Teams Tennessee Titans - The Music City Oilers ™

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
How the Oilers left Houston and set the stage for the Texans

Decision to move to Nashville opened door for Texans, now in 15th season
By John McClain, Houston Chronicle

• 920x920.jpg
Barron Wortham and Reggie Lewis leave after the final Oilers game in the Astrodome, a loss to the Cincinnati Bengals. The Oilers moved to Nashville, Tenn., and eventually, a new stadium.

-------

The Texans are preparing to enter their 15th season, but they would have never existed if the Oilers and owner Bud Adams hadn't picked up and moved in 1997 after failing to get the city of Houston to build them a new stadium.

The tumultuous times led to Adams getting the new stadium he wanted in Nashville, Tenn., then one of the country's fastest-growing cities, and set the stage for Bob McNair to finally getting the NFL franchise he had coveted.

Adams' disenchantment with Houston began in 1994, the worst possible time. The Oilers fell from a 12-4 AFC Central champion in 1993 to 2-14 the next year, the biggest one-season plunge in NFL history.

It was the worst possible time for Adams to get political and business support for a new, multipurpose downtown stadium to replace the decrepit Astrodome.

Adams first became disillusioned with the Astrodome and his landlord, the parent company of the Astros, in 1993. As a member of the NFL's finance committee, he was privy to everything St. Louis was offering the Rams to relocate from Los Angeles.

Adams studied the sweetheart deal the Rams were offered and considered the sky-high rent he was paying for the Astrodome, which needed millions in renovation.

Adams wanted a deal similar to what the Rams received to start playing in St. Louis in 1995. He told his right-hand man, executive vice president Mike McClure, to get a better deal from the Astros. When the Astros refused, Adams told McClure to look around for a city willing to build him a new stadium.

Adams was told about Baltimore building a new stadium to replace the Colts. He didn't want to fly that far for home games. Then he was informed about Nashville, a city of 500,000 and a television market that ranked 33rd compared with Houston's 11th.

Nashville built a new downtown arena and pursued the New Jersey Devils of the NHL. The Devils got a new deal to stay at home.

Nashville mayor Phil Bredesen, a visionary who knew little about football, realized what a boon an NFL franchise would be to his city and state. He convinced Adams to sign an exclusive negotiating agreement. If Nashville gave Adams everything he wanted before the agreement expired, the Oilers would relocate.

At that point, Houston's political and business leaders turned on Adams, who was an unpopular owner to begin with. In 1987, he had threatened to move to Jacksonville, Fla., unless the Astrodome was expanded. The county approved the expansion of 7,500 seats.

Houston's late mayor, Bob Lanier, knew the only way he wouldn't win a final term in a landslide was to join Adams' efforts to get public money. He led the anti-Adams brigade whose numbers grew by the day.

Local media, ignited by the Chronicle and Post, blasted Adams and urged Lanier not to give in. There was never a referendum to see what the public wanted.

"You've got warring parties on all sides," McClure said. "Powerful egos are at play. To sum it up, it's a big mess."

The city and county's basic message to Adams, who offered to contribute $85 million if the public would provide the rest for a $280 million stadium: "Don't let the door hit your backside on your way out of town."

Many thought Adams would never leave. The Oilers' lease didn't expire until after the 1997 season.

While Adams waited, Bredensen was proactive and had to convince Davidson County voters to approve $80 million in bonds to get the football rolling on a new $292 million downtown stadium as well as a practice facility and relocation fees. The referendum passed 59 to 41 percent.

"People who never voted for anything came out to vote for this," said Dave Cooley, who organized the "Yes for Nashville" campaign.

At that point, Houston officials began to realize they were going to lose the Oilers.

"This was really the last frontier on our expansion list," Adams said.

NFL owners still had to vote. Commissioner Paul Tagliabue tried to convince Adams to remain in Houston, but it was too late. The owners approved the move 23-6-1.

"This is an historic move for all of us," Tagliabue said. "We're the first major sports franchise in Tennessee."

Voting against the move were Buffalo, Cincinnati, Minnesota, the New York Giants, Pittsburgh and Washington. Oakland abstained.

"The academic analysts who point out you can't justify a new stadium in economic terms, well, they're right," Bredensen said. "But there are so many intangible reasons, and in our case, we were also able to totally renovate an eyesore on the other side of the river (for the new stadium).

"Nashville will now be known more broadly now. We have been well-known for a city of our size because of our music, but this was a chance to round out that image."

There was a well-publicized rally downtown to save the Oilers. It was poorly promoted by fans, and only a handful showed up. The media used it as an example of how few still cared about the Oilers.

Despite the circumstances, the Oilers still had to play in Houston because of their lease. Jeff Fisher, who was named interim coach in 1994, coached two full seasons in Houston.

Adams bought out the last year of his rent. In 1996, their last season at the Dome, the Oilers played before small crowds but finished 8-8, including 6-2 on the road.

