Prediction 2021 best 22

Remove this Banner Ad

Nov 7, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Manchester City, Collingwood AFLW
Hey all, thought it might be worth theory crafting for next season and theorising what we might get in

Outs from 2020: Jacobs, Shaw, Williams, Corr, Hately, Caldwell, Langdon, Cameron
INS: Preuss, Hogan

FB: Haynes, Davis, Ash
HB: Whitfield, Taylor, Perryman
C: O'Halloran, Taranto, Kelly
HF: Greene, Hogan , Daniels
FF: Hill, Riccardi, Himmelberg
Foll: Preuss, Hopper, Green
IN/T: Finlayson , Ward, Coniglio, Cumming

EMG: Flynn, Keeffe, Lloyd, Idun

Working on the assumption that we recruit no one this is what I think the 22 next year would be, will update as list changes are made

Last edited:
HH Keefe Shaw
Ash Haynes Whitters
Kenners Cogs Polec
Binga Jezza Toby
Hill Ricca (New pressure small)

Flynn (Or new ruck)
Tom
Kelly

Inter: Taylor, Ward, Hopper, Caldwell

Trade
- Taranto for a decent Ruck
- Perryman for a good small forward
- Corr for Polec
- Williams for a compo pick

- Taranto for a decent Ruck
- Perryman for a good small forward
If Taranto is the cost for a mature ruck I'd much rather back in Flynn and Briggs, Taranto is a future star, wouldn't trade him for anything less than two early first rounders, so I'm talking a Gawn/ Grundy in return is what a fair trade would be imo
I'd also rather keep Perryman, and I think our top end smalls in Hill and Daniels are good, and will only get better considering their age, and would rather attack the draft or look for a cheap trade option, not many, if any, Small Forwards in the league worth Pez imo

Willams gone

Gutted. We would have been a lot further down the ladder without Zac this year

That stings

On CPH2009 using BigFooty.com mobile app
Yep, he’s a huge loss. Big game player. The 2018 final against the Swans first up and the 2019 Prelim were amazing performances.

Hope they don’t use this departure as a reason to hang onto Shaw for yet another year.

Ruck? It’s time to give Flynn and Briggs a shot

We have an All Australian small fwd in Greene and Hill is getting better every game.
Why has Flynn not played???
Im ok with Flynn if we believe he is ready otherwise we require a decent ruck.

I would trade Taranto as he will have value and interest from Vic clubs.

The reason I would trade Taranto is we cant play Hopper, Green & Taranto at the same time. we did Friday night and it was a fail. the three of them are too slow and very limited kicks. At least Green offers a bit more size and is prepared to handball instead of rush kicks to no-one!

The reason I would trade Taranto is we cant play Hopper, Green & Taranto at the same time. we did Friday night and it was a fail. the three of them are too slow and very limited kicks. At least Green offers a bit more size and is prepared to handball instead of rush kicks to no-one!

It would be ridiculous to trade Taranto especially when you consider this guy won our best fairest last year in a year in which we made our first grand final and was the only guy in our team who could hold his head up in that grand final. Also unlike the other guys you mentioned he can actually have an impact in the forward line.

A question we have all been asking considering how the mummy and sauce went. If he isn’t ready by now we should be signing him or letting him go.

he won our best and fairest last season and was injured for half this one so I wouldn’t be over the moon about it at all.

we failed against the Saints, that’s not one of them.
I reckon move Daniels and try him in the middle, he definitely has the zip.

It would be ridiculous to trade Taranto especially when you consider this guy won our best fairest last year in a year in which we made our first grand final and was the only guy in our team who could hold his head up in that grand final. Also unlike the other guys you mentioned he can actually have an impact in the forward line.
I understand the apprehension in trading Taranto, but here me out. I think we can only play two of either Taranto/Hopper/TGreen. so we need to trade one now whilst they have value. Taranto will get us the most value because of the B&F etc, but he is not that much better than Hopper or the projection of Tom Green. I look at Tom Green and think of Josh Kennedy. Tom will offer something different in the middle once he grows into his body. Hopper is limited and gives his all yet the output is not that much less than Taranto. Tim will demand greater dollars that could be utilised elsewhere. All three are slow, poor kicks, have no left foot. Tim is a better contested mark, but I have no confidence in his kicking ability. I think Hopper is better at stoppage goals and will be $200k cheaper than Taranto. The option is lose Green to another club because of limited game time and continue to watch the footy get hacked out of the middle week in week out.

