What’s up with Cripps?

Remove this Banner Ad

I’m sick to death of people saying ‘he’s injured’

What is the injury then? Hard knocks? If it is, don’t play him.

He certainly doesn’t have a torn ACL or Achilles?

Injuries are no excuse for poor set shot kicking at crucial times during games.

Champion in the past or not, he is poorly out of form and continues to be a 2020 Brock McLean.
Look at the strapping - usually signs of where injuries are being managed. Cripps has been managing both a knee and shoulder issue at various stages....in addition to the regular corkies and knocks he plays through week after week. He's got injuries a player can play through - but it does limit their ability to play to their normal level.

I remember watching him play out a VFL game with a broken leg....such is his character. I'd guess if we werent a finals chance, we would have parked him for rehab 3-4 weeks ago.

While the injury thing may have some relevance, I'm almost 100% positive that he's also being instructed/coached differently which is contributing to his issues. Where he used to always look to draw 1/2/3 opposition players then stand up in the tackle and get a great handball out to a free teammate, he now seems to want to give those 3 players the "don't argue" and run out of the stoppage himself.

It works very rarely, and when it does he might even manage a freak "goal of the year" contender like yesterday, but he is getting a lot of HTB or just losing the contest because of it. Whoever is coaching him to do this is not helping his career at all imo. It seems to be more emulating the way a Dustin Martin type plays and he ain't Dusty as much as he or our coaches may want him to be. Cripps may have the strength but he doesn't have the awareness, fend-off timing or foot skills that Martin has to play that style. In fact nobody in the competition except Dusty can really do that the way he does.

Not sure if you've watched much footy .... its got all the symptoms of playing with a groin injury. As an Eagles supporter I've seen it with Judd & Cox, a very debilitating injury, effectively Cripps could have been rested for the season after a couple of weeks, but like other genuine champions their worst is better than most of the rest.

If he has a groin injury, let say an adductor tendinopathy, he should NOT be playing.

Overload/stress on the tendon > leads to stress reactions on the bone > Osteitis Pubis.

The club should not be playing him if he is half baked. I'm backing in the medical team in this instance that he is fit to play.

However, my point is that there are no excuses for his poor form based on:

A) Being captain
B) Highest paid player on the list
C) Holding the club to ransom by not re-signing

If he has a groin injury, let say an adductor tendinopathy, he should NOT be playing.

Overload/stress on the tendon > leads to stress reactions on the bone > Osteitis Pubis.

The club should not be playing him if he is half baked. I'm backing in the medical team in this instance that he is fit to play.

A) Being captain

Holding the club to ransom? Ha ha ha... that’s the best one you’ve come up with...

You know there’s another 17 clubs you can barrack for?

A) Being captain

I felt that way about Juddy but he was captain & they were reigning Premiers.
The reality is the clubs want their best players out there.

Its not an excuse, more reality.

Holding the club to ransom? Ha ha ha... that’s the best one you’ve come up with...

You know there’s another 17 clubs you can barrack for?
bloke works out back of a vet so has knowledge of stuff.........

A) Being captain

Holding the Club to ransom. :rolleyes:

How so he's contracted until end of 2021.

I felt that way about Juddy but he was captain & they were reigning Premiers.
The reality is the clubs want their best players out there.

Its not an excuse, more reality.
Kwality post.

Okay so now we know "What's up with Cripps", he was playing under duress. Good on him for doing his best to push through the pain. Poor form on his part as captain for "pushing through the pain" he has clearly now dropped out of the top 50 players in the comp. Gary Ablett would not have played. Also this injury does not excuse piss poor set shot kicking.

One can only assume that since Cripps was struggling with his shoulders that he will be having an acromioplasty/ rotator cuff repair.

He should not have been playing... The multiple bumps/knocks on the shoulder can compound this injury and FYI this procedure isn't always successful anyway, this involves shaving the collarbone and acromion to release pressure from the bursa. Quite often bursitis re-manifests it's self afterwards.

The bloke must have been having multiple cortisone injections to play through the pain (which has also been proven to break down the collagen of the tendon). BIG SHAME again on the injury management team.

Jamo, Judd, Kruezer, Murphy, Docherty, Waite to name a few.

It's an absolute disgrace that we continue to mismanage our stars, no wonder they end up leaving. He was a liability in the latter half of the year.

Okay so now we know "What's up with Cripps", he was playing under duress. Good on him for doing his best to push through the pain. Poor form on his part as captain for "pushing through the pain" he has clearly now dropped out of the top 50 players in the comp. Gary Ablett would not have played. Also this injury does not excuse piss poor set shot kicking.

One can only assume that since Cripps was struggling with his shoulders that he will be having an acromioplasty/ rotator cuff repair.

He should not have been playing... The multiple bumps/knocks on the shoulder can compound this injury and FYI this procedure isn't always successful anyway, this involves shaving the collarbone and acromion to release pressure from the bursa. Quite often bursitis re-manifests it's self afterwards.

The bloke must have been having multiple cortisone injections to play through the pain (which has also been proven to break down the collagen of the tendon). BIG SHAME again on the injury management team.

It's an absolute disgrace that we continue to mismanage our stars, no wonder they end up leaving. He was a liability in the latter half of the year.
He's 100% still in the top 50, he finished 5th for contested possessions this year. He was not a liability, he still played well.

My friend manages the S&C for a top tier AFLW team and has worked with another top tier AFLW team in the past. He has also ran S&C for multiple representative football teams and a VFL team. Let me tell you, you have no clue. The difference in injury management now compared to five years ago is worlds apart. He has told me that in some players cases, they will count the amount of kicks they take and cater their training load accordingly.

