Roast Media Shakes Head, Part 7

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

I'd be pretty upset at my Club if they decided to publicly name those who'd pledged. It is a slap in the face to those members - equally loyal - who may not have been able to afford to pledge given the circumstances this year. Poor form.

We had the same discussion yesterday when I visited my parents and they reminded me what a newspaper looked like.
I had a look at the names and both my mother (who was standing next to me at the time) and my brother (another one-eyed Port supporter) were listed in there as {Initial} {Surname). We have not checked yet but there must be 2 doppelgangers with those initials that we are not aware of. My mother made it VERY clear it wasn't her after some good humoured goading.

I was disappointed they didn't have a separate liftout for dog memberships, 4000 Chow Chow's named Adelaide, Anastasia, Rory or Tex would have been great Sunday reading.

I'd be pretty upset at my Club if they decided to publicly name those who'd pledged. It is a slap in the face to those members - equally loyal - who may not have been able to afford to pledge given the circumstances this year. Poor form.
Classic private school fundraising behaviour.

And hence, entirely fitting to see that repeated in the AFL equivalent environment.

Genuine question. In your work places, what is the mix of Crows fans to Port fans?

I find the militant bias perplexing sometimes. I get the amongst the older generation that reads the Advertiser, watches Ch 7 news and listens to 5AA that there is probably a significant weighting in their favour, but just in general life amongst the living, I don't see it as much.

My work place, and associated businesses, based in North Adelaide and with people from all over Adelaide (albeit a lot of Southern European heritage), it's at worst 50/50, but probably more weighted towards Port. These on the whole are professionals as well.

Is the Crows have the overwhelming majority of supporters in the state and therefore the ridiculous media bias an outdated concept?

Genuine question. In your work places, what is the mix of Crows fans to Port fans?

I find the militant bias perplexing sometimes. I get the amongst the older generation that reads the Advertiser, watches Ch 7 news and listens to 5AA that there is probably a significant weighting in their favour, but just in general life amongst the living, I don't see it as much.

My work place, and associated businesses, based in North Adelaide and with people from all over Adelaide (albeit a lot of Southern European heritage), it's at worst 50/50, but probably more weighted towards Port. These on the whole are professionals as well.

Is the Crows have the overwhelming majority of supporters in the state and therefore the ridiculous media bias an outdated concept?
There's a lot of Port supporters at my work, but I suspect we're still outnumbered by Crows supporters (not by much though). A surprising number who follow other AFL teams too (I can immediately think of folks who barrack for Collingwood, Essendon, Hawthorn & Brisbane). No militant bias that I can recall, just some decent banter.

Most of the Crows supporters I know would have been a bit embarrassed by that pathetic lift out in the Sunday Mail.

In my office there are 4 Footy fans, 2 Crows, 1 Carlton (all 3 also support Sturt), leaving me as the only Port fan. Fair to say I've had a fair bit to gloat about but the 2 Crows fans are pretty sanguine about their predicament. The boss is a Crows fan so I'm not tempted to leave a wooden spoon on his desk until after we win the Flag ...

7 Port
1 Essendon
1 semi Gold Coast

Perfect

60/40, however I find they have a larger contingent of casual supporters - people that have never supported the Crows financially.
Port people are almost always more diehard.

In terms of 'supporters', the overwhelming majority is Port Adelaide. However if the Crows are up and about there would be a ~3:1 outnumber from blow ins and people who swear they've been there since Romano Negri was plying his trade, without actually knowing who he is or what tiling company he operates.

I would say in my working life ive worked with probably 200 people, and only one was a genuine Crows supporter. Id say 30-40 would class themselves Crows fans, but none had a membership, none went to games and they were all the mouthiest of the lot.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

50/50 of the SA teams, those serious about footy trend to Ports.
The Crows a larger number of 'defaults'.
About a similar number to interstate teams.

I handed out 6 spoons today to the actual football fans.

The only ones who arc up after a Port loss haven't been to a game since 2009.

Last edited:
I would say in my working life ive worked with probably 200 people, and only one was a genuine Crows supporter. Id say 30-40 would class themselves Crows fans, but none had a membership, none went to games and they were all the mouthiest of the lot.
I have found this over the years. The non member/game attending ones who are kind of just part timers, and can name maybe the top 5 players and that is it, are the most obnoxious. They only need to see the Crows are higher on the ladder, or won the showdown to be experts on the game and bring out the trash talk.

Most Crows supporters I've known didn't have memberships and yep they mouthed off heaps.

They have an overwhelming majority of Boomers. You know, as you say, the people who read papers, listen to the radio and still watch the news on TV.

Anyone under 50 who supports the Crows has made a very very poor life choice.

Most Crows supporters I've known didn't have memberships and yep they mouthed off heaps.
This is something I found interesting from that list of paid up customers, the most vocal pro-Crow, Port hating people I work with aren't even paid up members.

I have found this over the years. The non member/game attending ones who are kind of just part timers, and can name maybe the top 5 players and that is it, are the most obnoxious. They only need to see the Crows are higher on the ladder, or won the showdown to be experts on the game and bring out the trash talk.
Its always fun to reply by asking them who their captain is or where their seats are lol.

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

This is something I found interesting from that list of paid up customers, the most vocal pro-Crow, Port hating people I work with aren't even paid up members.

Been going through the list looking for some of the biggest Camry blowhards that I know and I've found their names are also absent. Says a lot about that Franchise and the people it attracts.

Its always fun to reply by asking them who their captain is or where their seats are lol.

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app
It's pretty easy for me.

Crow Lite - Hey Chiwigi did you see the result on the weekend, how great are the Pride of SA?
Chiwigi - Yeah, they played well, how did it look at the ground?
Crow Lite- Ah, I didn't go to the game, had "insert excuse here"
Chiwigi - Fair enough, how do you think Rory went, I thought he was ok?
Crow Lite - Don't know, didn't actually watch it on TV.
Chiwigi - THEN * OFF TALKING TO ME YOU ******* campaigner BUCKET W#$@ STAIN.

Last edited:
Only a small workplace and the only footy fan there. From dealing with clients I've come across the Crows supporter numbers being higher in Government agencies then in the Private sector. I know only one actual Crows member, a female friend in her 40's. She goes to games and knows I'm a Port member going to Port games. Is never mouthy about how they are going compared to us or feels the need to bring up Port at all. In short a rare Crows supporter you don't want to walk away from as soon as you mention you support Port and mouth frothing starts.

The casual supporters that never attend and struggle beyond their top half a dozen players are by the far the worst of the lot I've encountered, which seems to be a general thing from reactions here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back