Rumour AFL asks WAFC to commit 65 mill to competition over 3 years

Remove this Banner Ad

There was a stat a few years ago that kids drafted from SA spent more time on AFL lists, and played more games on average than kids from any other state. Not sure if that's still the case.
Point is that kids from Vic get preferenced in the draft over kids from SA and WA, when stats show they probably shouldn't.

Not to mention the amount of money the AFL puts into funding Vic talent, while doing SFA for SA. It's expected the SANFL and it's club do the lions share.
Now if the AFL was legit, it would make the VFL in charge of talent in Victoria. Let's see how the results of that got borne out.
The AFL doesn't govern SA and WA footy, but the VFA handed over to the AFL in about 1995.

So to part answer about the AFL fund for Vic talent, it is their job, they govern the league.

There was a stat a few years ago that kids drafted from SA spent more time on AFL lists, and played more games on average than kids from any other state. Not sure if that's still the case.
Point is that kids from Vic get preferenced in the draft over kids from SA and WA, when stats show they probably shouldn't.

Not to mention the amount of money the AFL puts into funding Vic talent, while doing SFA for SA. It's expected the SANFL and it's club do the lions share.
Now if the AFL was legit, it would make the VFL in charge of talent in Victoria. Let's see how the results of that got borne out.
If you look at the majority of mature age recruit they tend be Vic Country, WA and SA.

Yeah i'm sure if tv ratings worked like that then 7 would have Freo and WC on all the time.

Real footy fans watch the game on TV, not just their own team. Its why Fri night footy is SO important in Melbourne, premium advertising rates.

Anybody with brain understands that the Northern markets is big and that supporting the Queensland and NSW is a good idea.
If it works, yes.

and in my opinion, if it works, look out struggling Vic clubs, they will be gone in an instance.

If they can capture an audience that is greater than they lose, then they will cull.

:thumbsu:

The Stokes family, 7s largest shareholder, has very strong WA roots (Kerry was a Subi committee man in the WAFL days) - 7 chases ratings/advertising dollars & thats not WA.

actually stokes is a Victorian born and bred

actually stokes is a Victorian born and bred

Interesting. I'm only aware of him since he & Subi footballer Kevin Merifield got into real estate development* & that was during Legs playing days, the mid 60s. Both were in their 20s.
* Jack Bendat the Perth Wildcats owner (still?)
His first involvement in media was setting up a country TV network in south West WA in the late 60s with Bendat.

Still retains a place in Perth & up at Broome. Flew into Perth on the biz jet from the US during the lockdown causing a double standards argument.

Last edited:
You seem to understand how tv rights work, try explaining to your WA mates, 7 are not sticking it up them, they do it for money.

Thats why I posted.
The FIXturing of Fri night footy is more important in Melbourne (timeslot) because it adds to the value of the TV rights when payday for the AFL comes around.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If it works, yes.

and in my opinion, if it works, look out struggling Vic clubs, they will be gone in an instance.

If they can capture an audience that is greater than they lose, then they will cull.

The problem is what if it works means.
If we look at the numbers in the player pool from day one in the nineties, expanding the player pool is there for all to see.

If we look at the dollars, I wonder if even the AFL know.

The AFL doesn't govern SA and WA footy, but the VFA handed over to the AFL in about 1995.

So to part answer about the AFL fund for Vic talent, it is their job, they govern the league.
The AFL can cut a cheque to mirror it's investment in other states regardless of who is running the state.
Unless the AFL is using funding as a Trojan Horse to take over control of SA and WA football?
The SANFL and WAFLs domestic comps are about the same size as the VFL, and generates similar revenue from crowds and sponsors. Let's see how good Vic talent would be if the VFL had to run it with their level of revenue.

The AFL can cut a cheque to mirror it's investment in other states regardless of who is running the state.
Unless the AFL is using funding as a Trojan Horse to take over control of SA and WA football?
The SANFL and WAFLs domestic comps are about the same size as the VFL, and generates similar revenue from crowds and sponsors. Let's see how good Vic talent would be if the VFL had to run it with their level of revenue.
Seems you have a bee in your bonnet.

The AFL can't do squat in SA and WA, it is up to the governing bodies.
The reason the AFL fund VFL is because the VFA handed them control, otherwise they would have gone under.
IF the SANFL and WAFC want to do the same i am sure the AFL would fund all leagues.

But no, i think you are just another, but #VICBIAS

The reason the AFL fund VFL is because the VFA handed them control, otherwise they would have gone under.
IF the SANFL and WAFC want to do the same i am sure the AFL would fund all leagues.

If the AFL is funding Vic kids over and above what they do on SA and WA, then yes, it's Vic bias.
Like I said, the AFL doesn't need to control SA and WA football to cut a cheque to go towards Jr development.
Some of the TAC cup clubs have better facilities than some of the SANFL and WAFL clubs do.

If the AFL is funding Vic kids over and above what they do on SA and WA, then yes, it's Vic bias.
Like I said, the AFL doesn't need to control SA and WA football to cut a cheque to go towards Jr development.
Some of the TAC cup clubs have better facilities than some of the SANFL and WAFL clubs do.
OMG, the AFL don't have control, have you been hit in the head?

Even if they tried they would be told to piss off.

Both WA & SA have short term funding as a result of the stadium deals that saw Subi replaced with Optus Stadium & Footy Park replaced by an upgraded Adelaide Oval. Neither State can fund footy in their State at current levels in the long term ( maybe 2030, even earlier).

Both WA & SA have short term funding as a result of the stadium deals that saw Subi replaced with Optus Stadium & Footy Park replaced by an upgraded Adelaide Oval. Neither State can fund footy in their State at current levels in the long term ( maybe 2030, even earlier).

Until the WAFC don’t own the license of the two AFL clubs and I think they should never relinquish them, then WA footy funding will be fine.

Yes, its VICBIAS.

Would SA and WA give up control when clearly the AFL has shown themselves only caring about Money and Victoria.

Do you know the AFL also fund NSW and Queensland?
#VICBIAS
That's to increase market share and its a good business model.

The fact is traditional states should get the same funding and non traditional should get extra.

10 teams in Victoria and 8 teams in other states tells it all.

Tasmania is crying out for a team, yet the AFL PREVIOUS TO THIS YEAR has supported Melbourne, North Melbourne, Footscray and St Kilda instead.

Tasmania a traditional football state having no team is a crime.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back