In June of 1997, the Oilers made the move. In their first season in Nashville, they played home games at the Liberty Bowl in Memphis. In 1998, they played home games at Vanderbilt Stadium before moving into their current home in 1999, the year they were renamed the Titans and the season they went to the franchise's only Super Bowl.

"It was never my intention to leave," said Adams, who passed away in 2013. "I didn't want to pull up anchor, but I couldn't remain competitive while leasing from a baseball owner (Drayton McLane Jr.).

"Nobody listened to me. How soon people forget. Now the city and county are looking into building facilities for all three sports."

After the Oilers left, the Astros (Minute Maid Park) and Rockets (Toyota Center) got new homes downtown. When McNair was awarded his expansion franchise for Houston, Reliant Stadium was built for the Texans.

All owe a debt to Adams.

After the Oilers left, Houston waited eight years for the NFL to return in 2002 when the Texans beat Dallas in a prime-time game signaling pro football was back in H-Town.

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
Just pasting this to bump this god-forsaken team thread :(

==================

Cameron Wake thinks Titans are a “match made in heaven”

Posted by Darin Gantt on March 18, 2019, 6:29 AM EDT

834214060-e1503483388822.jpg

Getty Images

Since having to fight his way from the CFL to NFL stardom, Cameron Wake is used to being doubted. And being considered too old.

Now that the 37-year-old pass-rusher has landed in Tennessee, he’s determined to maintain the productivity he showed for so long with the Dolphins.

I’ve been old since I was 28,” Wake said, via Jim Wyatt of the team’s official website. “Every year I am too old. Anything that’s happened, I’ve been injured, and it’s like “It’s over. He’s done. If I had nickel for every time I’d probably go buy a team.

“It is not necessarily proving people wrong. I do what I do for people who believe. I don’t do it for the doubters, I do it for the people who believe in me. . . . I guess that chip has carried me — nobody wanted me back then, and you have to hit the reset button and go back at it and continue to be myself and that’s gotten me where I am. And it’s not going to change either.”

Wake joked that his long struggle made it a fit, since the Titans and Dolphins survived a couple of lightning delays to play the longest game in NFL history. But he emphasized he sees the Titans as a fit.

“It’s a tough, smart, disciplined team, and I think it fits right in with some of the things I like to think of that I bring to the table,” he said. “It seems like a match made in heaven for me.”

As recently as 2017, Wake was a double-digit sack player, and the last of his five Pro Bowls and four All-Pro honors was in 2016. He was more of a situational player last year for the Dolphins, but the Titans think he’s a good fit with a young group of pass-rushers. But being old, as Wake noted, is nothing new for him.

They need to bring back Jeff Fisher to create some buzz and controversy GG.exe

Take a leaf out of Mark Davis' book.

Last edited:
Just posting this to bump this god-forsaken team thread ;)

Derrick Henry TD pass.gif

Sport offers fantastic imagery. Mariota's like "guys guys I'm still on this team" and Henry's like "I am da captain now".

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
Titans selected Georgia RT Isaiah Wilson with the No. 29 overall pick in the 2020 NFL Draft.
Wilson (6’6/350), a two-year starter at right tackle for the Bulldogs, actually joined the team in 2017 but required a redshirt year to adjust his conditioning to Georgia's sweltering heat. He bounced back with second-team AP All-American honors as a sophomore, particularly standing out in pass-pro with an immovable (and massive) upright frame. He'll require further coaching with his technique against double-moves at the next level, but he has the traits and short-area quickness to work with. Organizations will also undoubtedly give him a pass elsewhere for his nastiness and desire to maul in any running scheme. A shade over 21 on draft night, Wilson offers quality starter upside with room (and time) for development. He will replace the void Jack Conklin left at right tackle immediately

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
Titans announced Adolpho Birch III as Senior VP of Business Affairs and Chief Legal Officer.
A Nashville native, Birch previously spent the last 24 years working in the league office in various roles including his most recent title, Senior Vice President of Labor Policy & League Affairs. He was a key figure in matters surrounding the personal conduct policy, drug policy, labor negotiations, and employee development. The organization also announced Surf Melendez as Creative Director and Den Werly as General Counsel.
SOURCE: Tennessee Titan

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
Ryan Tannehill said Derrick Henry is "catching the ball more confidently."
It's the last piece of the puzzle for Henry who has been held to 18 or fewer receptions in all four seasons in the NFL. With the Titans handing Henry a four-year, $50 million contract this offseason, they'd be wise to move a few of his carries into targets if only to keep the offense a tad more balanced when he's on the field. Defensive backs certainly aren't looking forward to any one-on-one situations with Henry in the flats on a screen. Henry isn't likely to repeat his 303-1,540-16 rushing line from last year, but he can still return rock-solid RB1 value even with moderate negative regression, particularly so if he's more involved as a receiver. Henry is being drafted anywhere from fifth to ninth overall in all fantasy formats.
SOURCE: Michael Giardi on Twitter
Aug 25, 2020, 5:53 PM ET

