Opinion Nathan Van Berlo: Midfield Coach

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm less concerned about that and more that he's spent 12 of his 15 years in the AFL system at the Crows, and only 3 at West Coast. He's spent twice as much time learning from Neil Craig as a player than West Coast as a coach
Our midfield ticked over pretty well in those years.

I think he'll do a good job, and he will certainly demand respect from the playing group.

I'm very keen to see who the forwards coach will be, and if they are still involved in the finals.

I’m happy with this. Gets a bad wrap due to his awful last couple of years as a player, but we’ll know he’ll demand elite standards. Has worked with a very successful midfield group over the past few years, he’s even won a premiership as an assistant

Good get. Probably getting Brad Miller as forwards coach now, I’m guessing

Our midfield ticked over pretty well in those years.

I think he'll do a good job, and he will certainly demand respect from the playing group.

I'm very keen to see who the forwards coach will be, and if they are still involved in the finals.

We'll see.

Our midfield is not West Coast's midfield. It's younger and requires a significant retooling. I don't think he's a terrible appointment as far as 'boys club' goes but I'd have rather a more experienced coach deal with our young group

The knockers will come (hell, they're already coming), but VB is a very smart guy, and I think this is a solid appointment.
Agreed

I've knocked the club plenty but VB was always a coach in waiting and has done well since leaving.

It's not the same as us appointing Reilly who'd done nothing.

I know we haven’t had much luck appointing former players into these roles, but I think we Atleast have to give VB a chance. He’s completed his apprenticeship in a decent football environment, and we all know his elite standards. I think he can do well for us.

Welcome back VB. :thumbsu:

He's spent twice as much time learning from Neil Craig as a player than West Coast as a coach

There’s a lot worse guys to learn from than Neil Craig. A very good coach was Craig. Not many coaches I can think of that got closer to a premiership with a forward line as average as ours was during his tenure.

It wasn't a secret. Bernie Vince knew, he was giving Roo sh*t on radio with a "I heard Nathan Van Berlo might be coming back..." line and gave a "Oh sure" reply when Roo said they were still finalising everything.
I think what I’m really surprised is that we are being pro-active, this is not our modus operandi. Pro-active to ensure Nicks gets the team he wants, pro-active to get our coaching team in place before trade and draft period. Pro-active and Crows together....oxymoron If ever there was one.

Don't mind VB. Would have learnt quite a bit under Simmo and Mitchell. Hopefully can get their fitness better as well.

Anyway I'm not sold on him. Don't think he's spent enough time away from our system and the fact he's played in the same team as some of our current players is worrisome

"Not sold on him"? How could you form an opinion yet?

You do realise we can't have 4 senior assistants leading our lines?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I mean.

Good.
West Coast. They're ok I suppose.

Bad.
Shuey, NicNat, Gaff, Yeo, Sheed etc pretty much coach themselves.
Boys club.

People say this but it isn't true.

GWS have a great bunch of mids and their midfield was spanked all year.

Also people say "go away from the club, learn a successful system and then come back"...and when it happens they way they ask..."s**t appointment, boys club"

"Not sold on him"? How could you form an opinion yet?

You do realise we can't have 4 senior assistants leading our lines?

True, but it'd be nice if we considered other coaches that had spent more than 3 years out of our system.

I'm not sold on bringing in a coach with limited experience for a crucial role. He's basically the most important assistant in our structure

True, but it'd be nice if we considered other coaches that had spent more than 3 years out of our system.

I'm not sold on bringing in a coach with limited experience for a crucial role
You know we didn't?
And that they might have said not interested?

Well I think it an absolutely brilliant appointment, one of the smartest blokes to ever pull on an Adelaide guernsey and a player that never took a backward step on field.

If there is someone...besides Hayes, that I would feel confident to get the best out of Chayce Jones, it is VB. No way VB is going to accept the "lost on the field crap that Chayce dished up in a few games

I think this is just an ok appointment. I think he's an upgrade on what we had and wouldn't be too expensive.

Hopefully it means we have plenty of cash leftover for decent forward and development coaches.

I think this is just an ok appointment. I think he's an upgrade on what we had and wouldn't be too expensive.

Hopefully it means we have plenty of cash leftover for decent forward and development coaches.
Forward line is crucial given almost every player there will be inexperienced and badly in need of development

Agreed

I've knocked the club plenty but VB was always a coach in waiting and has done well since leaving.

It's not the same as us appointing Reilly who'd done nothing.
Have you seen the list of West Coast Asst Coaches ......hardly the who's who of footy assistants

It's easy to label this as a boy's club appointment, but he was part of a premiership winning team and actually seems competent as his job. It's only boys club if they're hired on nepotism over ability. VB is more the latter. I don't mind this appointment at all.

I'm not sold on bringing in a coach with limited experience for a crucial role. He's basically the most important assistant in our structure

You're making a lot of assumptions! I don't disagree that we haven't built enough trust to be confident, but I would've thought that's pretty obvious.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back