Team Mgmt. 2021 starting 22

Remove this Banner Ad

Great hypothetical
lets say Daniher leaving gets us pick after our own which means dodo dodoro made a huge blunder not trading him last year- another story
saad Leaving gets us carltons first Round pick- huge loss
we Are able to pick up Charlie constable in a three way for Fantasia which is possible- would have got much more last year Adrian!
hurley and hooker leave for salary dump and morale purposes

we get to the club for fantasy sake Phillips ODriscall and Callow as well as brand and eyre

b. Redman bzt Ambrose
hb. Ridley Francis ham
c. Shiel Langford Merrett
hf. Parish jones tippa
f. Laverde stringer smith
foll. Draper constable mcgrath
int. Stewart Phillips Clarke odriscall

this side is a 8 to 14 side but would clear salary cap
it would also hopefully adopt a decent playing style and would make the club a desirable destination for young talent in 2022
jones, callow and eyre would be 3 promising talls in forward line
while Francis bzt and brand are all still young it would be great to have a fit Ambrose to protect them a bit
No room for the skipper?

You can't have pressure if you haven't got speed. We need speed, speed and more speed.
Have a look at Richmond's closing down speed pressure. That's pressure.

Great hypothetical
lets say Daniher leaving gets us pick after our own which means dodo dodoro made a huge blunder not trading him last year- another story
saad Leaving gets us carltons first Round pick- huge loss
we Are able to pick up Charlie constable in a three way for Fantasia which is possible- would have got much more last year Adrian!
hurley and hooker leave for salary dump and morale purposes

we get to the club for fantasy sake Phillips ODriscall and Callow as well as brand and eyre

b. Redman bzt Ambrose
hb. Ridley Francis ham
c. Shiel Langford Merrett
hf. Parish jones tippa
f. Laverde stringer smith
foll. Draper constable mcgrath
int. Stewart Phillips Clarke odriscall

this side is a 8 to 14 side but would clear salary cap
it would also hopefully adopt a decent playing style and would make the club a desirable destination for young talent in 2022
jones, callow and eyre would be 3 promising talls in forward line
while Francis bzt and brand are all still young it would be great to have a fit Ambrose to protect them a bit
we'd be a lock for bottom 4 for a while.

Our major strength was our backline
McKenna is gone. Saad possibly too. Hooker and Hurley are in their twilight.
We were probably due some re-enforcements this year, but given we're also likely to lose our best forward/player and the midfield is unbalanced and our depth is shot, we've got leaks all over the ground now.

This isn't really a prediction, more a complete pipe dream and will never, ever happen. I know. But I've had a few beers and I dare to dream. This is also under the proviso that we still aim to compete in the next 2-3 years as I don't think Xavier will want to rebuild, and personally I don't think we're that screwed a full rebuild is necessary.

FB - Francis - Talia - Redman
HB - Ridley - Brand - McQuillan
C - Merrett - McGrath - Heppell
HF - Tipungwuti - Daniher - Snelling
FF - Smith - Cameron - Stringer
FOL - Draper - Shiel - Green
INT - O'Driscoll - Brodie - Langford - ZerkThatcher
EMG - Gleeson - Phillips - Stewart - Blakely

Ins:

Tom Green (GWS) for pick 14. (Hard at it, mean looking mother*er who I think is exactly who we need and the polar opposite of what we have now.)
Will Brodie (GC) for pick 31. (Think he's underrated at GC. Has some good skills and a decent engine. Big unit and not afraid to use it either.)
Daniel Talia (ADL) (Would be a decent stop-gap KPD replacement. Not worldbeating, but just decent. Shouldn't be on massive coin.)
Connor Blakely (FRE) (Is hard-nosed and could at least be serviceable, certainly no-worse than we have now).
Jeremy Cameron (GWS) as a FA. (Super-talented and I think if we plan to compete, he will be a handy addition. Would also take attention off Joe.)
O'Driscoll drafted with pick 9. (Same as Green. Looks like an absolute roughhouser. Get in.)
Brand drafted with pick 20. (Should develop into a promising KPP, however I'm not sure if 20 is overs or unders for him with NGA.)
??????? drafted with pick 16. (A Dodo specialty. Free rein to get the best Half back flanker in all the land.)

