Ruscoe vs Thomas WHE and varcoe

Wagee

Debutant
Apr 26, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
I would love to know if ruscoe averages more goals then 3 combined you can throw c brown in there to I'm staggered how bucks has them 4 in front of him, it doesn't take a genius to realise the forward line lacks fire power, and is the reason the backs in the mids are so reluctant to go quick inside 50

Aug 24, 2018
AFL Club
Collingwood
I must admit I’m more entirely sure what this is, but, all Thomas, WHE and Varcoe are playing as there isn’t very many options.

All 3 of those players, including Brown should be depth players imo. All 4 are ineffective in more games than not.

I’d run with Ruscoe over them

Johno9911

Club Legend
Jun 20, 2017
AFL Club
Collingwood
Ruscoe avg: 1.3 goals per game

WHE ave: .6 goals per game
C. Brown ave: .4 goals per game
JT ave: .3 goals per game

Varcoe spent a bit of time down back so didn't think it would be fair to include his average (0.1) as it wouldn't be a true average. But yeah it seems Trey breaks even with the other 3 in terms of average per game.

Markfs

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 13, 2008
Fremantle
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Sydney Sweeney's Shaving Team...
trey is streets ahead of the other guys.... plus he's a tall marking target who reminds me of the great collingwood 6-footers of many years ago...

and the best part is that he's got mongrel.... the other guys are wimps..

I would love to know if ruscoe averages more goals then 3 combined you can throw c brown in there to I'm staggered how bucks has them 4 in front of him, it doesn't take a genius to realise the forward line lacks fire power, and is the reason the backs in the mids are so reluctant to go quick inside 50
Not going to get it in quick because it's only Degoey at full forward?

Our system is to feed it backwards to a quarter back who then distrubutes it by hand until we can get someone in the clear - it's been worked out. We just loop in around by hand and end up just hacking it forward because teams don't allow the free player in the chain.

Wagee

Debutant
Apr 26, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
Ruscoe avg: 1.3 goals per game

WHE ave: .6 goals per game
C. Brown ave: .4 goals per game
JT ave: .3 goals per game

Varcoe spent a bit of time down back so didn't think it would be fair to include his average (0.1) as it wouldn't be a true average. But yeah it seems Trey breaks even with the other 3 in terms of average per game.
[/QUOTfair enough point but bottom lines is ruscoe averages almost the same amount as our other 4 small
And still can't get a game I know pressure is important but you need someone up there
Ruscoe is more a 3rd tall type vs WHE and Thomas being smaller forwards. I'd play him ahead of Varcoe but the other 2 play roles structurally.
I'm sick of hearing they play a role they pressure and so on they are useless, the opposition play them no respect, I understand you need pressure up forward but you also need more then 2 players in the forward 50 who can kick a goal (degoey Miocheck) how ruscoe got dropped after kicking 2 goals is mind boggling, the kid averages just as many goals as brown varcoe Thomas and WHE combined please argue the case how he isn't in front of any of them atm, it's always been obvious bucks as his favourites but this is just a disgrace

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood

Interesting question but not something that can be considered in isolation, each of the players has their own strengths and weaknesses. Their relative ranking within the Pies squad against these stats (for instance):

Player - goalsPressure ActsMarksMarks I50TacklesGoal Assists
Ruscoe 4th - 1.335th - 634th - 1.313th - 0.337th - 0.837th - 0
WHE 9th - 0.629th - 8.34th - 4.78th - 0.535th - 0.96th - 0.4
C Brown 16th - 0.44th - 17.731st - 1.711th - 0.418th - 2.17th - 0.4
Thomas - 18th - 0.310th - 13.826th - 2.210th - 0.416th - 2.212th - 0.3

I've left Varcoe out as he's had so little exposed form forward to assess.

I guess if you add the goal assists it's Ruscoe 1.3 v Rest 2.4, and as I showed last week, we score more on average without Ruscoe than we do with, and we concede less on average without than we do with.

