Rumour Should the Crows go for Matt Scharenberg?

Prochard123

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 28, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Yet youre pushing a player we dont want.

No thank you.

Youre not getting anything for him, which is the more pressing concern.
Well no, all I'm saying is that if you do pick him up, you shouldn't be overly concerned with his speed, as he does deserve another chance.

I thought I already made it pretty clear that we won't get anything for him. But if you missed it, yes, we are talking about the situation where you pick him up as a delisted free agent.

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
If we're fair dinkum both he and Ben Davis should be gone next week or at least when list sizes get announced.

Ben got a decent b&f rating for his his one game. Which is surprising. He also looked a lot taller than I thought, seemed to only be about a few cms shorter than EH in the pre-count photo. Pretty slick mover at that height. There's no way that he should be in the next 2 names.

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
Certainly odd, he seems like an easy delist.

Still, I'd like to find a way to keep him around elsewhere in the club, if possible. Has always come off as a quality dude.

Not delisting him is a concern, should have been in the first group. My worry is the keeping him solely because he's a reliable and AFL hardened body even though he has the lowest of ceilings. Despite being do very average, I reckon he'll stay if a couple of experienced guys want out.

Aug 9, 2019
Victorian Central Highlands
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Panthers, GWV Rebels, Central Augusta
Ben got a decent b&f rating for his his one game. Which is surprising. He also looked a lot taller than I thought, seemed to only be about a few cms shorter than EH in the pre-count photo. Pretty slick mover at that height. There's no way that he should be in the next 2 names.
Only thing that will save him is the fact he's contracted, it's time we moved on from carrying 23 year old's that are not getting regular games, McAdam has gone past him easily for the same sort of role and listening to Nicks' presser we're looking at mid/forward's in this draft. He is 187cm by the way.

Last edited:
Not delisting him is a concern, should have been in the first group. My worry is the keeping him solely because he's a reliable and AFL hardened body even though he has the lowest of ceilings. Despite being do very average, I reckon he'll stay if a couple of experienced guys want out.

I'd agree with the "stay if we lose people's comment. Still seems a tad off with the rookie list being cut down and Ben needing a new contract.

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
That is the key, though. We can't afford to be wasting picks on fillers if the list is reduced. Similarly, it should be quality over quantity in the normal recruiting.

I just read my post and I prolly didn’t make myself clear. If we’re down to Crocker as our last spot I’d go with Schoenberg for a nothing pick/DFA. I don’t like the idea of keeping a mid ager with a very low ceiling just because he’s fit and not injury prone. If we get to the point of looking towards Crocker, I’m sure there’s a kid that won’t be too disastrous in the role and the difference (if any) won’t be costing us a crack at the flag.

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
Only thing that will save him is the fact he's contracted, it's time we moved on from carrying 23 year old's that are not getting regular games, McAdam has gone past him easily for the same sort of role and listening to Nicks' presser we're looking at mid/forward's in this draft. He is 187cm by the way.

The next 3 to go, in no order, should be Mackay retired, Crocker delisted and Seed traded for anything. None provide a skerrick of value to us going forward.

Aug 9, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
I just read my post and I prolly didn’t make myself clear. If we’re down to Crocker as our last spot I’d go with Schoenberg for a nothing pick/DFA. I don’t like the idea of keeping a mid ager with a very low ceiling just because he’s fit and not injury prone. If we get to the point of looking towards Crocker, I’m sure there’s a kid that won’t be too disastrous in the role and the difference (if any) won’t be costing us a crack at the flag.
Crocker is a medium forward and Sharenberg is a a medium/3rd tall defender with a diabolical injury history, we don't need him at all, he's played 41 AFL games across his 7 year AFL career....He's not replacing Tom Doedee any time soon. Crocker should be delisted. Give me Seedsman on our list over Scharenberg any day.