Outs:

Zaka, Hooker, Hurley traded. (Cap dumps, expecting nothing in return, don't see anyone taking Zaka tbh).
Saad to St Kilda for pick 14. (Great bloke, great player, but offers upwards of $700k/5 years that I've seen rumoured aren't worth it tbh. Good luck to him.)
Fantasia to Adelaide for Talia and pick 31. (Doubt we're the club that will get Raz right. I know he's backended but he's had enough time.)
Parish to Geelong for pick 16. (Too nice of a player and I don't see him ever becoming an elite mid. Probably the most expendable of our schoolboy crew.)
Guelfi and 42 to Fremantle for Blakely. (Meh. If he wants to go, then ciao. Don't mind him but won't lose sleep over it.)

Swaps:

Pick 6 + 2021 2nd rounder to Adelaide in exchange for Pick 9 + Pick 20

That's the general idea. Not too hung up on semantics and later picks, but that's the gist of what I'd like to see. Probably need another defender or so, and this is obviously assuming McQuillan has a big summer. Apologies if I missed anyone of note.

If hooker is anywhere near our best 22 come round 1 we're going backwards already. Gotta play the kids.

This isn't really a prediction, more a complete pipe dream and will never, ever happen. I know. But I've had a few beers and I dare to dream. This is also under the proviso that we still aim to compete in the next 2-3 years as I don't think Xavier will want to rebuild, and personally I don't think we're that screwed a full rebuild is necessary.

FB - Francis - Talia - Redman
HB - Ridley - Brand - McQuillan
C - Merrett - McGrath - Heppell
HF - Tipungwuti - Daniher - Snelling
FF - Smith - Cameron - Stringer
FOL - Draper - Shiel - Green
INT - O'Driscoll - Brodie - Langford - ZerkThatcher
EMG - Gleeson - Phillips - Stewart - Blakely

Ins:

Tom Green (GWS) for pick 14. (Hard at it, mean looking motherf***er who I think is exactly who we need and the polar opposite of what we have now.)
Will Brodie (GC) for pick 31. (Think he's underrated at GC. Has some good skills and a decent engine. Big unit and not afraid to use it either.)
Daniel Talia (ADL) (Would be a decent stop-gap KPD replacement. Not worldbeating, but just decent. Shouldn't be on massive coin.)
Connor Blakely (FRE) (Is hard-nosed and could at least be serviceable, certainly no-worse than we have now).
Jeremy Cameron (GWS) as a FA. (Super-talented and I think if we plan to compete, he will be a handy addition. Would also take attention off Joe.)
O'Driscoll drafted with pick 9. (Same as Green. Looks like an absolute roughhouser. Get in.)
Brand drafted with pick 20. (Should develop into a promising KPP, however I'm not sure if 20 is overs or unders for him with NGA.)
??????? drafted with pick 16. (A Dodo specialty. Free rein to get the best Half back flanker in all the land.)

Outs:

Zaka, Hooker, Hurley traded. (Cap dumps, expecting nothing in return, don't see anyone taking Zaka tbh).
Saad to St Kilda for pick 14. (Great bloke, great player, but offers upwards of $700k/5 years that I've seen rumoured aren't worth it tbh. Good luck to him.)
Fantasia to Adelaide for Talia and pick 31. (Doubt we're the club that will get Raz right. I know he's backended but he's had enough time.)
Parish to Geelong for pick 16. (Too nice of a player and I don't see him ever becoming an elite mid. Probably the most expendable of our schoolboy crew.)
Guelfi and 42 to Fremantle for Blakely. (Meh. If he wants to go, then ciao. Don't mind him but won't lose sleep over it.)

Swaps:

Pick 6 + 2021 2nd rounder to Adelaide in exchange for Pick 9 + Pick 20

That's the general idea. Not too hung up on semantics and later picks, but that's the gist of what I'd like to see. Probably need another defender or so, and this is obviously assuming McQuillan has a big summer. Apologies if I missed anyone of note.
Mate youre absolutely kidding yourself. We cannot and will get any of those players, what could we possibly sell them?

Mate youre absolutely kidding yourself. We cannot and will get any of those players, what could we possibly sell them?
Well I prefaced the whole thing with "it's just what I would like to see but it won't happen". But I do understand your point.