Markfs

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 13, 2008
Fremantle
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Sydney Sweeney's Shaving Team...
Interesting question but not something that can be considered in isolation, each of the players has their own strengths and weaknesses. Their relative ranking within the Pies squad against these stats (for instance):

Player - goalsPressure ActsMarksMarks I50TacklesGoal Assists
Ruscoe 4th - 1.335th - 634th - 1.313th - 0.337th - 0.837th - 0
WHE 9th - 0.629th - 8.34th - 4.78th - 0.535th - 0.96th - 0.4
C Brown 16th - 0.44th - 17.731st - 1.711th - 0.418th - 2.17th - 0.4
Thomas - 18th - 0.310th - 13.826th - 2.210th - 0.416th - 2.212th - 0.3

I've left Varcoe out as he's had so little exposed form forward to assess.

I guess if you add the goal assists it's Ruscoe 1.3 v Rest 2.4, and as I showed last week, we score more on average without Ruscoe than we do with, and we concede less on average without than we do with.

you left out the mongrel index..... ruscoe has tons nad the rest have negative mongrel indices.

HFF

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 25, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
FC Barcelona, Liverpool, FC Bayern
Simple as this...
Nathan doesn’t trust kids enough

he will always go back to what he knows—-and that is the older players
You only need to see some of the selections like Varcoe or JT or Greenwood.

He will do the same with Mayne shortly too.

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
I'm sick of hearing they play a role they pressure and so on they are useless, the opposition play them no respect, I understand you need pressure up forward but you also need more then 2 players in the forward 50 who can kick a goal (degoey Miocheck) how ruscoe got dropped after kicking 2 goals is mind boggling, the kid averages just as many goals as brown varcoe Thomas and WHE combined please argue the case how he isn't in front of any of them atm, it's always been obvious bucks as his favourites but this is just a disgrace

Despite the goals he’s actually kicked, the team actually averages a higher score without Ruscoe than they do with, they also concede less without than they do with. Seems the pressure has purpose.

AuTo00Z

Club Legend
Feb 12, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Ruscoe is by far the youngest and most inexperienced. His averages may be lower, but that's mainly due to the inconsistency that comes with being a young player, and also not having the tank to play as many minutes as the others (or run the game out as well). He's shown more imo. Varcoe and JT are cooked, WHE doesn't do enough for his age and experience and has been far off his best for some time now, and Brown while younger and not as experienced, is still older and more experienced than Ruscoe, and not providing much (if anything) more.

Ruscoe for me easily. Just imagine if he kicked straight too!

jackcass

Cancelled
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
Ruscoe is by far the youngest and most inexperienced. His averages may be lower, but that's mainly due to the inconsistency that comes with being a young player, and also not having the tank to play as many minutes as the others (or run the game out as well). He's shown more imo. Varcoe and JT are cooked, WHE doesn't do enough for his age and experience and has been far off his best for some time now, and Brown while younger and not as experienced, is still older and more experienced than Ruscoe, and not providing much (if anything) more.

Ruscoe for me easily. Just imagine if he kicked straight too!

Appleby kicked 1 goal 3, same could be said of him.

JLC

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 4, 2001
house
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Liverpool NY Yankees
WHE > Ruscoe > Thomas > Varcoe

But along with the Brown brothers, how did we get so many small forwards that actually doesn't contribute anything and would be delisted in a second at any other club?

WHE is well overpaid compared to what he produces.

Agree with the order.

Wagee

Debutant
Apr 26, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
Despite the goals he’s actually kicked, the team actually averages a higher score without Ruscoe than they do with, they also concede less without than they do with. Seems the pressure has purpose.
That might have more to do with degoey not in side then the 2 tackles brown and Thomas laid

rand corp

Premiership Player
Oct 5, 2004
asia
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood
Ruscoe looks to have a bit of X factor about him and I'm confident he will taste regular football in the season(s) ahead. He's just at the very beginning of his career and needs another pre-season or two.

Ruscoe looks to have a bit of X factor about him and I'm confident he will taste regular football in the season(s) ahead. He's just at the very beginning of his career and needs another pre-season or two.
Personally I think he'd offer more than Stevo who seems a shell of his former self.
When he stood and braced for a tackle instead of trying to use the ball, it highlighted something is NQR.

Back