List Mgmt. 2020 Trade and List Management Thread II

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
In my opinion Cunnington is tradeable for the same reasons as Brown and if I had a preference I'd be keeping Higgins, Goldstein and Tarrant ahead of him.

I don't trust his body or ability to play into his 30s at all and his quiet nature means that he doesn't offer as much leadership or experience, I'm not sure some of the boys would even notice if he was traded. If we need a hard body to protect the kids then we already have Jed Anderson and potentially Jack Ziebell.

W.T.F? He is quiet so he doesn't provide any leadership? Wouldn't notice is he was traded?! Gee wiz, BF is crazy at the moment. No disrespect to you, but this takes the cake! Maybe my sarcasm radar is off?

I think you raise some valid points but my main argument against trading cunners is that he is a natural footballer and that midfield needs him. I can still see him playing out 3 more productive years because he has never relied on athletic ability to play the game.
Or alternatively, if his athletic ability slips a touch as he gets into his 30s, does his deficiencies become too much to overcome?

I don't trust his body or ability to play into his 30s at all and his quiet nature means that he doesn't offer as much leadership or experience, I'm not sure some of the boys would even notice if he was traded. If we need a hard body to protect the kids then we already have Jed Anderson and potentially Jack Ziebell.

I'd guarantee some of the key planks of our younger midfield would absolutely miss him if he was traded.

As to leadeship on field, comparing actions I'd take a Cunnington fend off and hand ball over a Jack Ziebell shot at goal just about any day.

Teams would know that Cunners' back is a question mark. He's 30, and carried a midfield for nearly a decade.

They're not giving us a decent pick worthy of ripping a foundation piece away.
At what price would you think twice? Hypothetically?

W.T.F? He is quiet so he doesn't provide any leadership? Wouldn't notice is he was traded?! Gee wiz, BF is crazy at the moment. No disrespect to you, but this takes the cake! Maybe my sarcasm radar is off?

D91EC893-1F57-4F59-9EEB-5DAC522EF0E9.gif

I'd guarantee some of the key planks of our younger midfield would absolutely miss him if he was traded.

As to leadeship on field, comparing actions I'd take a Cunnington fend off and hand ball over a Jack Ziebell shot at goal just about any day.

The other thing with Jack is as much as he has been great for our club and a good leader for the boys, he is absolutely no guarantee to be in our best 22 next year. I fear the end is rapidly accelerating at Jack and it wouldn't surprise me if he announced his retirement before the end of next season.

Assuming Cunners back heals and there are no lingering effects, he could absolutely still be a beast in 2023/24 when we should be planning to to have a real crack at a flag.

If Cunners back is truly cooked and he knows it, he'll just retire to the farm.

He wouldn't bother moving clubs for a couple of years and a bit of extra pocket money.

That's just not his nature.

The other thing with Jack is as much as he has been great for our club and a good leader for the boys, he is absolutely no guarantee to be in our best 22 next year. I fear the end is rapidly accelerating at Jack and it wouldn't surprise me if he announced his retirement before the end of next season.

Assuming Cunners back heals and there are no lingering effects, he could absolutely still be a beast in 2023/24 when we should be planning to to have a real crack at a flag.

I don’t know much - even less on the back of this awful season and “merry go round” early off-season. However, I will state this very confidently - if Jack Ziebell is on our list (uninjured) and not part of our best 22 next season, then we will be in the mix for the finals.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I hope you're right. But he's played in the guts all his career. If we wanted to guarantee this, should have played him mid/fwd 4-5 years ago, like what Freo did.

This back injury is a really bad sign.

Why is Cunnington not tradeable?

Given his age, given the tough inside role he has played over a long time now, given his lack of aerobic ability and our serious need for pace, given the serious injury he is coming off, given his poor defensive prowess and accountability, given the midfield needs to rebuilt, you'd at least have to consider it.

For mine, Higgins, Tarrant, Brown and even Polec don't have this many question marks hanging over them.

I love Cunners, I was defending him on here when he was a teenager and everyone thought he was a wasted pick. But he is not untradeable.

Everyone thought he was a wasted pick? That is news to me.

He may be slow, but poor defensive prowess and accountability?

We have no young inside midfielders to push ahead of Cunners, and with so many of our mids being sub 80kg i think his physical presence is required. We just aren't going to get anything much for him. If he wants to leave, we would likely have to find some other fill-in.

If Cunners back is truly cooked and he knows it, he'll just retire to the farm.

He wouldn't bother moving clubs for a couple of years and a bit of extra pocket money.

That's just not his nature.

Would he walk away from $1.5 million? Hard to do.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don’t know much - even less on the back of this awful season and “merry go round” early off-season. However, I will state this very confidently - if Jack Ziebell is on our list (uninjured) and not part of our best 22 next season, then we will be in the mix for the finals.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Where does he play? Hasn't got the speed/tank to go through the middle anymore and as a forward this year he kicked 1 goal 7 with several more shots that didn't trouble the scorers. I hope you are right but I have real concerns.

The question for any trade is the pick we get for let’s say a Tarrant or Cunnington going to be worth more than the value they’ll add by developing Simpkin, LDU and McKay.
They'd be much better helping the kids but if the players WANT to go and have a chance at finals in their last years then I think the club will help them do it.

I wouldn't want to trade Cunners but I get the point - he's not some untouchable deity while the club cpuld handle Higgins, Tarrant, Goldy etc leaving.

Me I threw out an idea for buying draft picks with Cox as an example and these animals have run with it
Are you surprised to find that you have a few loony followers that misconstrued your original meaning and went off on a silly tangent?

They signed contracts, they agreed to the terms of the deal. They were well aware of what they were signing up for..
Well no they weren't aware of what they were signing up for. They specifically signed up for something else.

Tho fwiw I pretty much agree with you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back