What did the Lakers have to sell LeBron James during his last move? Not much in terms of a playing group. But the club has a lot of rich history, it has the name, a strong supporter base and the scope to be successful. We instantly have an advantage over most other clubs in that sense. What kid grows up and dreams of playing for GWS in front of a pack 10k stadium?

I'd expect us to competitive next year with the right list changes. Does that mean competing for top 4? No. But I don't subscribe to the fact that we're ruined, in need of a full rebuild and we'll be bottom dwellers for the next 5 years.

Who honestly thought Richmond would win the 2017 flag after the end of 2016 season when they lost to Sydney by 111 points? Finishing 13th, no less. Nobody thought they had the list to do so either. I'm not saying we're going to do the same, but your fortunates can change a lot quicker than you think.

I'm actually pretty optimistic (trade/draft period pending) about the next couple years. Won't really delve into why here because it's not the place.

Looking at Green and Brodie - I'm sure they would love to actually play in front of some fans (and Brodie get a game at least). Tom Green will probably be behind Taranto/Hately/Ward etc as your inside mid for the next few years, and he's only played 6 games this year. Why wouldn't he love to be the main inside mid at our club? I don't see why being GWS depth is better, as if they're some world-beaters themselves. Imagine going from playing in front of basically nobody to a roaring ANZAC Day crowd of 100k people (if COVID ever ends lol).

Cameron we could offer money and another star KPF to play with to give him a chop out. I will agree though that your point applies to Cameron the most.

Blakely isn't even getting a game at Freo and I don't think that will change. Won't take any convincing.

Talia plays for Adelaide ffs, we'd be a huge upgrade.

Last edited:
Well I prefaced the whole thing with "it's just what I would like to see but it won't happen". But I do understand your point.

What did the Lakers have to sell LeBron James during his last move? Not much in terms of a playing group. But the club has a lot of rich history, it has the name, a strong supporter base and the scope to be successful. We instantly have an advantage over most other clubs in that sense. What kid grows up and dreams of playing for GWS in front of a pack 10k stadium?

I'd expect us to competitive next year with the right list changes. Does that mean competing for top 4? No. But I don't subscribe to the fact that we're ruined, in need of a full rebuild and we'll be bottom dwellers for the next 5 years.

Who honestly thought Richmond would win the 2017 flag after the end of 2016 season when they lost to Sydney by 111 points? Finishing 13th, no less. Nobody thought they had the list to do so either. I'm not saying we're going to do the same, but your fortunates can change a lot quicker than you think.

I'm actually pretty optimistic (trade/draft period pending) about the next couple years. Won't really delve into why here because it's not the place.

Looking at Green and Brodie - I'm sure they would love to actually play in front of some fans (and Brodie get a game at least). Tom Green will probably be behind Taranto/Hately/Ward etc as your inside mid for the next few years, and he's only played 6 games this year. Why wouldn't he love to be the main inside mid at our club? I don't see why being GWS depth is better, as if they're some world-beaters themselves. Imagine going from playing in front of basically nobody to a roaring ANZAC Day crowd of 100k people (if COVID ever ends lol).

Cameron we could offer money and another star KPF to play with to give him a chop out. I will agree though that your point applies to Cameron the most.

Blakely isn't even getting a game at Freo and I don't think that will change. Won't take any convincing.

Talia plays for Adelaide ffs, we'd be a huge upgrade.

Ward is almost done, doubt Green leaves. There's other GWS mids that might be gettable though - Caldwell / Hateley, both of whom would likely be in our starting 22.

Brodie + Wright out of GCS makes way too much sense as guys that would pretty much walk in to our best-22 and wouldn't cost a whole lot given they're not getting games. GCS seem much more pragmatic traders these days. Brodie needs to work on his two-way running is the main criticism, but his inside game suits us very well.

Blakely gets a lot of it but apparently has horrendous disposal, not sure if he's what we need. But certainly seems like Fremantle would be happy to let him go.

Ward is almost done, doubt Green leaves. There's other GWS mids that might be gettable though - Caldwell / Hateley, both of whom would likely be in our starting 22.

