List Mgmt. 2020 Draft (December 9) discussion thread

Our currently owned picks:

24 - Blake Coleman
43 - Harry Sharp
48 - Henry Smith

Our currently owned 2021 picks:

1st (MEL), 1st (BRI), 3rd (WCE), 3rd (BRI), 4th (MEL), 4th (COL), 5th (BRI)

Last edited:

MacMum

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 6, 2007
Ballarat
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I see there is a list of draftees in the HUN. Noticed one young draft hopeful is a defender and models his game on our Harris Andrews. His name is Zach Reid from Gippsland Power. Apparently his grandfather played for Footscray.

Hope the young fella gets picked up.....will keep an eye out to see where he goes.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
I see there is a list of draftees in the HUN. Noticed one young draft hopeful is a defender and models his game on our Harris Andrews. His name is Zach Reid from Gippsland Power. Apparently his grandfather played for Footscray.

Hope the young fella gets picked up.....will keep an eye out to see where he goes.
First round prospect, considered the second or third best tall defender in this draft.

Johnny Bananas

Premiership Player Hater
Sep 10, 2010
Next door
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
This post from the draft forum was informative.

This draft is a tale of ACL's and KPF's

If you're a club looking for an athletic tall forward who can kick 50 goals a year, this is the draft for you.

The Bulldogs get a freebie in JUH, the other obvious choice is Logan McDonald who has put behind his ordinary 2019 season to blow everyone away with his 2020 form in the wafl as one of the leading goal kickers for 2020, one player who could be better than all of them is Kaine Baldwin, i've seen 3 highlight reels of mainly his form as a 16 year old seeing as he has mostly been injured in recent years, but his speed and athletic qualities for a big man were better or at least on par with the other KPF's in the draft, his skills and smarts are also a feature and as ive said before reminds me of a young Jack Riewoldt, but obviously the 2x ACL injuries have people spooked about whether those injuries will hold him back or not or potentially affect his speed?, the other forward who could become a 50 goal tall forward is Jackson Callow, he is more the tall crumbing forward who also has a very strong marking grip, ive seen him in a dozen games and he kicks as many goals from general play as on the mark and i think he is under-rated atm as i have him firmly in the first round contention for a club looking for a flexible KPF option, who could also double as a tall defender?.

A number of people have discussed the idea of drafting a KPF to replace Skinner, who is apparently not in favour. Given we're unlikely to be in a position to draft the elite prospects anytime soon, we might want to have a look at Baldwin and Callow, who have the talent to become top forwards and will probably be available at the end of the first round.

1600640374019.png

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
This post from the draft forum was informative.

A number of people have discussed the idea of drafting a KPF to replace Skinner, who is apparently not in favour. Given we're unlikely to be in a position to draft the elite prospects anytime soon, we might want to have a look at Baldwin and Callow, who have the talent to become top forwards and will probably be available at the end of the first round.
My uneducated take.

Baldwin: Undersized KPF at 193cm and 2 acl’s.

Callow: Undersized KPF at 193cm, poor vertical jump, exceptional mark at U18 level and TSL.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
The more I look at this years first round, the more I want to trade out.

Depending on how many band 1 compensation picks are handed out, the finalists picks could theoretically move back by up to 3 or 4 spots.

Players who might leave their current club and earn band 1 compensation;
Brad Crouch
Zac Williams
Jeremy Cameron
Joe Daniher

Players who might leave their current club and earn band 2 or 3 compensation, pushing back second and third round picks;
Rory Atkins
Aiden Corr

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

Depending on how many band 1 compensation picks are handed out, the finalists picks could theoretically move back by up to 3 or 4 spots.

Players who might leave their current club and earn band 1 compensation;
Brad Crouch
Zac Williams
Jeremy Cameron
Joe Daniher

Players who might leave their current club and earn band 2 or 3 compensation, pushing back second and third round picks.
Rory Atkins
Aiden Corr

Who's to say there won't be a similar number next year?

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Who's to say there won't be a similar number next year?
Part of the reason why I don’t like this year, is there are a number of high end nga kids, who don’t deserve to be in an nga academy and tied to a particular club.

I believe we’ll see some changes to future draft rules announced before this years trade period.

Most notably, no nga bids in the first round or first two rounds. So all early nga prospects are available to everyone.

Good year to bring such a rule in, as early discussions of next year’s draft crop, there doesn’t look to be any high end NGA prospects.

There’s been a lot of talk that next years crop is significantly stronger and deeper than this years crop. And this was before this year went hell.

