Preview Finals Week One: Brisbane Lions vs Richmond Tigers @ The Gabba, Friday Oct 2, 7:50pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Watched the 1st quarter of last years final against the Tigers last night. We looked so confident in how we wanted to play and that crowd reaction to Neale’s goal 😍.

Neither team is looking as crisp when compared to this time last year. If we can stop some of those easy goals from a bit of ball watching or a bad bounce of the ball then we should be pretty close.

Watched the 1st quarter of last years final against the Tigers last night. We looked so confident in how we wanted to play and that crowd reaction to Neale’s goal 😍.

Neither team is looking as crisp when compared to this time last year. If we can stop some of those easy goals from a bit of ball watching or a bad bounce of the ball then we should be pretty close.

I don't know how you do it. This still angers me to no end.

ezgif-3-c837b87472af.gif

How he starts to drop before Hippy even makes contact ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh :mad:

The changes come in at 1am 1/10/20 so our game v Richmond the next day will have the increased figure

I believe the new total allowed will be 30,000. A figure announced by Gil for the Grand Final
Gabba capacity still listed at 42,000 but realistically it is about 38,000 plus
So, 75 % of 38,000 = 28,500
I believe Ticketmaster will be told to work out a 30,000 selling figure with 1 seat between groups and see what can be sold.
The Richmond game will then give the AFL some incite on how to sell 30,000 for the GF.
This game may very well be the one to sell out depending on how other results fall during finals

However their needs to be some positive marketing & promotion to take place to ensure this crowd figure happens

Still lots of people believe their is no point trying to get tickets as limited capacity to footy games. Also a lot of seniors will resist going due to health concerns.

Tickets on sale Monday with game on Friday so not much time to convert people into attending and paying increased $ for a final

Largest crowds at the Gabba[edit]
SportDateCrowdEvent
Concerts4-5 March 201765,000Adele Live 2017
Rugby League9 July 195446,355Ashes Test Match: Australia vs England
International Cricket15 January 200638,8742006 KFC T20I: Australia vs South Africa
Australian Football7 September 201937,4782019 AFL Qualifying Final: Brisbane Lions vs Richmond
Rugby Union30 June 200137,4602001 British and Irish Lions tour to Australia: British and Irish Lions vs Australia
Association Football23 September 200037,3322000 Olympic Football (men's) Brazil vs Cameroon
Domestic Cricket (Big Bash League)5 January 201835,5642017–18 BBL Season: Brisbane Heat vs Perth Scorchers
You have to factor in the cricketers club, the Lions members and public don't get in there the cricketers club members do and its not always full for the football. Then, if the contract still stands, there is a section behind the goals down the far end where they had the 'decl' thing, bloody stupid, table and chairs taking up valuable seats. So capacity is a bit down but if they open them as part of the agreement and take the deck away that would help.

You have to factor in the cricketers club, the Lions members and public don't get in there the cricketers club members do and its not always full for the football. Then, if the contract still stands, there is a section behind the goals down the far end where they had the 'decl' thing, bloody stupid, table and chairs taking up valuable seats. So capacity is a bit down but if they open them as part of the agreement and take the deck away that would help.
Without being "in the know" it is just a bit of guesswork from us members.
The Cricketer's club will have to return any unsold tickets just like any Lions & Richmond allocations that are not sold.
Then they go on sale again/again. The process has been well worked out over the years.
AFL have control of all finals ticketing so they will sell as many as possible.
The section you talk about is "The Verandah".
This section looks like it is actually been extended. I think in name only. See section 14,15 in map below.
The Verandah used to be only section 14. It now extends across the whole goal area unless the map is wrong.
Can't see them ripping up seats in section 15 but who knows. This is a separate ticket category on it's own
Looks like that big advertising sign behind the interchange bench stays put as seating behind is blocked out. A large part of Section 27 plus either side.
Seating map below taken from link to purchase tickets for Lions v Richmond final.

1601093540957.png

Woke up early from a dream a few days ago with the phrase "This is what happens when they kick straight" in Bruce Mcaveny's voice in my mind.
Meaningless but just throwing it out there.
Dreams aren’t as silly as they appear, back in 2001, well before the finals series started, I had a dream in which Vossy and Leigh were holding up the Premiership Cup... we all know how that finished !!!

I don't know how you do it. This still angers me to no end.

View attachment 971006

How he starts to drop before Hippy even makes contact ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh :mad:

That and the Rich holding the ball that led to Riewoldt's first goal.

Especially when you compare it to about half way through the first quarter where a Richmond player takes posession in the defensive pocket, tries to run away from Christensen and gets tackled and ends up out of bounds and they pay a throw in.

Not to mention all the shots we missed...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Time for Rayner and McCluggage to step up and go to the next level this finals series.
I've been thinking the same thing, particularly Rayner, I love when he goes into the midfield/centre bounces for stints, he's a real game changer when on, dangerous matchup forward as well with his marking ability and brute strength at stoppages.

If players who have been in the system for 3-5 seasons like Rayner, Berry, McCluggage, Bailey, Hipwood, Starcevich, Ah Chee can step up in the finals we can win the whole box and dice.

Prestia and Martin usually tear us up in the middle.
Prestia is a good in for them.

He's also underdone. I'd back our system in against theirs - the difference will be Dusty and Bolton. Beat them and we win.

He's also underdone. I'd back our system in against theirs - the difference will be Dusty and Bolton. Beat them and we win.

Simply comes down to our goal kicking and whether the umps fall for their free kick attempts and how they look for cheap ones, especially against the tide of the game when we have the flow. If we do well in these areas and keep scoreboard pressure on, we should be fine.

Simply comes down to our goal kicking and whether the umps fall for their free kick attempts and how they look for cheap ones, especially against the tide of the game when we have the flow. If we do well in these areas and keep scoreboard pressure on, we should be fine.

I think saying it's just down to goal kicking is a bit too simplistic, but I reckon our best beats their best. We need to have the belief to win and if we do, sky is the limit.

If you look at Richmond circa 2017, they were in the same boat as us. Nowhere near favourite to win the comp, but their big win week one against Geelong set them on a path to win the grand final.

I think this is our best chance to beat Richmond in forever.
If we can slow down their run, then we can match them.

Need to win first use of the footy and get it forward before they can flood the backline, they are brilliant at setting up behind the ball and stopping run. When we do turn it over need to not give them easy goals, as said above.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back