Autopsy Dogs Want It More (74 - 44)

Remove this Banner Ad

You don’t need to tell me, he was a terrible kick at times. I don’t think Acres is the answer though

Definitely not the answer. Great steak knives but no Danyle Pearce. We need someone with pace and a neat kick.

Same time, and it will never happen because these players don't exist anymore, but we need a forward ala Pav, Brown or Saint Nick.

Definitely not the answer. Great steak knives but no Danyle Pearce. We need someone with pace and a neat kick.

Same time, and it will never happen because these players don't exist anymore, but we need a forward ala Pav, Brown or Saint Nick.

D. Pearce was also a pretty poor kick IMO. Really it’s no surprise we’ve struggled to capitalise on inside 50s in the last decade with the quality of ball that has gone in there from our wingers.

JL has specifically mentioned outside run as a target during the offseason so they know it’s a problem area

Hey Freo, not coming to gloat, just to say you are assembling a very good team, you have some very good younger players, and of course Fyfe who is a star. I expect you to make finals next year.

Outside my own team, I would love to see Freo win a flag, and shut up your cross town rivals to boot.

Good luck in 2021.

Hey Freo, not coming to gloat, just to say you are assembling a very good team, you have some very good younger players, and of course Fyfe who is a star. I expect you to make finals next year.

Outside my own team, I would love to see Freo win a flag, and shut up your cross town rivals to boot.

Good luck in 2021.

Cheers, lad.

D. Pearce was also a pretty poor kick IMO. Really it’s no surprise we’ve struggled to capitalise on inside 50s in the last decade with the quality of ball that has gone in there from our wingers.

JL has specifically mentioned outside run as a target during the offseason so they know it’s a problem area

True! But in his prime I'd take him over Acres and Langdon. What happened to a decent kick anyway? When I was at school they drilled us in kicking accurately.

True! But in his prime I'd take him over Acres and Langdon. What happened to a decent kick anyway? When I was at school they drilled us in kicking accurately.

And yet you didn't become an AFL player.

As much as I rag on Acres and others have ragged on Langdon it hasn't been easy kicking into our F50.......ever? 2011 maybe?

I think Acres is a bad pick up because he is soft and inconsistent. Our forward structure makes it bloody difficult for anyone kicking in there.

Brayshaw kicked a beautiful flat ball last night and the forward he was kicking it to fell over (Hogan?).

There is something seriously wrong with our F50.

And yet you didn't become an AFL player.

As much as I rag on Acres and others have ragged on Langdon it hasn't been easy kicking into our F50.......ever? 2011 maybe?

I think Acres is a bad pick up because he is soft and inconsistent. Our forward structure makes it bloody difficult for anyone kicking in there.

Brayshaw kicked a beautiful flat ball last night and the forward he was kicking it to fell over (Hogan?).

There is something seriously wrong with our F50.

Ouch...

He was part of a deal that landed us a high draft pick. This year is a write off. Let's see what he does with some time and preseason under his belt.

It's not working for sure but our forward line has only ever worked 3 times in 25 years. Clive, Modra and Pav. But then we've never had a pure forward coach. Lets see how next year goes.

It was good exposure for our team to experience finals like pressure and intensity.

The dogs were relentless with their tackling pressure in the midfield and it showed. Also smothering most underrated stat in the game something we don't do enough outside of fyfe for us. I reckon the dogs had 12 smothers last night

Game summary
Thanks Dale.

Seriously...the first article praises Crowden for his lock down role on JJ and Daniel but the player ratings give him a 5 because he "had his hands full trying to contain the dangerous Caleb Daniel". Was the article written by a schizophrenic or by two blokes, with only one of them watching the game?

It shouldn't get to me as it's a really s**t rag, and the game was a real fizzer, but wtf is going on!

I didn't see the whole game just the 3rd and 4th but it seemed like we held our own okay but were exposed by a bit of sloppy ball movement and Tim English's mobility. It seems obvious to me that Walters and Tabs were rested to see what a different forward setup could do in their absence. Our selections showed it wasn't a must win for us. My take out is we need to consider how to deal with Tim English in our pre-match for the Dogs next year.