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
Crocker is a medium forward and Sharenberg is a a medium/3rd tall defender with a diabolical injury history, we don't need him at all, he's played 41 AFL games across his 7 year AFL career....He's not replacing Tom Doedee any time soon. Crocker should be delisted. Give me Seedsman on our list over Scharenberg any day.

I reckon when you're looking at the very last spot on your list, the type of player is completely irrelevant. In a rebuilding list it should be a rookie who has some chance of making it. But if it's a choice between Crocker and Sch, their roles are irrelevant and I'd go with Sch for a nothing pick. You'd keep Crocker, that's up to you.

Aug 9, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
I reckon when you're looking at the very last spot on your list, the type of player is completely irrelevant. In a rebuilding list it should be a rookie who has some chance of making it. But if it's a choice between Crocker and Sch, their roles are irrelevant and I'd go with Sch for a nothing pick. You'd keep Crocker, that's up to you.
Who said I'd keep Crocker, wasn't me.
I'd keep Seedsman on the list rather than taking Scharenberg even if he's free as a delisted free agent. Seedsman still fits in better with the faster ball movement we displayed the last month or so and he's a far more damaging player than Scharenberg just for starters.

crow2crow

Trapped in Victoria
Sep 13, 2020
AFL Club
Adelaide
i would with a draft pick u might get sholl

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
Who said I'd keep Crocker, wasn't me.
I'd keep Seedsman on the list rather than taking Scharenberg even if he's free as a delisted free agent. Seedsman still fits in better with the faster ball movement we displayed the last month or so and he's a far more damaging player than Scharenberg just for starters.

Then what are you arguing about. All I've posted is that if we're down to the last list spot and Crocker is still on it, I'd prefer Sch. I'm not saying anything else. So logically, seeing as you're arguing against my post, you'd keep Crocker. If not, then I have NFI what you're arguing, because it has nothing to do with my posts.

Aug 9, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Then what are you arguing about. All I've posted is that if we're down to the last list spot and Crocker is still on it, I'd prefer Sch. I'm not saying anything else. So logically, seeing as you're arguing against my post, you'd keep Crocker. If not, then I have NFI what you're arguing, because it has nothing to do with my posts.

Pretty clear what I said if you read it....Seedsman more value to our list than Scharenberg, Seedsman>>>Scharenberg.
The next 3 to go, in no order, should be Mackay retired, Crocker delisted and Seed traded for anything. None provide a skerrick of value to us going forward.

Jarman3

Premiership Player
Oct 22, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
I'd agree with the "stay if we lose people's comment. Still seems a tad off with the rookie list being cut down and Ben needing a new contract.

Have they officially cut the rookie list yet? Maybe we're holding out pending that - the thinking might be we'll keep him another year if we can do it on the rookie list, otherwise we'll cut him once the rookie list officially gets the chop?

On the other hand... according to his Wikipedia page, Crocker grew up living next to Scott Burns. Maybe Burns likes the lad and keeping him on the list was part of the deal for him to come across? :p

crow2crow

Trapped in Victoria
Sep 13, 2020
AFL Club
Adelaide
Have they officially cut the rookie list yet? Maybe we're holding out pending that - the thinking might be we'll keep him another year if we can do it on the rookie list, otherwise we'll cut him once the rookie list officially gets the chop?

On the other hand... according to his Wikipedia page, Crocker grew up living next to Scott Burns. Maybe Burns likes the lad and keeping him on the list was part of the deal for him to come across? :p
now thats an interesting twist
i still expect him to be delisted
was only able to get into games after everyone else faded through fatigue

Caputo

All Australian
Dec 5, 2011
AFL Club
Adelaide
I have keep Davis as he has a 2021 contract. Prefer not to break them and he and Milera may have to mentor Stengle.

May 17, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Glenelg
I have keep Davis as he has a 2021 contract. Prefer not to break them and he and Milera may have to mentor Stengle.
Not sure if Davis is exactly the mentoring type to be honest.

Milera has talked about wanting to take a larger leadership role, he's also a young man about to start a family, so he's gonna have his focus elsewhere soon I imagine.

Back