Rumour AFL asks WAFC to commit 65 mill to competition over 3 years

Jul 26, 2007
Darwin
AFL Club
West Coast
Oh cry me a river.

You said struggling clubs should fold or merge, well Freo is struggling in these tough times, fold or merge.

Or are you just a hypocrite?

No you are.

Every team this year is struggling. Should we fold everyone?

The poster proved you wrong and now you are being a dick.

Freo wash their own faces even with crap fixturing. And they get substantially less than other Melbourne clubs who operate in a saturated market. The AFL wanted relocations but traditional Melbourne clubs refused. And because of that they continue to need more AFL distributions than other clubs. And other interstate clubs are forced to play in Alice Springs, Northeern Antartica and Darwin.

Its obvious which clubs dont pull their weight financially...........Freo jis not one of them.

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2009
Gippsland
AFL Club
Collingwood
You seem to be of the opinion that only TV ratings in Victoria count.

All the arguments that you use to support Victorian clubs are just as relevant to Fremantle, most of the arguments apply to Fremantle more than it does North and St Kilda.

Fremantles TV ratings, which are primarily in WA are greater than ratings St Kilda and North get.

Your argument just doesn't make sense.

But please, continue. Watching ignorant folks twist their arguments like a pretzel is very entertaining for a Sunday morning.
LMAO, i don't think you are even reading my posts.

I said earlier, i want no clubs to fold.

Now, TV ratings?

If you had a brain that functioned properly, where would you focus on, 2 mill in WA or 6 mill in Vic?

Sep 15, 2009
Gippsland
AFL Club
Collingwood
No you are.

Every team this year is struggling. Should we fold everone?

The poster proved you wrong and now you are being a dick.

Freo wash their own faces even with crap fixturing. And they get substantially less than other Melbourne clubs who operate in a saturated market. The AFL wanted relocations but traditional Melbourne clubs refused. And because of that they continue to need more AFL distributions than other clubs. And other interstate clubs are forced to play in Alice Springs, Northeern Antartica and Darwin.

Its obvious which clubs dont pull their weight financially...........Freo jis not one of them.
Another who has no idea what my point is.

Go read my posts, i don't want anyone to fold.

And reading posts for many years now, this has f*&^% all to do with money, it's WA fans wanting less Vic clubs, not one of you would give a rats if Collingwood folded.

Just a reminder the "horrible" time slot that often gets thrown out is a 2:40pm WST Sunday game. One of the closest start times to the traditional start time of any game all weekend.

The second complaint is that it's a "Foxtel time slot"--- despite the fact that all WCE & Freo games get shown on FTA into WA regardless of the time slot (even though 3 are shown on delay each year).

Feb 11, 2011
pakenham
AFL Club
Fremantle
Another who has no idea what my point is.

Go read my posts, i don't want anyone to fold.

And reading posts for many years now, this has f*&^% all to do with money, it's WA fans wanting less Vic clubs, not one of you would give a rats if Collingwood folded.
WA fans want.

1. AFL to provide the same funding per capita to WA as Vic.
2. West Coast the powerhouse shouldn’t be funding grassroots football.
3. Fremantle should get the same funding as the Bigger Victorian do. Small Victorian Clubs should get less funding.
4. Fremantle shouldn’t be disadvantaged fixture wise because smaller Victorian teams can’t support themselves.

Sep 15, 2009
Gippsland
AFL Club
Collingwood
WA fans want.

3. Fremantle should get the same funding as the Bigger Victorian do. Small Victorian Clubs should get less funding.
4. Fremantle shouldn’t be disadvantaged fixture wise because smaller Victorian teams can’t support themselves.
And i agree on all points.

FreeTK

Premiership Player
Oct 2, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
LMAO, i don't think you are even reading my posts.

I said earlier, i want no clubs to fold.

Now, TV ratings?

If you had a brain that functioned properly, where would you focus on, 2 mill in WA or 6 mill in Vic?

If your argument is no club should fold, then make that argument.