I also think its going to be hard for Henry because he is very noticeable in every camera shot which means he is going to be singled out as a scapegoat by people.

I didn't see the whole game just the 3rd and 4th but it seemed like we held our own okay but were exposed by a bit of sloppy ball movement and Tim English's mobility. It seems obvious to me that Walters and Tabs were rested to see what a different forward setup could do in their absence. Our selections showed it wasn't a must win for us. My take out is we need to consider how to deal with Tim English in our pre-match for the Dogs next year.

I also think its going to be hard for Henry because he is very noticeable in every camera shot which means he is going to be singled out as a scapegoat by people.
They weren't rested, they were injured.

Scapegoat? What a load of crap. He's played a few games, so not a single person is expecting 15d and 2 goals, especially in a losing team.

He was dropped because of his lack of pressure, yesterday was the same, it doesn't matter if it's game 1 or game 200, pressure is a given, you have to do it. People keep making excuses for him like "first year player, needs experience" which is a complete load of rubbish. That makes sense if he can't run out a game, gets out muscled or gets lost in transitional set up, but it's no excuse for not applying pressure from the very first bounce.

Henry really needs to work on this over the pre season, otherwise he'll be playing for Peel more than people realize.

Scapegoat? What a load of crap. He's played a few games, so not a single person is expecting 15d and 2 goals, especially in a losing team.

He was dropped because of his lack of pressure, yesterday was the same, it doesn't matter if it's game 1 or game 200, pressure is a given, you have to do it. People keep making excuses for him like "first year player, needs experience" which is a complete load of rubbish. That makes sense if he can't run out a game, gets out muscled or gets lost in transitional set up, but it's no excuse for not applying pressure from the very first bounce.

Henry really needs to work on this over the pre season, otherwise he'll be playing for Peel more than people realize.

The point is if it was a must win game they likely would have played. In terms of Henry people on this board are focusing on him disproportionately and going into serious meltdowns about it. That is my point. I am sure he will be dropped back next year and others will get a chance.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Schultz was far worse pressure wise but isn't getting the equivalent criticism. Our small forwards started strong as we racked up plenty of tackles i50 early (Hogan, Henry, Crowden but not Schultz). The opportunities dried up and they struggled to impact, not surprisingly.

As bad as our forward line was yesterday it wasn't the reason we got beaten up in the end (and I'm one of our forward lines biggest critics). We let them get the ball to the outside too easily and then had no pressure applied on the outside making it close to impossible for our defenders to defend. Nothing worse to deflate a team than when it is way too easy for an opposition to move the ball and score.

Forwards need to lift a lot for 2021 but anyone thinking they were the source of our problems yesterday is using them as a scapegoat.

Schultz was far worse pressure wise but isn't getting the equivalent criticism. Our small forwards started strong as we racked up plenty of tackles i50 early (Hogan, Henry, Crowden but not Schultz). The opportunities dried up and they struggled to impact, not surprisingly.

As bad as our forward line was yesterday it wasn't the reason we got beaten up in the end (and I'm one of our forward lines biggest critics). We let them get the ball to the outside too easily and then had no pressure applied on the outside making it close to impossible for our defenders to defend. Nothing worse to deflate a team than when it is way too easy for an opposition to move the ball and score.

Forwards need to lift a lot for 2021 but anyone thinking they were the source of our problems yesterday is using them as a scapegoat.
Thanks, but I didn't actually blame our forwards for losing yesterday at all.

Schultz pressure all year has been great, Henry hasn't shown any pressure whatsoever, hence the disappointment. Every small forward applies pressure from day 1, even the figjam Rankine applies tremendous pressure, Henry is gonna learn over the pre season that he has to chase.

Thanks, but I didn't actually blame our forwards for losing yesterday at all.

