Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
He craps on about being the goat a lot and i don't think you can be in the discussion anymore as a 1 division champ.

He's 6'4" and lanky as fu** already so no way he can go down, if he wants to be the goat he needs to go for it.

Maybe, Connor and Cejudo are 2 division champs and probably aren't in discussion for the greatest.
People still rate GSP, Jones and Anderson above them. Khabib beats Gaethje and I think he's in that discussion as well.

He craps on about being the goat a lot and i don't think you can be in the discussion anymore as a 1 division champ.

Would 12 title defenses in one division be more impressive or say 3 or 4 title defenses across 2 divisions?

Two divisions is impressive but everyone so far hasn't managed to actually go years holding both. It's a very difficult task no doubt.

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Would 12 title defenses in one division be more impressive or say 3 or 4 title defenses across 2 divisions?

Two divisions is impressive but everyone so far hasn't managed to actually go years holding both. It's a very difficult task no doubt.
I think defending in the one is harder.
Look at Connor, he never actually defended his belt once. Jon Jones has more title defences than Connor has wins in the UFC. The two belt thing is a gimmick to me because you don't have to earn it by heating blokes at the second weight level you just get an immediate shot. Cejudo atleast defended.
Unless you stay active as * though you cant defend both, you'd need to be fighting every 3-4 months.

mouncey2franklin

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 16, 2018
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Watched this one on delay. Just finished.

Well, credit to Izzy, he's way too good. Just made minced meat of Costa, after doing similar to Bob.

Shows how tough Romero is that he survived five rounds of those leg kicks and could still dance afterwards.

Disappointed in Reyes, I thought he was the goods. I was wrong. Got smacked by a much better fighter on the night.

Let's not kid ourselves, both divisions are weak AF. With heavyweight being just as bereft of real talent.

There's way more money and less risk in other sports for guys that size. The talent pool is too thin.

Doesn't change the fact that Israel and Jan are now kings of their respective divisions, so good on them for that.

As for Israel's cringe, in a way, I kind of admire it. His wit isn't anywhere near the level of his kickboxing, but it will get eyeballs.

I wonder how much money Dan Hooker just made on this fight. He called it on Submission Radio.

He might make more money betting on Israel than he does actually fighting. The UFC is a joke in so many ways aye.

Last edited:

mouncey2franklin

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 16, 2018
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Haha MW was murderers row a year ago, now that Izzy is a gun it's weak?

Adesanya, Whittaker, Romero, Costa, Till, Gastelum, Hermanson etc. Still a high level of talent there, just that Izzy makes it look easy
All talented fighters for sure.

But this is meant to be the top flight of MMA in the world.

And the champ has already embarrassed two on your list, embarrassed himself running from one of them, and had a good fight but ultimately won against another.

Nobody here will be tipping Till or Hermanson against Israel either.

The talent pool is thin, all things considered. Again, there's more money and less risk in other pro sports.

It is that simple.

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
All talented fighters for sure.

But this is meant to be the top flight of MMA in the world.

And the champ has already embarrassed two on your list, embarrassed himself running from one of them, and had a good fight but ultimately won against another.

Nobody here will be tipping Till or Hermanson against Israel either.

The talent pool is thin, all things considered. Again, there's more money and less risk in other pro sports.

It is that simple.
You ain't giving enough credit to Izzy. As much as he annoys me it wouldn't surprise me if he is seen as one of the greatest to do it by the time he's done it

burge13

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 25, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide

Adesanya, Whittaker, Romero, Costa, Till, Gastelum, Hermanson etc. Still a high level of talent there, just that Izzy makes it look easy
It isn't weak BUT Izzy has beaten them so it's hard to get excited about more fights against them. The way he's handled Rob and Costa is amazing, why would I get excited about Cannonier? That's why I think he should go up because 185 just doesn't have the talent to test now

It's interesting people talk about Jan's power but he had shot to bits Manuwa go the distance, 49 year old Jacare go the distance, lost to Thiago Santos (a middleweight). He isn't Ngannou despite his late career surge (and great title performance). It would be a great fight and the fact we are'debating' who would win makes it good. Is anyone debating Izzy rolls what's left at 185?