Crippa will be back to his very best after minor surgery. If you don't want to back our captain, or our S&C staff then perhaps a different club is for you. We've got Docherty back to his best and have one of the shortest injury lists in the AFL.

If you don't want to back our captain, or our S&C staff then perhaps a different club is for you.

These are the statements that aren't required!!
Everyone is entitled to raise concerns and discuss them like adults.
Navy_Blue91 has done that eloquently and given medical reasons to back up his thoughts. He doesn't deserve this type of a response.

These are the statements that aren't required!!
Everyone is entitled to raise concerns and discuss them like adults.
Navy_Blue91 has done that eloquently and given medical reasons to back up his thoughts. He doesn't deserve this type of a response.
Honestly, apologies. You're right, he hasn't been a campaigner about it and is entitled to his opinion. I'm just projecting.

Sorry Navy_Blue91 your opinions and concerns are valid, I just don't agree entirely with what you're saying based on my understanding of S&C practices at the elite level.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You are making very large assumptions here in diagnosing an injury with no real insight into how it has been effecting Crippa. Apart from the tape on the shoulders did we (the supporters) even know he had a problem with his shoulders? All we have been talking about is how he has been moving around the ground which is unrelated.

It didn't help at that time, that Worsfold knew Judd was leaving.;)

Quite so, more that the Eagles were not allowed a Visy style deal, but when you want to go home ....

Your good timing with the Eagles putting Yeo on ice despite playing finals. Something Crippa might discuss when next he catches up with his old schoolmate.

Quite so, more that the Eagles were not allowed a Visy style deal, but when you want to go home ....

Your good timing with the Eagles putting Yeo on ice despite playing finals. Something Crippa might discuss when next he catches up with his old schoolmate.
Very cryptic post.

You think Yeos a chance to come to the blues?

Snap amateur diagnosis from a long way away, assume motivation, make judgement calls about where he stands in the overall scheme of things. It's almost getting to the "you need to have a good hard look at yourself" time.

Holding the club to ransom???

Judds career was finished by doing a knee, shoulders were pre-existing when he came to us (279 games)
Kreuzer was finished off by a metatarsal he sustained in play round 1 (189 games)
Murphy's shoulder injuries stemmed from Copeland sling tackling him in Brisbane (285 games)
Waite lost me when he jumped ship but still managed 244 games
Jamo was a good foot soldier from the rookie draft who managed 150 games
Doc came back well this year after 2 knee surgeries.

Looking for a common thread for your random lumping together. Most appear to be players who have played with and overcome injury. To suggest that Judds knee injury or Kreuzer's metatarsal were injury mismanagement by the club is ludicrous.

I understand everyone's a little disappointed Crippa didn't play as well as he did last year, but let's try to keep things in perspective here.

Excluding Round 18 (because the data source I use hasn't been updated - and Crippa missed most of the second half against the Lions anyway), Cripps is:

#1 in the comp for Centre Clearances per game

Screen Shot 2020-09-24 at 10.58.45 pm.png

He's #2 in Total Clearances and just outside the Top 10 for Stoppage Clearances - I wont bother putting up more Clearance graphs, you get the point.

#5 in the comp for Contested Possessions

Screen Shot 2020-09-24 at 10.53.11 pm.png

He just misses out on making the Top 10 for Champion Data Rating Points, coming in 0.75 points behind Dangerfield, but still well clear of anyone else at Carlton.

Screen Shot 2020-09-24 at 10.54.37 pm.png

I know people have their opinions on the Rating Points stat, but if you look at the Top 10, there aren't any dud players in there.

Interesting stat - Melbourne have 3 players in the Top 10 and didn't make the 8. Port only have 1 Player in the Top 20 and finished top. That player is Ollie Wines at #14.

Crippa is #15.

This bloke's the least of our worries.

With surgery for Crippa, and hopefully Mrs Cripps being back in Melbourne and getting the help she needs, our number 9 will get back to his best next year.

The fact he was still able to produce the numbers he did whilst injured is a massive effort IMO.

On SM-G986B using BigFooty.com mobile app

I understand everyone's a little disappointed Crippa didn't play as well as he did last year, but let's try to keep things in perspective here.

Excluding Round 18 (because the data source I use hasn't been updated - and Crippa missed most of the second half against the Lions anyway), Cripps is:

#1 in the comp for Centre Clearances per game

View attachment 970104

He's #2 in Total Clearances and just outside the Top 10 for Stoppage Clearances - I wont bother putting up more Clearance graphs, you get the point.

#5 in the comp for Contested Possessions

View attachment 970105

He just misses out on making the Top 10 for Champion Data Rating Points, coming in 0.75 points behind Dangerfield, but still well clear of anyone else at Carlton.

View attachment 970113

I know people have their opinions on the Rating Points stat, but if you look at the Top 10, there aren't any dud players in there.

Interesting stat - Melbourne have 3 players in the Top 10 and didn't make the 8. Port only have 1 Player in the Top 20 and finished top. That player is Ollie Wines at #14.

Crippa is #15.

This bloke's the least of our worries.

Meaningless stats, poorly interpreted to produce more meaningless numbers - are we actually that SILLY, we are !!

Meaningless stats, poorly interpreted to produce more meaningless numbers - are we actually that SILLY, we are !!

I fail to see how being one of the game's elite clearance and contested possession players is meaningless. I'm not disputing that he wasn't as good as last year, but he didn't have a terrible year. He was almost unstoppable last year, that's a pretty tough standard to maintain.

I'd love to hear your qualitative analysis of his performance this season.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back