Oppo Camp Atu Bosenavulagi (Traded to Nth Melb. 2020)

Remove this Banner Ad

Kappa

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 7, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
We've only taken 3 live picks to the last 2 drafts, and they weren't impacted by list reductions. Personally I'd like to see more but it will be very interesting to see how many we actually use this year and how we cull the list.

We'll try take a 1st round + Reef, and then i'd be shocked if we don't take someone else in the 40s considering how wide open this draft will be with little exposed form. The better clubs will be eyeing this as an amazing opportunities to snag some great deals from kids who didn't get noticed as much as normal.

Is Atu better than a kid taken in the 40s in this draft? I don't think so long term

Kappa

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 7, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
There are plenty more players we can cull before Atu. He will cost the minimum and warrants another year from his first game alone.

Its not Atu vs someone else on our list, it's Atu vs a kid we can take with pick 40 or 50 in this mysterious draft.

Id rather take a punt on a new kid tbh, Atu has a low ceiling for me and doesn't look like a goal kicker

35Daicos

Premium Platinum
Mar 6, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood (VFL), Man Utd.
Its not Atu vs someone else on our list, it's Atu vs a kid we can take with pick 40 or 50 in this mysterious draft.

Id rather take a punt on a new kid tbh, Atu has a low ceiling for me and doesn't look like a goal kicker
If the club really wanted to be ruthless for a change that's how they'd look at it, most likely, but they just don't tend to operate that way. Moves like the McLarty axing (after just 2 years on the list) aren't made all that often. So I expect Atu will be there again next year!

Kappa

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 7, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
If the club really wanted to be ruthless for a change that's how they'd look at it, most likely, but they just don't tend to operate that way. Moves like the McLarty axing (after just 2 years on the list) aren't made all that often. So I expect Atu will be there again next year!

Delisting a kid taken late in the draft after 2 years is pretty normal.

Horaceg

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 29, 2014
Sydney
AFL Club
Collingwood
This is year is not normal without the VFL to get game time and development into kids like Atu. Obviously we have some investment in him, I for one am keen to see if another year on the list and hopefully a second tier competition next year brings him on. There is very little to go on from the minimal game time he has had. I don't think he is heading the delist line but not sure how long the line is at this stage.

35Daicos

Premium Platinum
Mar 6, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood (VFL), Man Utd.
Delisting a kid taken late in the draft after 2 years is pretty normal.
It might be for other clubs but it hasn't been in recent times with Collingwood, when we're talking players picked up in the National Draft. We've been rather kind with the likes of Crocker, Wills, and Corey Gault. Matthew Goodyear (pick 48) didn't get much of a run and was axed after 2 years, and Jackson Paine (#50) was traded to another club, but I can't see anyone else from 2011 onwards who fits the bill.

JLC

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 4, 2001
house
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Liverpool NY Yankees
He provides something we are missing so definitely worth developing.

After 2020 being a complete writeoff for VFL development, there’s nothing but upside by giving him a second proper season.

let’s say Varcoe retires. You then let Atu leave.

who exactly are our small pressure forwards?

And don’t say Josh Thomas.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If you amend that to a kid we can take at a Marley-esque 105 in the draft, that’s probably closer to the mark. We have an abundance of players needing to be retired or delisted. Atu is worth keeping as he has room for development and is on minimum chips. Pretty hard to score with really late picks this year, with minimal junior footy to go by for scouting.

May 25, 2006
Beach
AFL Club
Collingwood
let’s say Varcoe retires. You then let Atu leave.

who exactly are our small pressure forwards?

And don’t say Josh Thomas.

I think you’re mistaking me for someone who disagrees with you. I think we should keep Atu.

That said he needs to be more than a defensive forward to build a career.

May 12, 2014
FNQ
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Sydney Sixers
I'm pretty certain he's just turned 20 and already has some AFL games under his belt. He will be around for a while, I see him as a future mid rather than a small forward. Just needs to build his tank, the rest will take care of itself..

JLC

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 4, 2001
house
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Liverpool NY Yankees
I think you’re mistaking me for someone who disagrees with you. I think we should keep Atu.

That said he needs to be more than a defensive forward to build a career.

Sorry, me bad. I think I quoted the wrong post lol

i agree re role being defined. I think there are a few others (in addition to Atu) that need a clearer defining of their role (assuming if they stay) - WHE (does he roam where he wants?), Jamie Eilliott (mid or forward?), Appleby (half forward or half back), Darcy Cameron, Callum Brown and Tyler Brown.

pablo disco bar

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 16, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Sorry, me bad. I think I quoted the wrong post lol

i agree re role being defined. I think there are a few others (in addition to Atu) that need a clearer defining of their role (assuming if they stay) - WHE (does he roam where he wants?), Jamie Eilliott (mid or forward?), Appleby (half forward or half back), Darcy Cameron, Callum Brown and Tyler Brown.
Mashed potato...baked potato....scallop potato ....fried potatoe...boiled potato

Kappa

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 7, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
If you amend that to a kid we can take at a Marley-esque 105 in the draft, that’s probably closer to the mark. We have an abundance of players needing to be retired or delisted. Atu is worth keeping as he has room for development and is on minimum chips. Pretty hard to score with really late picks this year, with minimal junior footy to go by for scouting.

Wouldn't it be a lot easier to get a late bargain with less exposed form?

Surely the more exposed form means all the best kids go in the top 30 and there's less guessing

Wouldn't it be a lot easier to get a late bargain with less exposed form?

Surely the more exposed form means all the best kids go in the top 30 and there's less guessing
Increased variance means easier to get a bargain, but more likely to bust overall, at least in theory.

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
This is year is not normal without the VFL to get game time and development into kids like Atu. Obviously we have some investment in him, I for one am keen to see if another year on the list and hopefully a second tier competition next year brings him on. There is very little to go on from the minimal game time he has had. I don't think he is heading the delist line but not sure how long the line is at this stage.

Me to. I think he showed on debut against the Dawks that he isn't out of place at senior level. Kid was always seen as a development type and that aspect has been significantly compromised this year. Kid also hits the scoreboard at VFL level so claims he isn't a goal kicker just because he didn't score in his senior games are a little unfair when he spent most of those games outside F50 and games 2 & 3 were against arguably the best defensive sides in the league.

jc37

All Australian
Jan 4, 2007
London
AFL Club
Collingwood
I like ATU but think he might be a victim of list reductions. Great role player needs to improve his kicking as at the moment he does not project like a 30 goal a year small forward which is the ideal of what the club should seek.

Atu won’t be a victim of list reductions unless the lists get reduced to 35 or 34. We have plenty more ahead of him to be retired, delisted, even traded for cap relief.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back