I understand the apprehension in trading Taranto, but here me out. I think we can only play two of either Taranto/Hopper/TGreen. so we need to trade one now whilst they have value. Taranto will get us the most value because of the B&F etc, but he is not that much better than Hopper or the projection of Tom Green. I look at Tom Green and think of Josh Kennedy. Tom will offer something different in the middle once he grows into his body. Hopper is limited and gives his all yet the output is not that much less than Taranto. Tim will demand greater dollars that could be utilised elsewhere. All three are slow, poor kicks, have no left foot. Tim is a better contested mark, but I have no confidence in his kicking ability. I think Hopper is better at stoppage goals and will be $200k cheaper than Taranto. The option is lose Green to another club because of limited game time and continue to watch the footy get hacked out of the middle week in week out.

It would be foolish to trade any of them right now especially Taranto who not only loves the club but also in the words of Ward is a future captain of the club.

I don’t mind the idea of trade of Hopper or Taranto.
I think you’re being a little quick to judge Tom as a poor kick. He’ll be fine.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Trading Taranto would be positively stupid.
He was flying until the injury and people forget that his dad is in the US and couldn't travel to visit as previous years.
He and Hopper are a great combo. They carried us in 2019. TT can also play well forward.

Flynn should be AFL ready with another pre-season, but he will struggle at times like all new rucks.
Gawn only got good at 23-24.

Haynes Davis Ash
Cumming Taylor Whitfield
Kelly Taranto Coniglio
Greene Cameron Daniels
Hill HH Lloyd
New ruck Green Hopper

Ward Perryman Finlayson Hately/Caldwell/DeBoer

more importantly.. get some quality defensive structures

Haynes Davis Ash
Whitfield Taylor Cumming/O'Halloran
Kelly Hopper Caldwell
Greene Cameron Daniels
Hill Riccardi Coniglio
Flynn Green Taranto
Perryman Ward HH/Finlayson DeBoer/Lloyd/O'Halloran

Hopefully, but unlikely!

It would be foolish to trade any of them right now especially Taranto who not only loves the club but also in the words of Ward is a future captain of the club.
And who knows, this could happen as early as next year with Cooper "leadership consultant" Cronk steering the changes there.

Dunno if Flynn and Briggs are ready I remember reading a report on the twos late in the year where it said Sauce was dominating the other rucks at training and it made me worry. If he was not good enough at afl level but better than flynn who at the time was playing reserves..... maybe he isnt ready

With lots of question marks over the list for next year we do know enough for the makeup of a best 22

Cumming Davis Haynes
Ash Taylor Ward
Perryman Coniglio Kelly
Whitfield Cameron Daniels
Hill TOJ Greene
Flynn/Briggs/?? Hopper Taranto
Riccardi HH Caldwell Green

Keefe MDB Kennedy Lloyd Langdon (??) Shipley

I think the club will do its best to keep Caldwell but if he goes I think the club will try to keep O'Halloran
HH to play both ends of the ground unless the club recruits a experienced defender

Last edited:
With lots of question marks over the list for next year we do know enough for the makeup of a best 22

Cumming Davis Haynes
Ash Taylor Ward
Perryman Coniglio Kelly
Whitfield Cameron Daniels
Hill TOJ Greene
Flynn/Briggs/?? Hopper Taranto
Riccardi HH Caldwell Green

Keefe MDB Lloyd Langdon (??) Shipley

I think the club will do its best to keep Caldwell but if he goes I think the club will try to keep O'Halloran
HH to play both ends of the ground unless the club recruits a experienced defender
We would get smashed on the outside with this line up.
Perryman and Kelly don't play the wing well and go kick chasing. If you look at Perrymans heat map plenty of red through the centre and very little out wide.
We need true wingman like Scully, Polec etc.

We would get smashed on the outside with this line up.
Perryman and Kelly don't play the wing well and go kick chasing. If you look at Perrymans heat map plenty of red through the centre and very little out wide.
We need true wingman like Scully, Polec etc.

Any options on the list you would play on the wing?

Kennedy is an option but I dont think he ever got going this year with the injury and how the season played out

Any options on the list you would play on the wing?

Kennedy is an option but I dont think he ever got going this year with the injury and how the season played out
I like Kenners as he will get back and help the defenders and keeps his width. does tend to kick it high and long, but he plays the role correctly.
I think Jack Buckley might end up on a wing. He has both pace and endurance - that's a start.
I would love to get Polec and pay only say $400k of the $650 salary in a straight swap for Corr.
Polec killed us in round 2 when we again played an inside mid on the wing (Cal Ward) Polec kicked two goals and kept driving the ball inside 50.
Unless there is other issues with Polec, he is a must.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back