Schultz pressure all year has been great, Henry hasn't shown any pressure whatsoever, hence the disappointment. Every small forward applies pressure from day 1, even the figjam Rankine applies tremendous pressure, Henry is gonna learn over the pre season that he has to chase.
Yep and people you were responding to aren't saying Henry doesn't deserve any criticism either ;) They were saying it is ott focusing on him given more than half the team were under par yesterday. Schultz nor any player should get a free pass for what they did last game. As you said pressure is a non-negotiable - if you aren't bringing it every game then you should get a bake from the coaches.

Shees, some hard to please people.
Attacking our forward line:Out two best forwards,Walters and Taberner out.We lose the structure we have built up this season.Hogan becomes number one focal point.He played his heart out .
Bagging kids with less than a handful of games... really!!!!!!!They really are project players that are far from ready to play at this level... body wise.Both are still learning the game and want to impress.They are out looking for the game, chasing it.They will learn to let the game come to them.Both will be more than handy players.A full preseason under their belt, and hopefully a preseason where they can do more one on one training.
We were, as Longmuir stated, out done by the way the Bulldogs spread the ball far and wide.

Yep and people you were responding to aren't saying Henry doesn't deserve any criticism either ;) They were saying it is ott focusing on him given more than half the team were under par yesterday. Schultz nor any player should get a free pass for what they did last game. As you said pressure is a non-negotiable - if you aren't bringing it every game then you should get a bake from the coaches.
Yep, the pressure was unacceptable. But I'll say it again, Henry "aka scapegoat" (clearly a protected player on here) after being dropped for poor pressure, has come back into the team and delivered the same poor result. He has played 3 games and shown no pressure in all 3 of them.

No scapegoat, simply stating that it's a known issue which he hasn't progressed with.

Shees, some hard to please people.
Attacking our forward line:Out two best forwards,Walters and Taberner out.We lose the structure we have built up this season.Hogan becomes number one focal point.He played his heart out .
Bagging kids with less than a handful of games... really!!!!!!!They really are project players that are far from ready to play at this level... body wise.Both are still learning the game and want to impress.They are out looking for the game, chasing it.They will learn to let the game come to them.Both will be more than handy players.A full preseason under their belt, and hopefully a preseason where they can do more one on one training.
We were, as Longmuir stated, out done by the way the Bulldogs spread the ball far and wide.
Ah yes, typical reply. If only you bothered reading, you'd see I'm not blaming our forwards.

Bagging the kids, omg! How dare I expect pressure, which literally requires no skill whatsoever, it just requires commitment to chase your opponent. But hey, bagging kids right?

Yep, the pressure was unacceptable. But I'll say it again, Henry "aka scapegoat" (clearly a protected player on here) after being dropped for poor pressure, has come back into the team and delivered the same poor result. He has played 3 games and shown no pressure in all 3 of them.

No scapegoat, simply stating that it's a known issue which he hasn't progressed with.
I thought his pressure was better this game, laid a tackle on someone twice his size after making sure he didnt mark it - should have been holding the ball but wasnt paid and I think it resulted on a shot on goal from Darcy

Laid another tackle that as actually given holding the ball.

He's definitely no Switta / Schultz at the moment but I thought he was better on the weekend. I think he just looks like he's thinking too much about whether to go in or hold back

Here's some raw stats to consider...

Pressure acts:
Schultz 4, Colyer 8, Henry 11, Crowden 13, Frederick 16

Tackles i50:
Schultz 0, Colyer 0, Henry 2, Crowden 2, Frederick 0

Could be just a coincidence all our small forwards struggled to rack up good defensive pressure numbers? ;)

No one is protected on this board.

Thanks Dale.

Seriously...the first article praises Crowden for his lock down role on JJ and Daniel but the player ratings give him a 5 because he "had his hands full trying to contain the dangerous Caleb Daniel". Was the article written by a schizophrenic or by two blokes, with only one of them watching the game?

It shouldn't get to me as it's a really sh*t rag, and the game was a real fizzer, but wtf is going on!

Yes, two different writers. Craig O'Donoghue was doing the praising (correctly in my view due to Crowden's lock down game) and someone called Chris Robinson did the ratings.

Should be embarrassing for the sub-editor, by it was only a Freo game, so they probably thought no one would notice.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back