Instead you are making the argument that Fremantle should fold. Even though you are only making that argument to spite a poster on here who happens to be a Fremantle supporter in some juvenile attempt at playing some "how do you like it" game.

You may not like it, but the argument around competition structure, and value that certain teams provide to the competition is a live and open debate.

We don't need your permission to have a discussion on a topic you may find difficult.

Feb 11, 2011
pakenham
AFL Club
Fremantle
Just a reminder the "horrible" time slot that often gets thrown out is a 2:40pm WST Sunday game. One of the closest start times to the traditional start time of any game all weekend.

The second complaint is that it's a "Foxtel time slot"--- despite the fact that all WCE & Freo games get shown on FTA into WA regardless of the time slot (even though 3 are shown on delay each year).
Isn’t that the point.

WA only have 2 teams and Victoria has 10.

Sep 15, 2009
Gippsland
AFL Club
Collingwood
If your argument is no club should fold, then make that argument.

Instead you are making the argument that Fremantle should fold. Even though you are only making that argument to spite a poster on here who happens to be a Fremantle supporter in some juvenile attempt at playing some "how do you like it" game.

You may not like it, but the argument around competition structure, and value that certain teams provide to the competition is a live and open debate.

We don't need your permission to have a discussion on a topic you may find difficult.
Look, the AFL know what they can do and what they can't, if the time comes that they cannot support 10 clubs in Vic, then they will cull.

Just because you want it, doesn't make it right.

IMO less clubs would make a better comp, but i am not for culling clubs and supporters to get that, i would rather let nature take it's course.

FreeTK

Premiership Player
Oct 2, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast

Mostly agree with this. Although the caveat being it appears the AFL wants to keep the Sunday east coast prime time slot, which inevitably makes the WA game a 410pm AWST start. But I tend to think that shouldn't be a problem.

RE: FTA v Fox timeslots. I don't think people are that concerned for their own viewing experience. I do think some folks are concerned about lack of FTA coverage and what that means for their club in terms of signage/sponsor dollars.

Easy solution is to make the Sunday 6:10pm AEST time slot a FTA game and give that slot to WA clubs most weeks.

Problem solved.

FreeTK

Premiership Player
Oct 2, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
At a point in time (and i don't think it's too far away)the AFL will tell clubs, lift your game or you're out.

By all reports the AFL has expressed concern about North throughout this year, and Gil has previously given St Kilda a clip for the financial position they find themselves.

At the beginning of this pandemic, Gil stated that there will be 18 clubs coming out the other side of this pandemic and into 2021 season. He stopped short of guaranteeing their medium of long term future.

North have one year left in Tassie, by all reports, Tasmania has no desire to continue that deal with North Melbourne beyond 2021.

That will leave a 3 million dollar hole in Norths budget. A budget that already has holes in it from downturns in membership, attendance etc with COVID crisis.

The point in time that you think is "not too far away" is probably 12-18 months from now.

FreeTK

Premiership Player
Oct 2, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
How do you think the AFL is currently funding the season?

Is this some kind of "Marvel tenants paid off marvel on crap deals and gave the AFL the asset they are using to bankroll the season" argument?

If so, it is small povo clubs trying to make themselves relevant.

18 clubs own Marvel.

It is the leagues asset and belong to the clubs.

Majority of clubs will need to get assistance this year.

What I am talking about is that the same smaller Victorian clubs getting hand outs on a constant bases.

You are not being intellectually honest.
Ohhh so you want to ignore the event that would ordinarily kill off your club

But you want the clubs that struggle due to paying off the asset that ensured your club survived to be killed off because they were running losses and took too much from the AFL? Despite the fact they continue to be solvent. Something freo dont have right now without the docklands asset?

Being an assisted club in and of itself doesn't mean that club is struggling. You need to look as fundamentals of how that club is run and be able to determine their ability to pay down debt, and recover over the next couple of years.

