impression that you are a person who will go through any type of mental gymnastics to maintain the virtue signalling rage at an evil corporation, and without the maturity to accept that this whole furore is a brief flash of indulgence which in the long term will change nothing.

Like the treatment of the mighty Murray the mining licences thrown like confetti and most of our gas controlled by other countries.
The people who profit are not at fault if it’s within the rules.
It’s our government that is the disgrace!
lubing up and bending over For anyone with a dollar.
Destroying our land selling our assets and taxing the people more then the multinationals.
There is never any fore site just hunting for instant gratification.

No. I am under the impression that you are a person who will go through any type of mental gymnastics to maintain the virtue signalling rage at an evil corporation, and without the maturity to accept that this whole furore is a brief flash of indulgence which in the long term will change nothing.
That's some lovely word salad you've made there. By the way, are you the government or a non-voting anarchist? Since we apparently have to be one or the other.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back