Opinion Nathan Van Berlo: Midfield Coach

Remove this Banner Ad

May 17, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Glenelg

Van Berlo, West Coast's current midfield coach, has agreed to join the Crows' revamped coaching panel for next season in a major boost for the club's rebuild.

He will continue to coach out the season with the Eagles before returning to South Australia ahead of 2021.

Adelaide identified Van Berlo as a key target for its coaches box alongside Matthew Nicks entering his second season and have successfully pulled off their second coaching coup.

Last edited by a moderator:

Interesting to know that he wasn't sole midfield coach in West Coast's 2018 flag team. He worked with Sam Mitchell that year in the midfield

Only been sole midfield coach for 2019 and 2020
Don't mind that though, Mitchell is an incredibly smart football brain.

Don't mind that though, Mitchell is an incredibly smart football brain.

Well it throws into question his credentials a bit. West Coast's midfield hasn't been as good in 2019 and 2020 with VB the sole coach as it was in 2018

Don't think this is bad, only reason it feels this way is the boys club flavor but maybe we need to move past this.

VB had elite standards with off field habits and fitness training and if 10% of this rubs off our young midfielders and draftees then this is a good selection.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We are definitely not wasting any time. our irons must have been in the fire for a while. Interesting they have announced this whilst WC are still in the finals.
It wasn't a secret. Bernie Vince knew, he was giving Roo s**t on radio with a "I heard Nathan Van Berlo might be coming back..." line and gave a "Oh sure" reply when Roo said they were still finalising everything.

Anyway I'm not sold on him. Don't think he's spent enough time away from our system and the fact he's played in the same team as some of our current players is worrisome
Some, but increasingly few.

Some, but increasingly few.

I'm less concerned about that and more that he's spent 12 of his 15 years in the AFL system at the Crows, and only 3 at West Coast. He's spent twice as much time learning from Neil Craig as a player than West Coast as a coach

Remove this Banner Ad

Back