Golf World Golf thread - Foreign and Domestic

Remove this Banner Ad

As someone who has always followed the majors and pays reasonable attention to the two primary tours, but who has only recently begun playing regularly and competitively, is it pretty fair to say that regardless of how good someone is around the greens, it completely removes the nuances of the sport to have a player who on a good day could basically get around the course with a putter, 1/2 woods and 3 high irons?

God he played good today as much as I hate to say it. Never looked like losing. Felt for Wolf he couldn't keep it together when it matterd today.

Also for those interested thought I'd share this here. Loving the game and will definitely give this course a crack tonight. For those that have played there how is the recreation of it on the game?

Is someone cutting up onions?

Bryson came out and said that he'd been practicing hitting his short irons and wedges out of thick rough and his plan all along was to use driver (didn't matter where it landed) and because he hits it so high and he's so strong, the rough didn't matter.

He's changed the strategy from course management to bomb and gouge through brute force.

Jack has stated the remedy for years.

Change the ball.

Long hitters will still have an advantage but the courses would demand creativity and solid course management instead of just overpowering them

All the BDC hate is boring as batsh1t

He shot 6 under, most weeks that might just make the cut.
Wolff out drove him length wise most of the week.
Maybe Bryson was just smarter for the extra practice he did in the longer rough
Louis finished top 5 and he's by no means long in today's standards

Bryson uses a 5 or 6 degree driver, maybe golf rules change so 9 degrees is the lowest they can go.

Either way, I loved it and I'm not a Bryson fan by any means, different shots with an element of unknown is better than resort style target practice

Bryson uses a 5 or 6 degree driver, maybe golf rules change so 9 degrees is the lowest they can go.

Either way, I loved it and I'm not a Bryson fan by any means, different shots with an element of unknown is better than resort style target practice

i don't think anyone wants to see stupid scores and everyone just tearing courses to pieces but it would be nice to know that there's going to be room for every style of player out there.

Everyone wants to hit the ball further - it ruined Ian Baker-Finch's career - but I would imagine that distance doesn't occupy most of the focus for most players. Credit to the guy for putting well and playing smart with his approaches but geez it takes some touch out of the game when you can just go driver-wedge most of the day

Just out of curiosity, which is your favourite major? Or put it another way,how would you rank the majors from best to worst and why.
As for the bolded bit, a lot of the PGA Tour courses particularly those on the Florida swing are crap,so i would agree with you there.

Jack has stated the remedy for years.

Change the ball.

Long hitters will still have an advantage but the courses would demand creativity and solid course management instead of just overpowering them
It's a bit like how old AFL legend Kevin Bartlett has been banging on for years that they need to abolish the interchange to fix congestion in AFL...I happen to agree. Will they listen to Jack?...probably not.

Or maybe he gets his distance from chemical enhancement.

As for Wolff keeping up with him driving, on holes that were difference makers BAD was 30-40 yards further than anyone else playing.

Nobody is that much better than their peers at such an elite level in distance.

Not naturally

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Will we ever see a tour ball?

I think no, just because of the lobbying the equipment industry does. At the end of the day the decision makers get a lot of $$ from manufacturers

As for Wolff keeping up with him driving, on holes that were difference makers BAD was 30-40 yards further than anyone else playing.

Not naturally

Except he isn't 30-40 yards longer

Not naturally
Screenshot_20200922-210234_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20200922-210243_Chrome.jpg

But hey, the official data might be wrong, or just possibly, youre wrong on this one

Yes actually they do. I love you point to the one time Wolff was able to match him.

The fact is that in any tournament BAD has played in since his “protein shake” diet—he significantly outdrives his peers on the course. It has been seen repeatedly.

His improvement in driving distance to where it once was is like going from 35 dingers a year to 70.

At that level in any sport such significant outlier improvement is gravely suspect.

You and I will fundamentally disagree on this very clearly.

But the stats show he has a distinct advantage...and it is apparent

You do understand how they measure driving distance in that category, yes?

Bit disingenuous mate
Its a consistent measure used by the pga

If however we want to head to the long drive championship then let's try

If Rory Mc at 5ft 7" and BDC were on a tee and just told
How far can you drive?

Rory would out drive him almost religiously

I've sat and watched Zac Murray hit 360metre bombs around his home course, and that's with not much run
Min Woo Lee who's 60kgs hits it 330metres

When Arnie Palmer arrived he hit it further than anyone, Norman the same and Tiger was simply better yet none of these guys were accused of "enhancing "

BDC has always been different he's dedicated to HIS process and this week it worked for him

Its a consistent measure used by the pga

If however we want to head to the long drive championship then let's try

If Rory Mc at 5ft 7" and BDC were on a tee and just told
How far can you drive?

Rory would out drive him almost religiously

I've sat and watched Zac Murray hit 360metre bombs around his home course, and that's with not much run
Min Woo Lee who's 60kgs hits it 330metres

When Arnie Palmer arrived he hit it further than anyone, Norman the same and Tiger was simply better yet none of these guys were accused of "enhancing "

BDC has always been different he's dedicated to HIS process and this week it worked for him

It is a stat measured at 2 holes in each tournament. Depending on the hole location, weather and a host of other factors it can produce a “stat” that doesn’t mirror reality.

My buddies college roommate was Brett Quigley—you certainly know him from being behind only John Daly and ahead of Tiger Woods in that category in 2001.

The key to his success? He knew the 2 holes they measured—as they all do and as he put it, he didn’t give a s**t where he was on the leaderboard and just ripped it on those 2 holes.

Thus, it is not an accurate stat to point to as some sort of proof BAD has no advantage—it is disingenuous cherry picking.

As the article states I pointed to—BAD had a tremendous advantage of 40 yards over his competitors (notwithstanding your one outlier drive by Wolff)

At each tournament BAD has won—you will see an equally significant advantage over his peers.

I know you know the game better than me, so you haven’t missed that either.

You can say you are sick of me pounding on him and that is fine—but the story is the story

Remove this Banner Ad

Back