Review Round 18, 2020 - Brisbane Lions vs. Carlton

Who were your five best players against Carlton?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I think McStay is a better forward. He was beaten too readily and was too unaccountable when he played down back.

Skinner suffered from our overabundance of good tall defenders and our lack of forward options and so he went forward. I definitely think he is a better defender than forward. I agree though that he is likely gone at the end of the year. Unfortunate for him given everything he has gone through.

I do understand why McStay is in the side at the moment but the lack of effort on the weekend really really annoyed me. He just didn't try a few times when I watched him and that should not be acceptable and should be a green light to our recruitment staff to go hard after the likes of Brown in the offseason.

Certainly not saying he is irreplaceable long term. We just don’t have any better options as it stands. I do think he plays his role most of the time. I’m genuinely still hopeful of him having some improvement left. If we go out and get one of the better Key Forwards that seem to be available, then the situation starts to change.

I think we've all worked out where we stand on it.

The good thing about footy is every week you get a chance to prove the doubters wrong.

Who can we start on now ?

What about something positive.

Starcevich showed poise on Saturday beyond his experience in the game . I've got hopes now that he won't be in the back pocket for more than a year or two.

I still think his impact is totally overrated.

Plowman kept running off him on Saturday and he wouldn't chase.

So I don't think anyone is far inferior.

But he's had enough time to be making an impact.

It is what it is . If Fullarton had stayed sound I reckon we'd be thinking about it.

The next 2 games are the most important in his career and I really hope he steps it up.
Yep plowman destroyed us with his massive 9 possession game 🥴

For the doubters Saturday’s game was all part of Dans plan. One great game, one poor game, ...........
Bring on the first final!!!
Unfortunately, or fortunately he has had two shockers now which means by your reasoning Dan McStay BOG Norm Smith coming his way. I'd like to seethat

I'm quite neutral with the McStay situation. Feel as no one can do better than what he is offering unless we completely changed our structure and went small, which wont happen. My biggest gripe on Dan is his damn average effort in hunting the ball at ground level, consistently lets others run past him. Fix that and I'd be satisfied.

You might want to go and talk to Hodge about how instrumental Birchall has been in taking us through the corridor. I know Hodge is a good mate, but he is also one of the sharpest football minds around.
What a load of crap. Birchall constantly gets a little sideways15 mtr chip kick to him then kicks it to next option which we shouldve taken in first place he has no run out of backline, is overweight and too slow, couldn't care less what hodge says about his best mate. IMO we are better balanced side without him. Of all the backman to miss a game he'd be the one least missed.

What a load of crap. Birchall constantly gets a little sideways15 mtr chip kick to him then kicks it to next option which we shouldve taken in first place he has no run out of backline, is overweight and too slow, couldn't care less what hodge says about his best mate. IMO we are better balanced side without him. Of all the backman to miss a game he'd be the one least missed.
Not so sure about that ,you never know what's being said and going on out on the ground.

Funny thing about Birchall ,he's got this physique and posture that makes him always look unfit.

I've still got confidence in him , been there ,done it, he's still competitive.

But this is a critical finals series for him because we do have guys on the way up.

Not so sure about that ,you never know what's being said and going on out on the ground.

Funny thing about Birchall ,he's got this physique and posture that makes him always look unfit.

But this is a critical finals series for him because we do have guys on the way up.
Agree, probably a tad harsh from me but was asked who I'd take out of the side for likes of Answerth. Response I got was speak to hodge with no opinion of who they'd take out. So little annoyed. But he's played most of the year and we've had a great season. Good position to be in selection wise. Go Lions

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anyone seen an MRO report from our game against Carlton - once again this seems odd given that there appeared to be a couple of incidents that would normally attract some attention.

I'm quite neutral with the McStay situation. Feel as no one can do better than what he is offering unless we completely changed our structure and went small, which wont happen. My biggest gripe on Dan is his damn average effort in hunting the ball at ground level, consistently lets others run past him. Fix that and I'd be satisfied.

This where I sit on the situation too.

It feels like his main role in the side is to compete at the contest when we go long out of defence to the wing and either mark or bring the ball to ground (usually the latter). Similar role in the forward 50 too. Probably our best option to fit this role at the moment.

Anyone seen an MRO report from our game against Carlton - once again this seems odd given that there appeared to be a couple of incidents that would normally attract some attention.
No charges. They do daily charge sheets at present. This was Saturday's.

Agree, probably a tad harsh from me but was asked who I'd take out of the side for likes of Answerth. Response I got was speak to hodge with no opinion of who they'd take out. So little annoyed. But he's played most of the year and we've had a great season. Good position to be in selection wise. Go Lions
Fair enough, I don’t think anyone should come in for Birchall. Champion Data have him rated number one for inside 50’s via the corridor.

Yes there is, and that is why I hope he does not play again in 2021

Cherry picking a bad game. Previous week McStay was arguably BOG and played at a level way above anything Skinner can produce at this point.
[/QUOTE

Not cherry picking a bad game at all. At that time it was McStays most recent game and Skinners worst game. Maybe I should compare Skinners worst game to McStays performance last night?

Back