Preview Changes vs ST KILDA. Elimination final preview (GABBA- Sat 3rd October). Happy now??

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
ELIMINATION FINAL TEAM

B:
Easton Wood, Alex Keath, Caleb Daniel
HB: Bailey Williams, Ryan Gardner, Hayden Crozier
C: Bailey Smith, Jack Macrae, Jason Johannisen
HF: Ed Richards, Josh Bruce, Mitch Wallis
F: Tom Liberatore, Aaron Naughton, Lachie Hunter
Foll: Tim English, Marcus Bontempelli, Josh Dunkley

Int: Zaine Cordy, Taylor Duryea, Pat Lipinski, Roarke Smith
Emer: Jackson Trengove, Ben Cavarra, Bailey Dale, Jordon Sweet

ELIMINATION FINAL TEAM

B:

Is that it? Or your choice?
I wish people would specify.

Always makes you wonder if a player is going to play in a final after a serious injury. If Naughton had a fractured cheekbone you'd think he wouldn't play again this year.

Was the injury as serious as originally reported ??

Are the selectors playing "ducks & drakes" with their Saints counterparts ??

Will Naughton wear a Ned Kelly helmet as protection ??

Whatever happens, your biggest threat won't be on the field, it'll be in the box, Ratten is the one to worry about.

Always makes you wonder if a player is going to play in a final after a serious injury. If Naughton had a fractured cheekbone you'd think he wouldn't play again this year.

Was the injury as serious as originally reported ??

Are the selectors playing "ducks & drakes" with their Saints counterparts ??

Will Naughton wear a Ned Kelly helmet as protection ??

Whatever happens, your biggest threat won't be on the field, it'll be in the box, Ratten is the one to worry about.

What a stupid post

....well, with the game a week away? :rolleyes:
I know but people post their teams even on the day and dopes like me think it’s been announced 😬😬
And then when the REAL team is announced people are still posting their own ideas 🥴

Although I must say, looking at yours, it seems quite reasonable 👍

ELIMINATION FINAL TEAM

B:

No change, I love it X 2
A week is a long time, too long can't wait
Go Dogs

Saints have had an impressive year and they have shown more than we have. I worry about Butler and Hill opening us up. They also have our number in the Ruck contest with both Ryder and Marshall. They are pretty solid on every line.

Our strength is our midfield and it runs far deeper than any other side in the competition. If the guys in the middle fire we get enough chances to win - it then depends on some of our forwards standing up on the day and converting those half chances.

On our day, we can counter their strengths but too often this year we've wasted opportunities and not converted leaving ourselves exposed to being over-run.
This is line ball for mine because they appear to be playing with more passion than us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There are some massive differences between the 2016 side and this side. Mainly in experience and leadership but a few other areas too.

In 2016 we had a side that at their best could beat any other side in it - including when they were playing at their best... GWS a perfect example of this.

This year, we are a few steps behind that - or the comp is a few steps ahead. At our best, I think there are still a few sides that are better than us if they play well. We still COULD beat them if they are off, but I'm not convinced we are good enough yet to do that to a side like Richmond.

I think a few here have been pretty harsh on us. We aren't to the level of Port, Geelong, Brisbane, Richmond and West Coast just yet. We could beat a few of them if they aren't at their best or missing a few, but not consistently or if we are a little off.

6-10th is a fair reflection of where the list is at - so 7th is fair. With some more experience I'd hope to be closer to a top 4 side in 2021.
Leading up to the first final against the Eagles in 2016 absolutely no one gave us a chance of winning. And that includes the most one-eyed Bulldogs supporters. The Eagles were the hottest team heading into the finals having beaten a number of top 8 sides at the tail end of the regular season.
I get where you’re coming from but don’t rewrite history to suit your argument. In 2016 you could have said we were a step below West Coast, Hawthorn and Geelong but the team had another gear that we hadn't seen.
They key question’s are “do we have that extra gear this year” and “are we primed for it right now“.
I see a lot of similarities between our personal then and now and think the massive gap in onfield leadership at the club is overblown. The main difference is Matty Boyd and Dale Morris... the inclusions of Keath and Duryea are fair replacements and I think Gardner is shaping up to be the ‘Fletcher Roberts’ of 2016.
The exciting difference is our tall forwards. They are the X-factor and could explode in the finals just like Picko and Clay in 2016. English could go to another level just like Roughead in 2016... what I’m getting at is we had no idea that the boys had that in them in 4 years ago... I’m feeling similar vibes right now

Last edited:
Leading up to the first final against the Eagles in 2016 absolutely no one gave us a chance of winning. And that includes the most one-eyed Bulldogs supporters. The Eagles were the hottest team heading into the finals having beaten a number of top 8 sides heading into the finals.
I get where you’re coming from but don’t rewrite history to suit your argument. In 2016 you could have said we were a step below West Coast, Hawthorn and Geelong but the team had another gear to go to in the finals and we all know what happened...
They key question’s are “do we have that extra gear this year” and “are we primed for it right now“.
I see a lot of similarities between our personal then and now and think the massive gap in onfield leadership at the club is overblown. The main difference is Matty Boyd and Dale Morris... the inclusions of Keath and Duryea are fair replacements and I think Gardner is shaping up to be the ‘Fletcher Roberts’ of 2016.
The exciting difference is our tall forwards. They are the X-factor and could explode in the finals just like Picko and Clay in 2016. English could go to another level just like Roughead in 2016... what I’m getting at is we had no idea that the boys had that in them in 4 years ago... I’m feeling similar vibes right now

You’re doing the same thing you’re accusing HBG of doing by understating how good we were in 2016.
I can’t speak for all dog fans but the ones I know were confident we could go all the way in 2016 after our EF loss to the Crows the year prior

Apart from a couple of poor games which still only resulted in small margined losses, we were one of the best performing teams all season with only one game being a blow out loss. Finishing with a 15-7 record.

The pessimism leading in to the WC final was purely because it was WC in Perth. Teams just don’t win their, especially us.
Apart from that, we were balls deep in that finals series and to suggest we played above our ability at the time is off the mark.

Last edited:
ELIMINATION FINAL TEAM

B:

Team looking good, but a fit Vandermeer would be the icing on the cake. The forward line seemed to function very well with him in the team.

Finals experience is not to be underrated. Our mids will have been suffering after 2019. A’s will the rest of the team. The great majority played against GWS last year. This is a very good thing indeed.

We had momentum in 2019 but we’d played some ordinary sides. This year has been a real test. Last year, the pre-finals rest knocked us off our stride & the fired up GWS put a stick in our spokes from opening bounce.

This feels much more like 2016. Macrae needs a rest, B Smith hasn’t been at his electric best, Bont has been a bit off.

Bailey Dale was on fire in 2019 but proved himself a player not to he trusted in finals. Same as Schache.

St Kilda have matched up very well on us in the last two games but this will be very different.

We struggle to score heavily but everything else is working very nicely at the moment.
We have been the highest scoring team in the AFL for the past six weeks or so but I suppose all teams are struggling to score

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back