People calling for Freo to fold don't know shitt about shitt when it comes to AFL. Freo is a small club, but from an off field perspective they punch well above their weight. They have 50K members, average 40K attendance and despite recording a loss last year of 1.6m (largely due to sacking CEO/Coach) went in to COVID crisis debt free with a small amount of money in reserves (about 1.5 million).

Given the lucrative nature of the Optus Stadium user agreement, Fremantle will be able to recover their position quicker than other clubs of comparable size, and that will be hastened if Freo continue to improve their on field success.

If there is contraction in the size of the competition, many clubs would be out the door well before Freo.

In terms of merging/relocating/folding clubs, there are two arguments:

First in First out: This applies to GWS and GCS. Idea is they are a drain on AFL resources and people speculate (wrongly IMO) that they will never be able to truly stand on their own two feet. Defenders of those two clubs say they are of utmost strategic value as the room for growth is largest in two northern markets

You've had your time and failed miserably: The argument that gets used when discussing small Vic clubs, mostly St Kilda and North. Argument is they have huge debts, a long history of living on the breadline and have struggled for most of their time in the competition (80-100 years). Most people point to the asymmetrical structure of the comp as being an impediment to national competition, and those two teams will have to take the hit as 10 Victorian teams is unsustainable.

Freo doesn't fit either of those arguments, and you are just being petty, and wildly flailing and having a crack at someone for having an opinion you don't like.

It goes to show just how uninformed you are, and exposing your rudimentary knowledge of football and the competition.

Complete noob.
If you look at it from a market share perspective freo are actually under performing especially when compared to many of the Victorian clubs.

The fact free can do well off field in terms of sponsorship shows that a 3rd WA side is actually a pretty good investment.

I know exactly what you are doing.

It isn't about how I would feel, it is about forming a view on the best way forward for the competition.

I notice you aren't calling out posters who are saying GCS and Giants should fold, even though there is an argument to keep them in the competition that is just as compelling, if not more, than there is to support the two struggling Victorian clubs.

Perhaps in your mind, some clubs are expendable, even though you cry foul at anyone mentioning St Kilda or North. Hypocrisy at it's finest.

In terms of a 3rd WA club, no one wants that in the competition except some disgruntled Vic/Freo supporters who want to see West Coast's market dominance diluted. A 3rd WA club has no obvious benefits to the competition other than attempting to restrict West Coast. There is no obvious geographical location this imaginary club would represent, there is no obvious demographic they would draw as supporters, and there is no way to attract more WA supporters to AFL in WA as it is a traditional footy state with longstanding allegiances to one of the two clubs that already exist there.

The reason why your argument exposes you as a noob is that your calls to fold Fremantle has no solid basis. Like I said in my previous post, there are two prevailing arguments as to which clubs should fold/merge/relocate and Fremantle does not fit in either of those arguments.

Calling for Fremantle's exit from the competition is devoid of any serious considerations, and those calling for it are noobs.

On the other hand, while unedifying, questioning the value of either the two newest clubs, or smaller struggling Victorian clubs is legitimate in a time where the competition has lost significant revenue, and costs of running the competition are greater.

You may not like it, but posters calling for St Kilda and North to fold/merge/relocate are valid, and worth engaging with.

Arguments to fold Fremantle are not valid or have any evidentiary basis. It's simply having a crack at a poster for expressing a view you don't like. It is a blatant example of playing the man, not the ball.

And that is why you are a noob.
My god did you read his post. He wasn't calling for freo to fold....

Ok, it's ok you think i'm a noob.

But here is the gist of what you are saying.

Saints and Roos have, i would guess, 8 times the support Freo have, but you think it's ok to fold them 2 clubs and lose all that support.

I think we know who the noob is.
Don't know why you bother. The guy clearly can't read.

You seem to be of the opinion that only TV ratings in Victoria count.

All the arguments that you use to support Victorian clubs are just as relevant to Fremantle, most of the arguments apply to Fremantle more than it does North and St Kilda.

Fremantles TV ratings, which are primarily in WA are greater than ratings St Kilda and North get.

