Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Dec 22, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
CDFC
Sam Mitchell returns from WC to Hawthorn, supporters embrace it and welcome him back

VB returns from WC to Adelaide, supporters go straight into negative mode.

As supporters we know them as players but we dont know them as coaches it is here it is almost impossible to assess the impact of an asst coach unless your in the inner sanctum

Im ok in principle with the appointment of VB and lets see what he brings

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Sep 19, 2007
The Pub
AFL Club
Adelaide
At the end of the day, with cuts to soft cap and Covid issues, we were never going to be able to pack our panel with high profile, expensive assistants. We were going to have to have a couple of “value” types. There’s also the issue of attracting assistants from interstate, classically been quite tough, especially without massive salary or a coach with significant draw factor.

My concern was that this would mean Hart would get a reprieve (where else will you find an assistant with >10 years experience for base wage...?).

I’m okay with VB as long as the other ?2 coaching panel appointments spoken about bring further variety and experience.

crow2crow

Trapped in Victoria
Sep 13, 2020
AFL Club
Adelaide
At the end of the day, with cuts to soft cap and Covid issues, we were never going to be able to pack our panel with high profile, expensive assistants. We were going to have to have a couple of “value” types. There’s also the issue of attracting assistants from interstate, classically been quite tough, especially without massive salary or a coach with significant draw factor.

My concern was that this would mean Hart would get a reprieve (where else will you find an assistant with >10 years experience for base wage...?).

I’m okay with VB as long as the other ?2 coaching panel appointments spoken about bring further variety and experience.
true we don’t know
VB might actually be mids coach, head of high performance and fitness guru all rolled into one - haha
they can then flick hass, kangatech, and few others and then afford balme in a role that doesn’t exist today all while shaving 3M off the soft cap

i love how they are using covid as an excuse to get rid of all the dead wood just like in the real world.... fear of HR lawyers

Sep 19, 2007
The Pub
AFL Club
Adelaide
Sam Mitchell returns from WC to Hawthorn, supporters embrace it and welcome him back

VB returns from WC to Adelaide, supporters go straight into negative mode.

As supporters we know them as players but we dont know them as coaches it is here it is almost impossible to assess the impact of an asst coach unless your in the inner sanctum

Im ok in principle with the appointment of VB and lets see what he brings

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app

I think our clubs history in the past 10-12 years of giving almost any ex-player seeking a job an assistants or development role is the issue. Hawthorn have had their pick of assistants and haven’t become a relative retirement home for ex-players.

Pilchard_Adams

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 11, 2009
AFL Club
Adelaide
Dont get this whole per-requisite some have about a person needing x amount of time away from the club. I was one of VBs biggest knockers as a player, but he is certainly a smart bloke. "Only" 3 years away? Jeez, you can learn a language in a year. You can have a university degree in 4.

Give the guy a chance.

crow2crow

Trapped in Victoria
Sep 13, 2020
AFL Club
Adelaide
Dont get this whole per-requisite some have about a person needing x amount of time away from the club. I was one of VBs biggest knockers as a player, but he is certainly a smart bloke. "Only" 3 years away? Jeez, you can learn a language in a year. You can have a university degree in 4.

Give the guy a chance.
you can get a university degree on the internet in 10 minutes 🤣🤣🤣 from some countries
yes great point

hey shorty

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt

Given the way Nicks is talking, it's a prerequisite of his panel to have outside IP. I would expect the forwardline coach to be from outside the club.

Not sure how many more appointments we'll make coaching wise, I suspect it'll be 1 or 2 tops and go with the traditional setup. Other areas of our footy department need beefing up too.

crow2crow

Trapped in Victoria
Sep 13, 2020
AFL Club
Adelaide
Given the way Nicks is talking, it's a prerequisite of his panel to have outside IP. I would expect the forwardline coach to be from outside the club.

Not sure how many more appointments we'll make coaching wise, I suspect it'll be 1 or 2 tops and go with the traditional setup. Other areas of our footy department need beefing up too.
all other leaks have come true
i think you can expect balme and bassett to arrive

there’s going to be a lot of IP, experience and more than anything IQ next year probably better than anything we’ve had since the blight era. nicks doesn’t look like a dictator more of a team guy so this should work well.

getting the fitness team right is now my biggest concern even more than the players

Pilchard_Adams

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 11, 2009
AFL Club
Adelaide
you can get a university degree on the internet in 10 minutes 🤣🤣🤣 from some countries
yes great point

haha true.
A lot of 4 year degrees are full of so much filler crap that isnt needed.

$500 bucks in the markets in bangkok and they can print you a degree for whatever you want haha

mistylake

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 21, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Canadiens, Maroons.
Anyway I'm not sold on him. Don't think he's spent enough time away from our system and the fact he's played in the same team as some of our current players is worrisome
Hopefully most of them current players gone in the next few years. With young guns pushing the others out or to perform.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mar 21, 2016
Down South Corvus Tristis
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, White Sox
And have just been handed the biggest fine in Australian history
Pocket change from their profits - the risk of doing business and will be passed onto the ''customers''

Where have we heard that word before

mistylake

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 21, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Canadiens, Maroons.
There’s a lot worse guys to learn from than Neil Craig. A very good coach was Craig. Not many coaches I can think of that got closer to a premiership with a forward line as average as ours was during his tenure.
There’s a difference between failing with a team of gun players “GWS”, versus squeezing the best out of a bunch of OK players with a few a graders, “Craig, Pyke”. It would be nice to combine both.

Honestly, my biggest concern is for van Berlo. He's got a promising career and is capable of getting gigs at top clubs.

He's risking a bit by voluntarily re-entering our dumpster fire. Guess he really loves the club.

crow2crow

Trapped in Victoria
Sep 13, 2020
AFL Club
Adelaide
Honestly, my biggest concern is for van Berlo. He's got a promising career and is capable of getting gigs at top clubs.

He's risking a bit by voluntarily re-entering our dumpster fire. Guess he really loves the club.
my assumption is he knew already he was being flicked by WC at year end with the cuts. otherwise why would he leave home and WC?

May 10, 2009
Adelaide Oval
AFL Club
Adelaide
so would I but this is the minimum I want to see if he can’t get the ball

remember before the draft it said tackling machine. where is it?
His tackling was fine for someone in his first few games, had a couple of games over 5. His ability to get enough clean ball is the major part of his game that requires continued development.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back