Review Round 18, 2020 vs Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

lol
Wasnt just Stephenson confessing he touched the ball ... SPP was remonstrating with the umpire that he had touched it.

Nothing to see here ...

hhh.JPG

Wasnt just Stephenson confessing he touched the ball ... SPP was remonstrating with the umpire that he had touched it.

Nothing to see here ...

View attachment 967862

holy s**t the look on elliots face, now THAT is guilt. ahahahaha

That was a professional, clinical performance. Smashed in hard from the opening bounce and didn't let up against an opponent that had plenty to play for.

The game itself was quite a lot different to most of our games. Collingwood defended pretty well and worked the ball out of their back half slowly and methodically. We seemed to have little problem defending this sort of footy - in the end, they were lucky to score as much as they did. Jonas, DBJ, Lienert and Houston all terrific down back.

Our midfield was once again fantastic. Rockliff superb, Wines and Boak very good and Robbie Gray back in the thick of it doing Robbie Gray things.

Our forward line was held together by the experience of Motlop and Ebert. We're going to need a lot more out of Dixon, Marshall and Ladhams against Geelong if we are to win that game.
Thought McKenzie very good

Was at work last night so only got to watch the replay properly this morning.

To me this win whilst not pretty had a lot of positives.
1. Didn’t rely on Dixon to kick our goals.
2. Started fast instead of giving away a head start.
3. Whenever we were headed we scored pretty much straight away rather than allowing the opposition to get comfortable in front.
4. Everyone contributed at some stage including our regular whipping boys Motlop and Bonner.

Had a lot of good players last night. Most people have mentioned the obvious ones.
Was happy to see Lienert play probably his best game for the club.
SPP might not have been in our best but his pressure was a big part of the reason our midfield did well.
Duursma is finding form at the right time. Never stops running.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

3. Whenever we were headed we scored pretty much straight away rather than allowing the opposition to get comfortable in front.
4. Everyone contributed at some stage including our regular whipping boys Motlop and Bonner.

Had a lot of good players last night. Most people have mentioned the obvious ones.
SPP might not have been in our best but his pressure was a big part of the reason our midfield did well.

Yeah watching the replay objectively you see more of the little things being done by all players. You also notice how one-sided and ignorant the Victorian commentary is (for example, asking the question whether Boak will become a Premiership captain??). I didn't mind Bonner's game again - he made some key errors but neither he nor the team let those get them down. That's a change from previous years. Lienert competed all night and won his fair share. It's hard to judge Marshall's game without knowing his role - if he was on Moore then he did a good job, if not, then perhaps less so.

I reckon too Collingwood played pretty well for most of the night - we had to dig deep to get over them and we did. Good finals preparation and the sense of team in this group is just palpable - there are no outliers at all. Even the guys not selected are all-in.

There'll potentially be a couple of unlucky guys dropped at selection. On the one hand that's a great problem to have but on a personal level it'll be tough.

pretty sure that if a player kicking at goal confesses it was touched, and the player touching it says he touched it.. it was touched

How they let this slide is deplorable

I lost my s**t watching it live as i swear i saw Stephenson say it was touched and slap his hand so i rewound it then was absolutely gobsmacked when nothing was even said about it by the vicbias commentary team

This was so odd when BT said were not supposed to hear this usually they just cut it off and pan to the 3 commentators but they literally waited for the whole address to finish then pan. Commentators attempted to talk over it but could still hear ken saying stuff about 30 weeks and pointing out jonas and motlop.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I thought Duursma was a bit of a worry actually. Looked like he was running in cement from late in the 3rd qtr.

holy sh*t the look on elliots face, now THAT is guilt. ahahahaha
Teah, no one was celebrating. A few half-hearted pats, which Stephenson shrugged off, but they all knew it wasnt a goal.

Even if the umpire didnt see it himself, they had to call for a review! Just incomprehensible really, and if this happens in the finals, I am going to lose it completely!

Champion Data tables.

We won most team stats. Our best 4 players had a lot more green than their top 4 players, and all our top 8 players had average games or had 30% higher than normal in some stats or high stats in some categories ie in green and no red ie 30% less normal or individual low stats, ie whereas Collingwood's top 8 have red stats.

We had a few more in red at the bottom 4 or so players than Collingwood, but look who is 2nd last on Collingwood's list - De Goey. He was 30% or more down than normal in several categories. Tom Jonas sacrificed his game to totally blanket De Goey.

I watched the replay tonight and the last quarter was a grind and we had excellent pressure all over the ground and the pressure stats showed we had decisively more pressure acts than Collingwood.

Marshall kicked Port's only goal of Q4 with 10 minutes to go and after that, only 1 pt was scored in the rest of the game, Cox's mark and missed goal on a tight angle. The last quarter we were controlling the game despite Collingwood having 11 inside 50's to our 7.

Port's Xscore was 56, Actual was 61 - Thanks Rocky and Mots. Collingwood's Xcore 40 was, Actual was 45.

Mark's I50 Port 7 for 5.1 and Marshall called to play on and stuffed up his short chip. Collingwood 4, for 2.1 and Hoskin-Elliot for some reason handballed to Mihocek 20m out from goal and he snapped a goal on his left.

We got 1 free I50, X's free late in the 2nd quarter, he was about 40 m out on a 60 degree angle on left hand flank and push it wide to the right, it didn't make the distance and there was a marking contest next to the right hand point post, right on the boundary line. Collingwood had 0 I50 frees.

Umpires missed a lot of frees for both sides I50 and around the ground. 24 frees in total is low.

Grundy won the Hit Outs but we won the clearances.
Grundy 36 hitouts, with 10 to advantage, Cox had 6 with 3 to advantage
Lycett 22 hitouts, with 6 to advantage and Ladhams 4 + Dixon 1 and 2 of those 5 were to advantage.

We won clearances 40 v 28 - Centre clearances were 14 v 4 and Stoppage clearances were 26 v 24.

1600865878046.png

1600865908870.png

Nothing to see here ...

View attachment 967862

Compare this with Woodcock's first goal which was stolen from him.

Collingwood player very graciously immediately admits it's touched, our players call touched, nothing. It's like the MRP. It's all well and good to have a more fair system but it still relies on the umpires to use it correctly.

Collingwood player very graciously immediately admits it's touched, our players call touched, nothing. It's like the MRP. It's all well and good to have a more fair system but it still relies on the umpires to use it correctly.

And the AFL even claim all goals are reviewed before the centre bounce even if the field umps don’t call for it. Load of crap. Almost cost us a goal the week before (Motlop) only reviewing a goal touched on the line from one camera angle when the other post camera showed it clearly well over. Now that I mention it, it is astonishing that goal line cameras have such a discrepancy in what they show - one camera shows 1mm in it and the other 30cm... something is clearly not right.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

It was a bizarrely lightly umpired/reviewed game, Ebert's first goal and this one would typically be reviewed all season but it was like the Arc had taken the night off. 15-9 free kicks in a pretty physical encounter feels low too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back