• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 21, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
49ers, AFC Wimbledon, Utah Jazz
Sooooo... everyone is melting based on a Roochi rumour...about Olsen being asked to be chairman. We have NO IDEA if he has indeed been asked or, if he has, indeed, accepted. Never change BigFooty, never change.

The problem is that this screams something that the AFC would do, that's why we're all concerned about this being a fait accompli .

Vhaluus

Cancelled
10k Posts
May 13, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
How is the board impacting on the ability of Nicks and Kelly to bring in quality assistants like Burns and potentially Balme? Outside of Roo I don’t see what impact the board have on the actual day to day running of the footy program. It didn’t impact our ability to make a GF in 2017 despite still having Chapman in charge.

All I care about is results on field and I think Nicks and Kelly are making positive steps in that area.

Because the board is required to sign off on any high level appointment like that?

Also can we stop with the 'but but 2017 grand final'

The same guys that bought us to the 2017 grand final were the ones who bought us to the depths we've reached this year. There was NO significant changes in staff between 2017 and 2019.

It took fans demanding an external review until the club couldn't ignore it any longer and then that review to be completed before the club finally started making steps in the right direction.

Yet you question how much damage the board can do?

The problem is that this screams something that the AFC would do, that's why we're all concerned about this being a fait accompli .
One word: Roochi. Let it play out before you melt.

(and yeah I get where you are coming from, but so much negativity before it’s actually needed probably not good for the health! 😜)

May 29, 2011
SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt
How is the board impacting on the ability of Nicks and Kelly to bring in quality assistants like Burns and potentially Balme? Outside of Roo I don’t see what impact the board have on the actual day to day running of the footy program. It didn’t impact our ability to make a GF in 2017 despite still having Chapman in charge.

All I care about is results on field and I think Nicks and Kelly are making positive steps in that area.
We've seen exactly how weak leadership can effect a footy dept. over the last 3 years. So far all Nicks has under his belt is a wooden spoon and it's too early to make a call on Burns. Where did the Hawks finish this year? They were so s**t even we were able to beat them. Balme is just a rumour at this point as well.

Don't get me wrong, my gut feel is that our new footy dept. will be a big improvement over the old one but it's way too early to make that call. We're going to need everything to go right for us to get out of the rut we're in and hiring some corrupt old liberal stooge is not my idea of an ideal candidate to lead the club.

bomo

Rookie
Jul 5, 2011
AFL Club
Adelaide
Chapman was in a show with Whateley a week or so and mentioned he was discussing his role with the person who was taking over.

Suggests they are some way down the path with someone.

ContrarianCrow

All Australian
Aug 31, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
Sincerely hope this isn’t true... the least popular premier of the last 30 years that embodies everything about the good ol’ boy Adelaide clique.

Apr 1, 2011
Radelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
NAFC
Chapman: “The greatest legacy you can leave is putting someone in your chair who is better than you. Of this, I am 100 per cent comfortable.”

Two things:

1. That's the greatest legacy you can leave? Not a club in a strong position, huge onfield and/or off-field success, a culture that is the envy of every other club... but simply being replaced by someone better?

2. Someone better than you would be almost anyone at this stage.

Mego Red

The Artist Formerly Known As Kristof
10k Posts
Oct 3, 2003
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Soft spot for Brisbane
The last thing I'd want is a Liberal Party stooge ... BUT ... I have an open mind to someone from whatever background brings with it access to cheque books and politicians.

I just don't think that's a 75 year old Olsen.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

May 16, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
WWTFC,Chelsea,Glasgow Celtic,Lech Poznan
The unofficial market

3/1 John Olsen

5/1 Linda Fellows, Kate Ellis

7/1 Christopher Pyne, Warren Randall, Peter Hurley, Jamie McPhee

10/1 Mark Ricciuto

17/1 Darren Thomas, Wayne Jackson, Nick Chigwidden

20/1 David Pittman, Grant Kelley, Peter Carey

50/1 Nick Minchin, Graham Cornes

100/1 Steven Trigg, Alexander Downer, Gail Kelly, Jacqui McGill.

1000/1 Tony Modra, Chris McDermott, Andrew Jarman, Stephen Rowe, Jim McDowell

Oct 20, 2015
In a Galaxy Far, Far Away
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool
A disgusting option, he just doesn't bring any excitement or reason to be optimistic at all. Dislike him from his political career, and I usually vote liberal. Don't think whatever side of politics people are from matters in this instance, but Olsen comes with baggage and a history of bad ideas that the AFC just cannot afford. Plus his history with the SANFL and the SMA makes it even worse.... only rivals to the SACA for poor management.

There is a clear difference now between decisions getting made by the footy dept and board. On a positive note, the footy dept is starting to make some really good moves. The board unfortunately continues to be effectively useless and actually hindering our progress. We'd be better off without them completely.

Oct 20, 2015
In a Galaxy Far, Far Away
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool
The unofficial market

3/1 John Olsen

10/1 Mark Ricciuto

You know it's bad when of those options, Stephen Rowe is better than the favourite

Aug 9, 2019
Victorian Central Highlands
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Panthers, GWV Rebels, Central Augusta
A disgusting option, he just doesn't bring any excitement or reason to be optimistic at all. Dislike him from his political career, and I usually vote liberal. Don't think whatever side of politics people are from matters in this instance, but Olsen comes with baggage and a history of bad ideas that the AFC just cannot afford. Plus his history with the SANFL and the SMA makes it even worse.... only rivals to the SACA for poor management.

There is a clear difference now between decisions getting made by the footy dept and board. On a positive note, the footy dept is starting to make some really good moves. The board unfortunately continues to be effectively useless and actually hindering our progress. We'd be better off without them completely.
Only one that would be be on a par is Mike Rann

Jun 30, 2014
The Winchester
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur, East Side Hawks
The unofficial market

3/1 John Olsen

10/1 Mark Ricciuto

Pineapple on Minchin k thnx

Murray2503

Cancelled
10k Posts
May 10, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
Olsen. No thanks. Surely taking the piss. Don't really like any of the candidates. Wayne Jackson always seemed pretty switched on. Don't know if he would do it after being a previous CEO of the AFL.

Last edited:

Thetrader15

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 16, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
So after all the good news this week regarding coaching department change they decide to trot this out on a Friday ....

Olsen is NOT what we need.

No. Just. NO!!
That's why it's coming out on a Friday.

Good new Monday morning

Bad news Friday afternoon, then leave the office early.

Back