Your argument just doesn't make sense.

But please, continue. Watching ignorant folks twist their arguments like a pretzel is very entertaining for a Sunday morning.
Yeah no theyre not.

Sep 15, 2009
Gippsland
AFL Club
Collingwood
By all reports the AFL has expressed concern about North throughout this year, and Gil has previously given St Kilda a clip for the financial position they find themselves.

At the beginning of this pandemic, Gil stated that there will be 18 clubs coming out the other side of this pandemic and into 2021 season. He stopped short of guaranteeing their medium of long term future.

North have one year left in Tassie, by all reports, Tasmania has no desire to continue that deal with North Melbourne beyond 2021.

That will leave a 3 million dollar hole in Norths budget. A budget that already has holes in it from downturns in membership, attendance etc with COVID crisis.

The point in time that you think is "not too far away" is probably 12-18 months from now.
You are now starting to get it, you don't need to yell at the clouds, it will happen naturally, if any club can't stand up when it gets tough, they will naturally go by the wayside.
At the moment, the AFL seems to think they can sustain all clubs, they know more than we do, i would say it's got a lot to do with losing too many supporters to the game.

WA fans want.

3 will be fixed by reducing the footy dept spend from 12 million to 7 million for all clubs.

Which will remove all assistance clubs will require.

While we are at it we can remove the NGAs.

Isn’t that the point.

WA only have 2 teams and Victoria has 10.

So why should the supporters of the 10 Victorian clubs have to carry the additional financial cost of Foxtel subscriptions to watch their team on a weekly basis?

Supporters of the 8 'interstate' teams can watch their team weekly without Foxtel-- but a supporter of a Victorian team may only see their side 5-6 times a year without Foxtel. This leads to a situation in Victoria where some supporters choose to have a Foxtel subscription rather than a club membership (regional supporters, older supporters, etc.) because having both is cost prohibitive.

We don't have public access to this data-- but I've said this repetitively over the past few years on BF, I suspect that the overwhelming majority of Foxtel subscribers who subscribe to primarily watch AFL come from Victoria.

RE: FTA v Fox timeslots. I don't think people are that concerned for their own viewing experience. I do think some folks are concerned about lack of FTA coverage and what that means for their club in terms of signage/sponsor dollars.

Therefore wouldn't it be a massive advantage to be a sponsor of an interstate side that gets approx. 100k viewers on FTA every week (in its home state) in addition to the Foxtel viewership compared to sponsoring St. Kilda, North Melbourne or the Western Bulldogs?

Mostly agree with this. Although the caveat being it appears the AFL wants to keep the Sunday east coast prime time slot, which inevitably makes the WA game a 410pm AWST start. But I tend to think that shouldn't be a problem.

Easy solution is to make the Sunday 6:10pm AEST time slot a FTA game and give that slot to WA clubs most weeks.

Problem solved.

Channel 7 wouldn't be interested in this time slot & I don't know if any other FTA broadcasters would be interested in airing a FTA broadcast on Primetime on a Sunday night.

For example last Sunday--- Channel 7 got 1.1mil viewers at 6pm for 7 News and then 758,000 viewers between 7:30pm-9pm for The Full Monty. How many AFL games would rate over 750k on a Sunday evening?

While I agree with you that giving the Eagles & Freo a 'time slot' they can make their own-- I think the emphasis should remain focusing on entertaining the WA audience rather than a national audience.

At the end of the day the AFL is about making money & the TV rights deals are what keeps the lights on above ticket sales, etc.

Is this some kind of "Marvel tenants paid off marvel on crap deals and gave the AFL the asset they are using to bankroll the season" argument?

If so, it is small povo clubs trying to make themselves relevant.

18 clubs own Marvel.

It is the leagues asset and belong to the clubs.
That WCE and Freo did not contribute one cent to.

Whilst you were collecting 75c in the dollar at subi. Clubs here were writing cheques for bringing 35k people through the door and not making a cent off the game.

But sure buddy keep minimising it.

Back