News Hart and Godden sacked

Remove this Banner Ad

Pretty much, that whole review was such a sh*t show we didn't even leave ourselves enough time to get a senior assistant.
The irony is that its probably worked out better. Sure we sucked this year but now with the cuts everywhere we'll get way more looks at quality people who just want a job in the AFL industry still who may have previously not considered at move to Adelaide. Had we appointed last year we'd have been taking whoever we could get and likely signing them up for a couple years and then miss the opportunities this year presents.

In truth I was never fussed, thought its fine to let Nicks come in for the year, see where he thinks things are at then arrange who he wants over the year rather than rushing.

Never change Bigfooty
Yeah I thought about checking his "Nicks" history as like you I could recall when he posted exactly the opposite but he does tend to make some really ridiculous statements quite regularly so you have to make allowances.

Jesus, we’ve essentially fired our entire mid/Def/fwd coaches.

who are our top picks to replace each role?
So we absolutely should after a grand final followed by three pathetic seasons, culminating in a wooden spoon.

Pyke is gone and pretty much the entire post-grand final coaching panel is no more. This will be an excellent opportunity to get some decent support for Nicks.

That said, I wish Ben Hart and his family happiness and the best of luck.

The irony is that its probably worked out better. Sure we sucked this year but now with the cuts everywhere we'll get way more looks at quality people who just want a job in the AFL industry still who may have previously not considered at move to Adelaide. Had we appointed last year we'd have been taking whoever we could get and likely signing them up for a couple years and then miss the opportunities this year presents.

In truth I was never fussed, thought its fine to let Nicks come in for the year, see where he thinks things are at then arrange who he wants over the year rather than rushing.

Weirdly, yes. It didn't deserve to work out better, but COVID certainly saved that decision and how late we decided on an external review.

I mean, you absolutely do not hire anyone last year if you are beginning your search in December, but the mess up was leaving it that late at the start of a rebuild. Still I do suppose a baptism of fire for Nicks probably isn't the worst thing in the long run, as it'd give him a good idea of where he needs to delegate, if he's self aware enough to work that out.

Last edited:
Also being a good player doesn't automatically make you a good coach.

Getting real sick of all these muppets suggesting we should get all these ex players as coaches despite them being completely unproven.

Look at Voss ffs.
Yep

Coaching is teaching.

Some people can't teach what they are good at.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Praise be to Alah, Jesus, Vishnu the Preserver, Shiva the Destroyer, Ra Odin and all the other sky fairies for making this happen
There is only one true Godra, and thou shalt have no other Godra's before him.

Yep

Coaching is teaching.

Some people can't teach what they are good at.

Can also be difficult to teach what comes naturally. The people who had to work for every little improvement in their game are probably better than those who just picked up a footy and were instinctively good at it.

Thank goodness we’ve finally got rid of Godden. Those who have worked with him know he never had the skill set to be an AFL assistant. Especially running the midfield of an AFL club 🤦‍♂️.

Can also be difficult to teach what comes naturally. The people who had to work for every little improvement in their game are probably better than those who just picked up a footy and were instinctively good at it.

Long considered why back pockets become good coaches. The Sheedy Principle!

Seems like very few elite players become elite coaches. Maybe Leigh Matthews the exception, but this also seems to hold in all sports.

There are far fewer elite players

You can see with players like Hodge that they are practically coaches on the field. Instructing others, directing traffic, vocal. Successfully I might add. You know they'll be good coaches straight out of the game.

Josh Kennedy (Syd) has never struck me the same way, good player but doesn't seem like he's running the show and impacting others (though the pedigree is there)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back