News Burns new senior assistant

Remove this Banner Ad

Doubt its Nicks. In my experience it's common for the higher ups to make the calls but it's left to the team leader to break the news. He's probably lucky he's on a 3 year deal in all honestly.

I think the Kelly theory is more likely.
Nicks has a massive influence and say on who ke wants...... massive

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Plenty of speculation about who got Burns:
Be funny if Roo is actually behind all this and we're all fantasising that Nicks suddenly took control of the club.
I think the precursor to all this has Adam Kelly's fingerprints all over it personally, very impressive individual.
... Nicks would have a major contribution and say in who he’d want as an assistant. It’s up to Kelly to see what he can accomodate and get done.
I'd love to know how this came about. I can't see the appointment being made without Nicks' total agreement.
Does anybody know when Burns was headhunted, when he was decided upon and by whom, please?

Unusual post:
I'm sure its a good appointment.
But I just dont like the bloke. There's something just not right about him. I hope I'm wrong.
You're sure it's a good appointment --- but --- you don't think so, yet you hope it is? (<== not having a go at you; I just don't understand it).
Upon what do you base your misgivings (in bold italics), please, or is it just a hunch?

I'd love to know how this came about. I can't see the appointment being made without Nicks' total agreement.
Does anybody know when Burns was headhunted, when he was decided upon and by whom, please?
It’s like the whole world has gone on a spending spree/ retail therapy to stave off the depression of Covid taking away our freedom. All the way from world leaders to households. Printing money, raiding Super, windfall dole increases et al.

I think the precursor to all this has Adam Kelly's fingerprints all over it personally, very impressive individual.

Nicks is the precursor because as a condition of accepting the gig, he would have demanded control of who his group was end of this season. Kelly is the facilitator. If Nicks was happy with his group or flatly didn't want Burns, this doesn't happen. Nicks is step 1, Kelly is step 2. This has both their fingerprints all over it, Nicks for wanting him in the first place and Kelly for making it happen.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Kelly said a few weeks back that it was up to him and Nicks to build the new footy department.

All I reckon Roo, Fagan and the board would be involved in is signing the cheques or not blocking us spending the money. Reckon they’ve figured being sh*t costs more.

There's only 1 reason that football geniuses like Rob Chapman, Andrew Fagan and the financial controller of the day sit on the key Football Strategy Committee. And you've nailed it. Hopefully we've now separated admin from influence and the footy dept get their budget as provided by the AFL's spending cap and they go about deciding how it's spent. I'm sure Kelly will have no problems understanding and using the bean counter's budgeting spreadsheet.

Last edited:
Doubt its Nicks. In my experience it's common for the higher ups to make the calls but it's left to the team leader to break the news. He's probably lucky he's on a 3 year deal in all honestly.

I think the Kelly theory is more likely.

In your experience as a senior coach of an AFL club? Fairly specific environment. Any decent incoming senior coach would demand to make the call on those under him when their contract is up. Within budget, they would have an enormous say who comes in to replace.

I'm not directly involved, obviously, but I seriously doubt it's as simple as "Nicks / Kelly / Roo <delete as appropriate> got him". It would have been all 3 of them involved. Obviously Roo would have had a bit to do with Burns given that he has applied for the senior role twice, so he would have a bit of knowledge about the guy and an established relationship. And I'm sure if Nicks didn't already know him (and I imagine assistant coaches would cross paths with each other from time to time) then he would certainly have had a few conversations with him prior to this appointment, ditto Kelly. A role like this isn't going to get signed off without all 3 of these guys agreeing to it.

I suspect the discussions would have been ongoing for a while. My assumption would be that when Nicks was hired he was told "it's too late to replace the assistants now, so just go with what we've already got this year and we'll get some better support around you next year". So he sticks with Hart, Godden etc and that gives them pretty much a full year to sound out potential assistants. And COVID probably worked in our favour with the turmoil in football departments all over the league - if somebody came to you in the middle of this season and offered you a guarantee of employment for the next 2 years, you'd probably be interested.

Nicks is the precursor because as a condition of accepting the gig, he would have demanded control of who his group was end of this season. Kelly is the facilitator. If Nicks was happy with his group or flatly didn't want Burns, this doesn't happen. Nicks is step 1, Kelly is step 2. This has both their fingerprints all over it, Nicks for wanting him in the first place and Kelly for making it happen.
Yes and I think it's telling that Nicks is the first coach we've had in ages to actually sweep out the coaches box. Our other recent coaches always seemed happy with roll with Craig's leftovers. I don't want to be too critical because I don't know much freedom these guys actually had to appoint new staff but I do take it as a sign the culture of mediocrity at Adelaide is starting to change.

Yes and I think it's telling that Nicks is the first coach we've had in ages to actually sweep out the coaches box. Our other recent coaches always seemed happy with roll with Craig's leftovers. I don't want to be too critical because I don't know much freedom these guys actually had to appoint new staff but I do take it as a sign the culture of mediocrity at Adelaide is starting to change.

I'm fairly confident that very few, if any, coaches could walk into a group and demand contracted coaches be paid, moved on and replaced with his crew. Even before covid, the spending cap made that very difficult. A Roos or Clarkson type could if they were heading into an Eagles/Pies/Tigers type financial environment. But most coaches are first time senior coaches, and having that kind of disregard for spending caps and club finances would be a terrible look and completely irresponsible. Logically, what each coach would expect/demand is that they make a call on the existing coaches when there contract next comes up. Part of their own due diligence on the role would be finding out when each of the coaches that they'll be inheriting are out of contract.

So you will always inherit at least most of the leftovers and it would be up to you whether they're extended. Pyke chose to extend what he inherited, except Hart, but then Francou smelt what was being cooked and went back to a 'teaching' career.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back