Bruce McAvaney

Should Channel 7 Sack Bruce from the Commentary Team

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Not as good as he once was but still has a few years left him. It's a shame that Dwayne Russell isn't with 7, it would be an absolute rip snorter of a combo having those 2 in the box.

I don't listen to them much these days, but I did happen to have the TV on for awhile in the Saints' most recent game. At one time a Saints player was having a shot which was clearly wide, and fading away, missing by at least 3-4 metres, and Bruce was screaming, "Is is coming baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack", even after it had gone through. It never looked like a goal, but Bruce was treating it like a photo finish in the Melbourne Cup. I guess they're paid to make the game sound interesting, but fake enthusiasm doesn't work for me.

Bruce was great when he did the SANFL many years ago, it's hard to reconcile it's the same guy calling the AFL.
Everything's 'coming back', 'clever', 'arches the back' or a 'lovely long leg'. Player does anything weird or random - 'clever'.

Vote changed to sack him.

No doubt it would be harder calling it in isolation but he has been shocking this season. I'd love to take over 7's coverage and would sack Bruce, BT, Darcy (at least stop him calling play by play) and especially Cameron Ling straight away. Hamish keeps a gig on the boundary and still gets to be creepy with Auskickers so I stay in the AFL good books.

Ball clearly missing, straight off the boot, no chance of going through....”Has heee ? willll ittttt ? “ So ******* annoying. Nowhere near what he was 15-20 years ago. Dragged commetti down with him which was quite an achievement. I wonder what caused his downfall. People do change after health scares, and he has had a huge one. I can’t think of any other reason from going from one of the best to almost childish/idiotic.

Ball clearly missing, straight off the boot, no chance of going through....”Has heee ? willll ittttt ? “ So ******* annoying. Nowhere near what he was 15-20 years ago. Dragged commetti down with him which was quite an achievement. I wonder what caused his downfall. People do change after health scares, and he has had a huge one. I can’t think of any other reason from going from one of the best to almost childish/idiotic.

I wonder when he moved to Adelaide a few years back if he lost touch a bit with the football world and perhaps it effected his work ethic living a more relaxed lifestyle here.

I'd say apart from when he got on the plane to fly to Melbourne on weekends his head wasn't focused on football. His player I.D. hasn't been effected but just the feel for the game.

JB is my favourite now a days, Bruce is still second.

Listen to this full piece of commentary from Bruce in 2001 (where people still say he was in his prime), this was the last year 7 had the rights before losing them to channel 9 and channel 10 in 2002-2006.

Honestly to the untrained ear, the way he calls the action then isn't widely different to how he would call it now IMO.

I've always been a big fan but yes he's really past his prime. I think he should hang up the mic at the end of this year so as not to tarnish his legacy too much.

He uses the same phrases and rhetorical questions too much and tries to predict things or add to much to the narrative rather than just calling what is going on.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

LOL Did Bruce say "Puts on the skid marks!"? Sorry but I'm a foreigner from a country that speaks English as a first language, but is that some sort of Aussie Speak? :p :D
Yes, all of us Aussie put on our skid marks before we leave the house, :D so, the next time you get down here, you'd better suit up :p

Last edited:
Listen to this full piece of commentary from Bruce in 2001 (where people still say he was in his prime), this was the last year 7 had the rights before losing them to channel 9 and channel 10 in 2002-2006.

Honestly to the untrained ear, the way he calls the action then isn't widely different to how he would call it now IMO.

Yeah its not that different. But the vibe was clearly off when him, Ox and Dennis returned in 2007. I could feel Dennis' cringe and embarrassment being paired with those two. Then Dennis sorta gave up after a few years. All the question tags (isnt it?) and 'sqqueeeezes it out'. He came back in 2007 camp, less authorative, slightly kooky, sorta self-aware of his catchphrases.

Still a legend.