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
It isn't weak BUT Izzy has beaten them so it's hard to get excited about more fights against them. The way he's handled Rob and Costa is amazing, why would I get excited about Cannonier? That's why I think he should go up because 185 just doesn't have the talent to test now

It's interesting people talk about Jan's power but he had shot to bits Manuwa go the distance, 49 year old Jacare go the distance, lost to Thiago Santos (a middleweight). He isn't Ngannou despite his late career surge (and great title performance). It would be a great fight and the fact we are'debating' who would win makes it good. Is anyone debating Izzy rolls what's left at 185?
No no I didn't think anyone was arguing that were they? I said before I can't see Izzy losing for a long time now. No one in that division presents a problem to him. Whittaker won't beat him neither will Cannonier.
Only chance is if someone comes up through the ranks who fights like Khabib/Usman and is able to hold him down.

Reason I talked power was because people were talking about Costas power but he has nothing on Jan, Jan has straight up Kod 3 guys in a row now. He's vicious and it's a step up.

Heard Izzy saying he could fight at heavyweight aswell. That would be truly legacy defining.

Joker91

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 3, 2012
Tigerland
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool

Still a few fights for Izzy at middleweight before he has conquered the vision.

Winner of Whittaker/Cannonier
Winner of Till/Hermanson

Get through that lot and then move up to LHW.

burge13

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 25, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
No no I didn't think anyone was arguing that were they? I said before I can't see Izzy losing for a long time now. No one in that division presents a problem to him. Whittaker won't beat him neither will Cannonier.
Only chance is if someone comes up through the ranks who fights like Khabib/Usman and is able to hold him down.

Reason I talked power was because people were talking about Costas power but he has nothing on Jan, Jan has straight up Kod 3 guys in a row now. He's vicious and it's a step up.

Heard Izzy saying he could fight at heavyweight aswell. That would be truly legacy defining.
He 'might' be able to handle the smaller heavyweights but any wrestler that big & anyone 240+ he hasn't really got a chance against.

Colby is a fool if he isn't barking for the next shot at Izzy. That fight sells and perfect style against him

Macpotata

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 22, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
too good. Costa waited too long to close the distance but his leg was jacked anyway. Izzy too smart and good and controlling range as well as being tactical. Costa got ****ed up with a head and body combo when he did come on the inside.

Mayweather/Bruce Lee/Anderson Silva/John Jones. That's Izzy all in one.

burge13

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 25, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Disagree with that. Izzy would most likely cut Colby down. Big size difference as well. Colby vs Jorge, Usman rematch is what I'm keen on.
Maybe (probably) but a tenacious wrestler that actually wrestles unlike Romero with seemingly unlimited cardio will be Izzy's kryptonite. Add to that he's a draw and I think it's infinitely more interesting than Cannonier TBH.

Though I agree, Mas/Colby is a good fight and makes sense. Just think Colby should be making that call out, it's a gettable fight

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Maybe (probably) but a tenacious wrestler that actually wrestles unlike Romero with seemingly unlimited cardio will be Izzy's kryptonite. Add to that he's a draw and I think it's infinitely more interesting than Cannonier TBH.

Though I agree, Mas/Colby is a good fight and makes sense. Just think Colby should be making that call out, it's a gettable fight
Why would Adesanya take that fight? Doesn't really add to his 'legacy'
If Colby had the belt then sure.

deklares

Premiership Player
Oct 7, 2009
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Robert Whittaker
I didn't notice Adesanya's right pec in the fight but seeing pics it does look 'weird'

Gyno on one side...?

13256e3.jpg

mouncey2franklin

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 16, 2018
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I didn't notice it either but read a few people on r/mma talking about it.

Now I see what they were on about. What the hell is that?

RobbyRoy

Norm Smith Medallist
May 3, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Victory
He's going to have to get a couple of impressive wins on the board before he's allowed back into the cage with Izzy.

Back