News Hart and Godden sacked

Remove this Banner Ad

Thank goodness we’ve finally got rid of Godden. Those who have worked with him know he never had the skill set to be an AFL assistant. Especially running the midfield of an AFL club 🤦‍♂️.

I think he would of been handy in a development role at the club. He was knew to the AFL system which was always going to make it difficult. He needed to have a year as development coach and getting used to the AFL system and scouting before taking on a main role.

Having him step straight in and keeping Hart on showed how much we were struggling to attract the right skillset.

Boys club boys club
Not really. A "boys club" appointment would be signing someone despite being totally incompetent at their job proven by previous failures (see Hart and Burton). They got the job though because they're Roo's mates. Bassett is

a) Not Roo's mate
b) Actually good at what he does proven by Port's defensive structure

Just because he was an ex-Crow, it doesn't make him part of the boy's club.

Last edited:

Not really. A "boys club" appointment would be signing someone despite being totally incompetent at their job proven by previously failures (see Hart and Burton). They got the job though because they're Roo's mates. Bassett is

a) Not Roo's mate

He is a Neil Craig disciple.

Two years ago you could see a lot of NC in the way Port played. Slow methodical build up, defend space over cause a contest, field position over attacking the goal mouth.

Then Schofield arrived. Port much more direct, create the turnover/force the contest and longer play.

Bass is very much in the NC school of Football. Just like Goodwin and I bet Rutten is too.

We don't want that.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

These changes are good .. but I'm still waiting for changes in the boardroom
Waiting-Skeleton.jpg

The club never said sacked. So we shouldn't use it either.
+
Now, now, Crowbotoratory , be nice. Not "sacked" ;) .
Let go.
Surplus to the Crows' current needs.
Released, to pursue other opportunities.
Downsized.
Canned.
Dismissed.
Made redundant.
Axed.
Parted ways.
No longer a fit.
Transitioned.
Un-hired.
It's not you, it's us.
(read for all of the above: "It's you, not us. We want our forward line to work and kick goals").

There are far fewer elite players

You can see with players like Hodge that they are practically coaches on the field. Instructing others, directing traffic, vocal. Successfully I might add. You know they'll be good coaches straight out of the game.

Josh Kennedy (Syd) has never struck me the same way, good player but doesn't seem like he's running the show and impacting others (though the pedigree is there)

You know who else directed his players on the field? Voss

You know who else directed his players on the field? Voss
Difference between the gee up yeller and tactical. He never struck me as particularly smart during all his interviews as a player. Was a lad. Good at football. Not really a football thinker in the way Hodge demonstrates. Never screamed coach in waiting.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When you lose faith in AFC with even after review cleanup we stayed with easy options in coaches etc and even the appointment of Nicks being SA boy looked easy option , then finally touch decisions being made in players and coaches.
Only thing didn't like was the soft sell on Ben Hart moving for family reasons .
He was sacked because he cant coach and never could or will and should never been given another chance back with us.
Mods please put a ban on anyone that mentions that ex Power , GWS, Richmond coaches name .
He was toxic at Power with 2004 making him unbearable to all and GWS was heir apparent to follow Sheedy but realised wasn't and Richmond could not handle him in a minor role .
Think we got a good no nonsense operators in Kelly and Nicks now need to look at Haas and improving our recruiting team in some way asa too many mistakes been made in both departments and lets build a new complete team to get us back where should be.

Agree, I've been talking about the lack of movement for ages. Even in the wqrm ups v Essendon, all the CBA stuff involved players standing sti.

I and others have been referring to it since Lyons left. As whether one rates him or not, that was a very obvious point of difference between him and our other mids. Our club/coaches has been very reluctant to make changes. We were calling for Laird to get a crack in the stoppages weeks before they made the move. Here was a guy flatlining in his old role watching a midfield getting torched and he clearly had the attributes required to make a difference. It's almost disappointing that it worked.

Hart's son goes to school in Melbourne, after he moved to coach Collingwood.

Mattner will coach in the SANFL again next year

If there are still development coaches next year, why wouldn't Mattner be better for that role than Reilly? He was recruited in a higher position, so you'd think is more highly rated. I suppose he may have knocked that option back as he wants to be involved game day.

Josh Kennedy if he doesn't continue playing next season would interest me as a midfield coach...Played under some really good head coaches and assistant coaches
He has had some good coaches and he comes from one of the best cultured clubs. Worth a look.

Never change Bigfooty

I ruled a line through him early, then slowly warmed, then cooled again at selection for Roos game and have been warming again ever since. There's still a way to go and there remains some concerns. But I'm prepared to say my early call is looking shaky and Roo et al may have recruited an agent of change. Which would mean this guy bluffed his way through every interview.

Nicks and Kelly I'd say.

Nicks was told he could have free reign of his own staff

Which Pyke could have done after 2017 concluded. Had the club by the balls, they could deny him next to nothing. But he chose to not use his power which effectively led to his demise. He could even have managed to curtail Burton's influence.

Not really. A "boys club" appointment would be signing someone despite being totally incompetent at their job proven by previously failures (see Hart and Burton). They got the job though because they're Roo's mates. Bassett is

a) Not Roo's mate

The boys club has existed at our club before Roo became so heavily involved in its day to day running.

Stop equating the boys club with Roo, it is far deeper rooted.

He is a symptom, not a cause.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back