Brodie + Wright out of GCS makes way too much sense as guys that would pretty much walk in to our best-22 and wouldn't cost a whole lot given they're not getting games. GCS seem much more pragmatic traders these days. Brodie needs to work on his two-way running is the main criticism, but his inside game suits us very well.

Blakely gets a lot of it but apparently has horrendous disposal, not sure if he's what we need. But certainly seems like Fremantle would be happy to let him go.
I've heard from quite a decent source that if Hately leaves, he'd want to come back to SA. Caldwell looks like a decent player but yet another around the piddly 182cm mark. We need a proper unit on the inside.

Apparently we've been linked with Brodie, so there's that. Also on Wright; not sold on him. He's 24 and been...lbh, not great for most of his career. Plus he's on big coin too for a bloke who isn't even best 22 at the Suns. I don't think he'd be much of an upgrade on Stewart, if he is at all.

I think the knocks on Blakely are a bit overdone. He's seriously a decent player who is underachieving right now at Fremantle.

First post in yonks.. come at me
With the list as it stands and everyone optimistically fit and healthy

FB: Devon Smith Patrick Ambrose Jordan Ridley
HB: Adam Saad Brandon Zerk-Thatcher Dyson Heppell
C: Zach Merrett Aaron Francis Andrew McGrath
HF: Tipungwuti Joe Daniher Harrison Jones
FF: Will Snelling James Stewart Ned Cahill

R: Sam Draper Jake Stringer Kyle Langford

Bench: Dylan Shiel Darcy Parish Jayden Laverde Hooker/Hurley

Big Aaron Francis to jog around freely clunking hangers all day on smaller opponents like whenever Rory Lobb plays us.
Fight me.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've heard from quite a decent source that if Hately leaves, he'd want to come back to SA. Caldwell looks like a decent player but yet another around the piddly 182cm mark. We need a proper unit on the inside.

Apparently we've been linked with Brodie, so there's that. Also on Wright; not sold on him. He's 24 and been...lbh, not great for most of his career. Plus he's on big coin too for a bloke who isn't even best 22 at the Suns. I don't think he'd be much of an upgrade on Stewart, if he is at all.

I think the knocks on Blakely are a bit overdone. He's seriously a decent player who is underachieving right now at Fremantle.

Caldwell sounds a bit Lachie Neale-esque, he's not big but he's a tough inside player with some speed away from a stoppage.

I'd be looking at all avenues to bolster our midfield; Blakely + Brodie + Caldwell might all be gettable, and see which of them work out.

No room for the skipper?
He is finished
Keep him around next year as he is a quality person and then move him on
McGrath should be skipper next year for mine

we'd be a lock for bottom 4 for a while.

Our major strength was our backline
McKenna is gone. Saad possibly too. Hooker and Hurley are in their twilight.
We were probably due some re-enforcements this year, but given we're also likely to lose our best forward/player and the midfield is unbalanced and our depth is shot, we've got leaks all over the ground now.
We do anyway
Daniher ain’t the answer at essendon
Hooker and Hurley are our version of jade Rawlings and Jonathan jay but we Should have traded them 2 years ago
Would like to keep saad for sure but if he ain’t happy time to go
Essendon played with no spirit until the last quarter
I think too many players at our club are malcontents who haven’t got over the saga
The problem is these players influence others as well
Surely time for a new start new era
I would rather finish 16 th with kids on the up than 13th with players that pick and choose which is certainly happening now

I think too many players at our club are malcontents who haven’t got over the saga
The problem is these players influence others as well

Agreed, this is totally the clubs fault too. The soft feeding them back into the club and giving them pity games set the tone. Best thing we could have done for them is given them hard truths and brought in some genuine hard bodies to follow.

Nothing about Ablett has ever screamed out as the guy you'd bring in to set standards.
The standard of our Midfield isn't exactly high.
Plus even at 44 or whatever age Ablett is we'd get more games out of him than Hepps.

B: Francis - Hurley - ????
HB: Smith - Zerk - Ridley
C: Heppell - McGrath - Parish
HF: Langford - ???? - Snelling
F: Stringer - ???? - Tipungwuti
R: Draper - Shiel - Merrett
I: Stewart - Ham - ???? - ????

Changed mine slightly for what will be the first of many, many times.

I have five open spots. Be good for Daniher and Saad to fill two of them, but who knows.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back