Review Round 18, 2020 vs Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

He directly cost us two of their 4 first half goals. Had some good ball usage tonight but under pressure he folds.

I trust Burton infinitely more to make a good decision or win a one on one contest.
I'll give you the howler third goal. Not sure what the other one was. His ball usage was very good. I stand by what I said that I don't think Burton has played a better game. Bonner won't be dropped for a Burton coming back from injury for the first final.

Usually winning the minor premiership tips the balance for a few players in terms of AA selections. Let’s see if that applies for either or both of Jonas or DBJ.

Because defenders have less objective stats than other positions it comes down to media hype more often.

Those guys have been every bit as good as your Maynards, Moores, Weiterings etc.

I still can't believe a 191cm defender held a 211cm forward goalless

(Only 22kg between them too)
Big effort tonight. Now to shut Hawkins down.

That was a great win. This game had me nervous all day. Massive pressure on us not to give up the minor premiership in the last game of the year, playing away yet again this time to a Collingwood side that was desperate to avoid a trip to Perth and to honour Pendlebury who had some sort of milestone that channel 7 glossed over.

They play smothering finals pressure football and probably had their best midfield for many weeks sans Sidebottom. They haven't had more than 48 points scored on them in the past few weeks.

And they came at us again and again. The umps gave us nothing. In the past few years that would have been a recipe for Port to fold. But we met every challenge and hit back harder every time they came knocking.

Not often I agree with Bruce these days but he said this might have been our best win of the year and he is close to the mark.

A terrific win with a few unheralded players doing important things and the team leaders showing the way.

As Ken said, enjoy the next couple of days then prepare for the big dance.

Oh and Garry Lyon - what parent wouldn't want their kid to come to Port?

Even after a big win I come away unsatisfied, but I've finally worked out its not my team that are the problem, it's AFL football that's the problem. Borderline unwatchable, rubbish.

On SM-G965F using BigFooty.com mobile app
If you can't enjoy that win id suggets maybe it is you that is the problem.

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Going through this thread Bonner started off with one bad one now it's up to 6. Surely we can go through the tape and make it an even 10.
Yeah, I'm sorry, you're right, I just imagined him handballing team mates into trouble, missing straightforward kicks and pulling off remarkable double fisted goal assists for the oppo.

One of my favourite moments was when we were finally paid a free kick in the last quarter the Port supporters in the crowd took a moment to get over the shock before starting their bronx cheer.

Minor premiership achieved, playing 7 AO games and 10 in Queensland. That is a pretty remarkable achievement in itself. Let’s keep it going Port, you could do something incredible!

On a side note, wha a great experience for Bergman and Mead. They may not be playing, but being exposed to such experience could bode well for the future.

We absolutely smashed them at centre bounce clearances, despite Grundy dominating hitouts. It was an unusual game for us, we spent an inordinate amount of time in their forward half, but our defence and pressure around the ball held up magnificently.

We ended up with less tackles, and without checking, that is usually a red flag for us. We also lost contested possession, and in the past we would have capitulated. But our pressure was intense, causing Collingwood to handball excessively and protecting our defenders.

Houston took over Jonas' intercept role, and other than running underneath one late, looked safe and we will call it a luxury if he can slide back into midfield. TJ handled DeGoey perfectly, didn't give him any space, and I liked Lienert - he won at least 3 crucial contests that saved scores. Bonner bounced back again from an early blooper, and his precise kicking got that goal back when SPP goaled from a D50 rebound that he instigated. McKenzie did all that could be asked of him against the maypole, and it would be remiss to not acknowledge DBJ, who is so ferocious at the ball, so safe with his hands and makes brilliant decisions.

Forward line was ok, it was difficult with the defensive mindset of Collingwood plus some bloody good players back there in Moore and Maynard, but they were always a bit thin on class, and this allowed thee likes of Motlop and Ebert off the chain. Ladhams had such an almost night, but dropped at least 3 marks when he was in the box seat. Charlie seemed to work a lot upfield tonight, probably trying to keep Roughead away from the goalsquare. Toddy needs to grab his chances, because Westhoff deserves to be given the opportunity if we progress.

Rockliff is a man inspired, you can sense his desperation to cap his career. The same can be said for Boak and Gray, and what a luxury it is in games like tonight, where it is tough and hard, to use Robbie around the ball - his creativity and composure in traffic is a major point of difference. Ollie doing the grunt work, and SPP providing the aggression gives us a balanced midfield group that can be shuffled around to suit the opponents and the situation perfectly. And the coaching is vastly improved in this respect; Hinkley/Montgomery/Voss have pulled the right reins all season.

So we play Geelong. I said when we capitulated to them in Round 12 that I gave us a mulligan; that was our one entire game where our intensity, structures, attitude and consistency wavered during 2020. I didn't recognise us that night, and whilst I'm sure that we did not deliberately hold back on our tactics and form, by the same token Geelong have not experienced anything like our best. Tickets will be cheap, and the loudest crowd of 2020 will be in full voice. And I expect it to be a close, tight, contested game. And I expect us to go into a Prelim at Adelaide Oval two weeks later. And it would be fitting, fair and right for Port Adelaide to celebrate our milestone year, and to hold the cup up at the Gabba, in the first night Grand Final since cigarette adverting was banned.

Yeah, I'm sorry, you're right, I just imagined him handballing team mates into trouble, missing straightforward kicks and pulling off remarkable double fisted goal assists for the oppo.
You're letting your disdain for him cloud your judgement. It was an intense pressure game. He wasn't the only one handballing teammates into trouble. Not sure what you're on about him missing straightforward kicks and yes that double fister was horrible.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back