Add in the potential for some late developers from this year to not be drafted, but performing well next year and adding to the depth of the draft.

Johnny Bananas

Premiership Player Hater
Sep 10, 2010
Next door
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Can't see us getting much for it if we do. Even last year, we saw that teams didn't value this draft a lot. Fremantle willingly took on a points deficit, Gold Coast traded pick 11 (now 10) for a 2019 second round pick and Melbourne traded a top 10 pick for a 2019 one round upgrade. Covid has probably made this draft less valuable still.

Given next year looks like a pretty decent crop at this stage and is far less compromised, I can't see anyone being willing to give up a future first for a pick this year. We're probably stuck unless we manage to trade in a veteran for good value.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Can't see us getting much for it if we do. Even last year, we saw that teams didn't value this draft a lot. Fremantle willingly took on a points deficit, Gold Coast traded pick 11 (now 10) for a 2019 second round pick and Melbourne traded a top 10 pick for a 2019 one round upgrade. Covid has probably made this draft less valuable still.

Given next year looks like a pretty decent crop at this stage and is far less compromised, I can't see anyone being willing to give up a future first for a pick this year. We're probably stuck unless we manage to trade in a veteran for good value.
Possibly Collingwood.

It’s been reported that they’re interested in another first round pick this year, and they have father son Nick Daicos, who’s a potential top 10 draftee.

Would a current first and future second round pick get a deal done for their future and current second round pick (tied to Richmond).

And they have a potential mid to late NGA kid as well for next year.

Johnny Bananas

Premiership Player Hater
Sep 10, 2010
Next door
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Possibly Collingwood.

It’s been reported that they’re interested in another first round pick this year, and they have father son Nick Daicos, who’s a potential top 10 draftee.

Would a current first and future second round pick get a deal done for their future and current second round pick (tied to Richmond).

And they have a potential mid to late NGA kid as well for next year.
Their future first or second?

They have McInnes to match this year too, they'd want to be absolutely sure they're getting in before a bid, and I'm not sure either of our picks would do that.

Mar 13, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Bruins, Dodgers, Bulls, SEM Phoenix
<snip>
between the NGA's (a number of top kids spoken for and other clubs needing points) and unexposed form, if we bale in this draft completely at the top end do we trade the picks for players or go all in for early picks next year? The added bonus with trading for 2021 picks is it will give next yeah for Smith, Robertson, Coleman, etc to hopefully get a few games without having to compete against this years picks.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Their future first or second?

They have McInnes to match this year too, they'd want to be absolutely sure they're getting in before a bid, and I'm not sure either of our picks would do that.
Sorry meant:
Lions out 2020 1st round pick, 2021 second round pick.

Collingwood out 2020 second round pick, 2021 first round pick.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
between the NGA's (a number of top kids spoken for and other clubs needing points) and unexposed form, if we bale in this draft completely at the top end do we trade the picks for players or go all in for early picks next year? The added bonus with trading for 2021 picks is it will give next yeah for Smith, Robertson, Coleman, etc to hopefully get a few games without having to compete against this years picks.
That’s part of my thinking.

I’d be happy with selecting Coleman jr and a ruck mid to late second round.

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
Some encouraging reports on a couple of our draft eligible 2020 academy guys in the QAFL semi final on the weekend.

https://afl.draftcentral.com.au/202...ingside-and-broadbeach-book-spots-in-decider/

#23 Blake Coleman

Coleman has had a fantastic draft year and put in another impressive performance against Palm Beach. The Brisbane Lions Academy prospect started the game on fire, kicking the first goal of the match just two minutes in. This came from a set shot after he earnt a free kick for a hold in a one-on-one contest deep inside forward 50. Coleman is such a dangerous threat in one-on-one situations because of his amazing combination of strength, speed and agility, so his defenders often panic in these situations and give away cheap free kicks. Coleman showed how skilled he is when he produced a brilliant handball in the first term on the up, out of congestion, to a teammate in the corridor. This started some great running play by his teammates and resulted in a goal. Coleman has great versatility too, because he can fly aerially with his fantastic leap or stay down and use his pace to crumb the contest. Despite predominantly being a forward, he usually also gets some midfield minutes because he is a clever stoppage player. However, he was not given many opportunities in the middle on Saturday.

