Opinion Nathan Van Berlo: Midfield Coach

Remove this Banner Ad

Don't seem to recall too many on here screaming about it at the time...hindsight is a wonderful thing..
The contracts going sour was by no means inevitable and that’s not even the main point. The fact is that the intertwining of relationships - football and business - between players and club officials created a conflict of interest then which remains there now...that’s not hindsight.

Good organisations avoid such conflicts and this was easily avoidable...if Chapman should have brought one thing from his business career it was good governance.

Concerning that 3 years is not enough to de-Craig the official AFC selection policy out of him.

Lets face it, the biggest concern with our coaching panel is they always prefer out of form senior players rather than infrom youngsters, hence why we are in this predicament.

Have we turned the corner with Nicks, Burns and now VB?

Bloody hope so but getting one of Craigs disciples worrries me.

But he was certainly a professional, elite athlete so that should help our fitness levels.

It just feels to soon. VB is a club champion and has had experience elsewhere.

But it feels like he needed another 2 or 3 years away from the club to remove that 'boys club feel.

5 or 6 years, he'd be applying for senior coach positions...and god help him if he applied for ours because we'd feel he'd need the full decade away from the club to come back as a senior coach.

Used to speak wtih him when I used to work at coles and he'd come in, was the aboslute best bloke, would hang around and give me his time when he finished shopping. Do wonder how tactically sound he is though, hopefully learnt a few things off Mitchell.

Again though, would rather we not employ former players. North Melbourne is pretty much all Ex North players and look at them.

I was on the fence about VB, but after hearing about him being a top bloke as a Coles customer, I can't denigrate his credentials any further. VB it is!

The contracts going sour was by no means inevitable and that’s not even the main point. The fact is that the intertwining of relationships - football and business - between players and club officials created a conflict of interest then which remains there now...that’s not hindsight.

Good organisations avoid such conflicts and this was easily avoidable...if Chapman should have brought one thing from his business career it was good governance.

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Like, you're right, you really are but....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wait, what? That's the depth of your knowledge?
No need for insults. Maybe I got it wrong. You said:
I'm 50:50, will understand both points of view. He's done something outside the club, but they're not exactly world beaters the last couple of years. He's a definite improvement on what we had, so that's a plus. But I would like to put Neil Craig completely behind us. That said, he'll be the only Neil influence, so I'm not too worried about him being the one. And if it keeps Thommo away from the club, all the better.
I took the 'he' to be VB and the 'they' to mean WCE. WCE won the Flag in 2018 (ie AFL-world-beaters 2018) and are consistent finalists.
I wasn't being aggro, or insulting, just wondered what you meant.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back