Strategy Who Captains the club in 2021? BigBoy!

Who takes over captaincy in 2021? The answer is BigBoy!

• JOM

Votes: 65 30.8%
  • Tom

Votes: 9 4.3%
  • Gunston

Votes: 130 61.6%
  • Other - please comment

Votes: 7 3.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

If the onfield leadership is as poor as we all think it is from the outside looking in, then we simply can't have a captain that we know will be sitting in the stands.
If O'Meara is VC then he would be the onfield captain until Sicily gets back. If O'Meara can't perform the onfield captain role sufficiently simply because his official title is VC then he is clearly not the man for the job to begin with.

If O'Meara is VC then he would be the onfield captain until Sicily gets back. If O'Meara can't perform the onfield captain role sufficiently simply because his official title is VC then he is clearly not the man for the job to begin with.
I'm not sure how anyone would take being told that they were good enough to be the captain on the field every week, but they'd only be named VC.

You'd just give him the captaincy.

I'm not sure how anyone would take being told that they were good enough to be the captain on the field every week, but they'd only be named VC.

You'd just give him the captaincy.
I'm working under the assumption that long term Sicily is the best captain choice, and O'Meara is VC. So I see a few ways to proceed based on that.

A - Sicily is named captain and O'Meara as VC is onfield captain until Sicily returns (mid-late 2021 season).

B - O'Meara is named captain and Sicily misses out in 2021. 2022 Sicily takes over and O'Meara is demoted to VC.

C - O'Meara is named captain and Sicily misses out for at least 2-3 years. Probably never ends up being captain.

Option A gets you the most amount of that with Sicily and I feel it's less disrespectful to O'Meara to ask him to continue to be the best VC he can be than it would be to embarrass him with option B by demoting him after one year. But of course option B would never happen in reality. So it's really a matter of option A vs option C. And the key difference between option A and C is weighing up having your best captain in the role for as long as possible (likely 3+ years) or at all, vs not having your official captain available to play for about two-thirds of one season.

But that's just my view, and my logic. And it's all based on my belief that Sicily is the best captain option. If the decision makers believe O'Meara is the better choice, or that the difference between them is negligible then it would make most sense of course to go with O'Meara. Who I think would still be a fine choice.

May 3, 2018
Central Coast NSW
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Detroit Pistons
All this talk about who is going to be our next captain is null and void anyways. By memory isn't it the players choice and then from the top 3 voted the coaches then decide from that 3? If so what we all think and the theories behind who it will eventually be doesn't mean much aside from an opinion.

All this talk about who is going to be our next captain is null and void anyways. By memory isn't it the players choice and then from the top 3 voted the coaches then decide from that 3? If so what we all think and the theories behind who it will eventually be doesn't mean much aside from an opinion.
Well we don't have any influence over any list management, team selection, or most player award choices either yet it still makes up most of what is discussed on these forums.

Sirlemsip

Club Legend
May 5, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Just throwing this out there, in the last couple of weeks of the season I started to feel that Scrimshaw could be one to rise to the occasion and captain the side. Maybe not for next year, but a few years down the track. Looks the most comfortable and chilled out of anyone on field.

Of the players around the same age, I couldn't see him being picked over Hardwick, Worpel or even Day

Freshmeat

Senior List
Jul 21, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I picked “other”. I wouldn’t mind seeing James Sicili get the nod. I would also be happy with Jack Gunston ( pending trade) or Tom Mitchell.

Sicily still ticks all the boxes for me.

The fact he'll miss most of the season in rehab doesn't matter. Whoever is named captain could just as easily get a LTI in the first 5 minutes of round 1 and then be out for even longer than Sicily will be.

Sicily captain. O'Meara VC.
Sicily would be a great captain, in the mold of Leigh Matthews. Brilliant talent, enforces for his team mates, doesn't take a backward step.

Of the players around the same age, I couldn't see him being picked over Hardwick, Worpel or even Day

Over the next 2-3 years, getting these 3 and Scrimshaw into the leadership team to find out who the Captain after the next one should be is vital to continuity and progression.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Simon Crawshay

Premiership Player
Jun 4, 2016
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Sicily would be a great captain, in the mold of Leigh Matthews. Brilliant talent, enforces for his team mates, doesn't take a backward step.
If we had Sicily as captain I doubt he would get flustered by the extra responsibility and go into his shell like what happened to our previous two captains (to a greater or lesser extent).

He has so much confidence in his ability this wouldn't be an issue at all, Sic would lap it up 😂

Just throwing this out there, in the last couple of weeks of the season I started to feel that Scrimshaw could be one to rise to the occasion and captain the side. Maybe not for next year, but a few years down the track. Looks the most comfortable and chilled out of anyone on field.
So you’re saying he’s a....

FUTURE CAPTAIN!!??!!??

Sirlemsip

Club Legend
May 5, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I'm working under the assumption that long term Sicily is the best captain choice, and O'Meara is VC. So I see a few ways to proceed based on that.

A - Sicily is named captain and O'Meara as VC is onfield captain until Sicily returns (mid-late 2021 season).

B - O'Meara is named captain and Sicily misses out in 2021. 2022 Sicily takes over and O'Meara is demoted to VC.

C - O'Meara is named captain and Sicily misses out for at least 2-3 years. Probably never ends up being captain.

Option A gets you the most amount of that with Sicily and I feel it's less disrespectful to O'Meara to ask him to continue to be the best VC he can be than it would be to embarrass him with option B by demoting him after one year. But of course option B would never happen in reality. So it's really a matter of option A vs option C. And the key difference between option A and C is weighing up having your best captain in the role for as long as possible (likely 3+ years) or at all, vs not having your official captain available to play for about two-thirds of one season.

But that's just my view, and my logic. And it's all based on my belief that Sicily is the best captain option. If the decision makers believe O'Meara is the better choice, or that the difference between them is negligible then it would make most sense of course to go with O'Meara. Who I think would still be a fine choice.

The other option that is not disrespectful to O'Maera is to go:

D - Gunston named captain for 2-3 years, O'Maera and Sicily as VCs. After 2-3 years review performance in that time and consider next captain (may also include younger players such as Worpel, Hardwick, etc)

Lethal Knights

All Australian
Oct 7, 2020
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I also agree that Gunners is our best option.

But the thing none of us knows is whether he actually wants the role?

And there is a risk of added responsibility of being captain taking away his focus on playing his absolute best footy (look at what happened with Stratton).

Of course on the flip side some players thrive on the responsibility and reach greater heights (I personally feel like Jack would rise to the challenge).

These things are impossible to ascertain from outside the club.

Spot on. Responsibility of leadership can be a great inspiration or burden, and also dependent on the relationship with coach.
As others have already pointed out, footy skill is not necessarily related. It’s really the ability to make everyone around you come together and reach for greater heights.

Seems to indicate Gunston is skipper...

Screen Shot 2020-12-11 at 3.11.00 pm.png

blackheart

Town Pariah
Oct 5, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Steelers, Bulls, Gunners
I'm happy with Gunston into Sicily for me. Gunner feels like a leader, one of the only ones at the moment - and would be perfect to captain the side until he's ready to move it onto Sicily.

Back