#27 Saxon Crozier

This was one of the best games I have seen Crozier play, which speaks volumes given that it was a semi-final. He played his usual wing role and ran very hard to impact the contest offensively and defensively. Crozier pushed forward on multiple occasions to take uncontested marks inside 50 and earn shots at goal. Although he missed one shot in the first term, he made up for it with a lovely set shot in the third. Crozier’s great fitness level and willingness to push to the next contest made him very difficult for the opposition to stop, as he got a lot of handball receives and frequently found himself with plenty of space on the wings. He has clearly mastered the art of controlling possession as well, as he chipped the ball around a lot in the defensive half with teammates. This helped his side regain composure when Palm Beach started to get back into the game, and it was handy in the last quarter because it took some time off the clock. Crozier’s performance was fantastic and he will undoubtedly be one to watch in next week’s Grand Final.

Grand Final is this Saturday at Yeronga, I'm going to take a stroll down and see if they allow spectators.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Some encouraging reports on a couple of our draft eligible 2020 academy guys in the QAFL semi final on the weekend.

https://afl.draftcentral.com.au/202...ingside-and-broadbeach-book-spots-in-decider/

#23 Blake Coleman

Coleman has had a fantastic draft year and put in another impressive performance against Palm Beach. The Brisbane Lions Academy prospect started the game on fire, kicking the first goal of the match just two minutes in. This came from a set shot after he earnt a free kick for a hold in a one-on-one contest deep inside forward 50. Coleman is such a dangerous threat in one-on-one situations because of his amazing combination of strength, speed and agility, so his defenders often panic in these situations and give away cheap free kicks. Coleman showed how skilled he is when he produced a brilliant handball in the first term on the up, out of congestion, to a teammate in the corridor. This started some great running play by his teammates and resulted in a goal. Coleman has great versatility too, because he can fly aerially with his fantastic leap or stay down and use his pace to crumb the contest. Despite predominantly being a forward, he usually also gets some midfield minutes because he is a clever stoppage player. However, he was not given many opportunities in the middle on Saturday.

#27 Saxon Crozier

This was one of the best games I have seen Crozier play, which speaks volumes given that it was a semi-final. He played his usual wing role and ran very hard to impact the contest offensively and defensively. Crozier pushed forward on multiple occasions to take uncontested marks inside 50 and earn shots at goal. Although he missed one shot in the first term, he made up for it with a lovely set shot in the third. Crozier’s great fitness level and willingness to push to the next contest made him very difficult for the opposition to stop, as he got a lot of handball receives and frequently found himself with plenty of space on the wings. He has clearly mastered the art of controlling possession as well, as he chipped the ball around a lot in the defensive half with teammates. This helped his side regain composure when Palm Beach started to get back into the game, and it was handy in the last quarter because it took some time off the clock. Crozier’s performance was fantastic and he will undoubtedly be one to watch in next week’s Grand Final.

Grand Final is this Saturday at Yeronga, I'm going to take a stroll down and see if they allow spectators.
Depending what happens with list sizes and picks traded, my guess is Coleman is the most likely to be drafted, bid matched.

The other kids may end up on another teams list, or return as 19 year olds.

Quigley

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 23, 2006
Bangalla
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Depending what happens with list sizes and picks traded, my guess is Coleman is the most likely to be drafted, bid matched.

The other kids may end up on another teams list, or return as 19 year olds.

Whilst I tend to agree I wouldn't mind ending up with Michael and Abberley on our list. Those two and Coleman I think have pretty high ceilings and we should be able to get them pretty cheap.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Whilst I tend to agree I wouldn't mind ending up with Michael and Abberley on our list. Those two and Coleman I think have pretty high ceilings and we should be able to get them pretty cheap.
Unless we trade out both our high picks, I can’t see us prioritising academy kids, unless they are top end talent.

Even if they return as 19 year olds, unless they significantly improve, we should still be able to get them cheap in next years draft.

Would AFL scouts who are already in Qld have been able to get into those matches? Given Kiddy's performances these last few weeks, his brother is probably on a few AFL team's radar.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Would AFL scouts who are already in Qld have been able to get into those matches? Given Kiddy's performances these last few weeks, his brother is probably on a few AFL team's radar.
Apparently there’s been multiple team scouts at most games up here.

Those who came up in the last lot of AFL flights would have been there as well, as they finished their quarantine as well.

Many of this year’s small forwards are academy or nga tied.

Lazza16

The Lions Women...roaring into 2023
Jul 7, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Where do Geelong get off having picks 11 15 n 16 in the draft.....they have some clever back room guys/gals

That's what happens when you lose a guy of Kelly's class.
And find the GC worried about losing their mid-round 1 pick if they improve. Having said that, anyone else before them could've done that trade too.

Back