Rising Star 2020

Phew! Thank goodness they gave it to Sholl this week. I don't think I could have survived another episode of the childish carry-on which followed Isaac Quaynor's well deserved nomination last week. "Body of work" has always been the criteria to earn a nomination, despite claims to the contrary. Sholl has now put in 2 creditable performances, and has now achieved his nomination.

I hope we don't ever see a repeat of the unedifying behaviour following last weeks nomination. Puerile in the extreme.
100% agree. The "body of work" criteria for late round nominations has been around for as long as I remember.

Embarassing tantrums from a self-entitled supporter base sifting through the bin for positives.

Sep 30, 2011
Freo
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Whoever is playing WC
Why is this even a conversation?

Caleb Serong will win in a unanimous decision if we are fair dinkum
Anderson has had a pretty good finish to the year. I haven't watched all of his games like Serong but on paper they were at least matching each other at the end of the season. I still think Serong gets it due to his influence in games, although only played 14 games compared to 17 so not sure if that is a factor.

Anybody know when it's announced?

Gold Rocks

Club Legend
Oct 2, 2019
AFL Club
Richmond
Anderson has had a pretty good finish to the year. I haven't watched all of his games like Serong but on paper they were at least matching each other at the end of the season. I still think Serong gets it due to his influence in games, although only played 14 games compared to 17 so not sure if that is a factor.

Anybody know when it's announced?
Tomorrow night

Ironic that this week it should have been Dylan Moore, but whatever.
Someone was always going to miss out and it's a pity because Moore isn't going to be eligible for next year.

But we have a good one here, his repeat efforts in transition is a beauty. Former stawell gift runner so he knows how to back up some long sprints. Will give Scully a real run for his money next year.

Purple_Turtle

Stockholm Syndrome
Oct 12, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
South Fremantle, Hull City
Votes for the AFLPA Best First Year Player went like this:

1. 340 votes: Caleb Serong (Fremantle)

2. 158 votes: Noah Anderson (Gold Coast)

3. 47 votes: Will Day (Hawthorn)

4. 30 votes: Lachie Ash (Greater Western Sydney)

5. 22 votes: Mitch Georgiades (Port Adelaide)

Not sure how much players and judges see eye-to-eye on this stuff, but if it's anything to go off Serong should have the Rising Star by a decent margin.

Aug 18, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Some muppets in the media are still arguing that Matt Rowell would be a worthy winner based on his 5 games.

Do they not realise that he'll be favourite to win it in 2021? He'll still be eligible. Are we going to have a back-to-back rising star?

Goes to show its been a pretty weak year and no nominee has been that good. Probably due to the whole 2020 saga, be pretty tough to handle as a first year player

Purple_Turtle

Stockholm Syndrome
Oct 12, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
haha fair enough from a freo supporter

I think Anderson was really good as well actually. I don't think he deserves it over Serong, but I know why people are making the argument.

Rowell being talked about isn't an indictment on Serong, Anderson et al. It's recognition of someone who looked like he would be generational before he went down, which you don't get in most Rising Star years.

I think Anderson was really good as well actually. I don't think he deserves it over Serong, but I know why people are making the argument.

Rowell being talked about isn't an indictment on Serong, Anderson et al. It's recognition of someone who looked like he would be generational before he went down, which you don't get in most Rising Star years.

Do you think that Rowelll's three best games is better than every other Rising Player?

Purple_Turtle

Stockholm Syndrome
Oct 12, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Do you think that Rowelll's three best games is better than every other Rising Player?

In what sense?

If you mean whether Rowell's best games were better then the best games of any other nominee than probably.

If you mean his games in total were better than the total games of Anderson and Serong than no. Only playing 4 full games in a season is pretty limiting.

Dec 20, 2014
Hong Kong
AFL Club
West Coast

So is the award now meant to be a prediction about who will turn out to be the best player? Or does it reward the eligible player who produced the best season?

Purple_Turtle

Stockholm Syndrome
Oct 12, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
So is the award now meant to be a prediction about who will turn out to be the best player? Or does it reward the eligible player who produced the best season?

Best I can find is Wikipedia "best young player for the year."

Back