Feb 21, 2006
Muckertal
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Turtles, NYJets, Celtics, Tottenham
Still keeping an eye on these Titans - there's a few teams I like to watch and support especially since the Jets are STILL hot garbage as I posted here back in 2017. Hope Tannehill keeps up his form from last season, didn't see much of this week's game but seemed a little shaky in week 1. Hope they can take out the AFC South this year

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
Still keeping an eye on these Titans - there's a few teams I like to watch and support especially since the Jets are STILL hot garbage as I posted here back in 2017. Hope Tannehill keeps up his form from last season, didn't see much of this week's game but seemed a little shaky in week 1. Hope they can take out the AFC South this year
a switch to the titans on the cards hey? i like your style

Feb 21, 2006
Muckertal
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams

I don't know why but I'm wedded to the Jets, for better or worse til death do us part. Something in my psyche won't allow me to experience success vicariously through my sports teams.

I enjoy watching the Titans though, I think I'll "follow" them along with the Cards and Panthers (who I know aren't much chop bit I am drawn to them as my junior footy team was the Panthers)

Jets still my first team though, I have an emotional attachment to them that I can't explain

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
I don't know why but I'm wedded to the Jets, for better or worse til death do us part. Something in my psyche won't allow me to experience success vicariously through my sports teams.

I enjoy watching the Titans though, I think I'll "follow" them along with the Cards and Panthers (who I know aren't much chop bit I am drawn to them as my junior footy team was the Panthers)

Jets still my first team though, I have an emotional attachment to them that I can't explain
theres a very very fine line between the shameless whore that is me and the disenfranchised but loyal you.

Feb 21, 2006
Muckertal
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Was looking shaky there for a while, Vikings seemed to have the Titans number even though they've been horrible this year as well. Came back and won in the end but it was less than convincing. Have the Titans got all they can out of Tannehill? Who is the Titans backup QB? I wonder if they'd be interested in taking on Darnold and sitting him behind Tannehill for a while to try and resurrect his career.

Feb 21, 2006
Muckertal
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Well it seems my sports jinx has extended to a coronavirus outbreak at Titans HQ. Sorry bout that Tennessee.

Maybe if I start following the Pats they'll actually have a losing season one day but I know the football Gods wouldn't believe it was genuine and so would probably punish me further by having them pick up Darnold for nothing after we turf him and creating another dynasty.

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports the Titans may face discipline relating to their use of tracking devices and reporting of symptoms.
Kinexon tracking devices are mandatory in all team facilities as is timely reporting of any symptoms. If the Titans skirted these rules in any way, the NFL is likely to come down hard on them. Commissioner Roger Goodell will levy fines and could even take away draft picks from Tennessee if they were extremely lax with the new protocols. The NFL has already fined coaches $1.5 million for improper mask usage during games.
SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter
Oct 4, 2020, 9:42 AM ET

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
The Titans franchise will officially remain in the Adams family after Amy Adams Strunk gained a 50 percent share by purchasing her sister Susie Adams Smith's share.
Adams Strunk had controlled just 33 percent of the team, leaving Tennessee in violation of NFL bylaws that require at least one majority owner with a 50 percent share. Adams Strunk will now own 50 percent with the other 50 owned by various family members. “With this transaction, we are pleased to ensure that the legacy started by my father will continue in our family," Adams Strunk said in a statement. "We are thrilled to make this commitment and will continue to invest in our team’s future growth and success. Our belief in what lies ahead for this team is unwavering and we are eager to see it unfold.”
SOURCE: Associated Press
Dec 12, 2020, 4:56 PM ET

Jul 14, 2014
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool // Ferrari
Lmao I have just jumped on the Titans. Wanted to follow the Jets but I just couldn’t do it. My partner loves Tennessee so it seemed the natural choice.

Lmao I have just jumped on the Titans. Wanted to follow the Jets but I just couldn’t do it. My partner loves Tennessee so it seemed the natural choice.

Smart man. 🎓

This board needs more titans fans, been saying it for a while, they are a fun team to watch.

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
A.J. Brown said he had surgery on both of his knees.
Brown claims that they believed his 2020 season was done after a Week 2 knee injury, but he managed to play through the pain. That makes his 70-1,075-11 receiving line across 14 games even more impressive. Brown simply is one of the best and most physical athletes at the position. It's unclear what surgeries he had -- his Week 2 injury was reportedly a bone bruise -- but he has months to get back to full health before training camp. With Corey Davis and Jonnu Smith headed for free agency, Brown will be in the WR1 conversation for 2021 fantasy drafts. He'll be 24 years old then.
SOURCE: Terry McCormick on Twitter
Jan 19, 2021, 6:34 PM ET

Back