Rumour AFL asks WAFC to commit 65 mill to competition over 3 years

Remove this Banner Ad

That's to increase market share and its a good business model.

The fact is traditional states should get the same funding and non traditional should get extra.

10 teams in Victoria and 8 teams in other states tells it all.

Tasmania is crying out for a team, yet the AFL PREVIOUS TO THIS YEAR has supported Melbourne, North Melbourne, Footscray and St Kilda instead.

Tasmania a traditional football state having no team is a crime.
Here you go crying again, grab a box of tissues.

I understand someone with Vic hate, that's all i need to know.

I've seen it many times, inferiority complex.
I live in Victoria and love my old state.

The facts are the facts.

The AFL gives WA teams less money FACT, AFL give less funding to WA per capita than Victoria FACT and Victorian teams get more Friday games FACT.

That's to increase market share and its a good business model.

The fact is traditional states should get the same funding and non traditional should get extra.

10 teams in Victoria and 8 teams in other states tells it all.

Tasmania is crying out for a team, yet the AFL PREVIOUS TO THIS YEAR has supported Melbourne, North Melbourne, Footscray and St Kilda instead.

Tasmania a traditional football state having no team is a crime.

If Tasmania really wanted a team they would stop funding two existing Victorian teams. While they continue to do that the AFL have no need to give them a licence, they will just keep taking their money.

The facts are the facts.

The AFL gives WA teams less money FACT, AFL give less funding to WA per capita than Victoria FACT and Victorian teams get more Friday games FACT.

Each AFL club is given the entire salary cap every year through TV rights distribution. The other grants are on a needed basis, both WA sides don’t really have the need others do and we should be proud of that. Yes all clubs should pull their heads in with footy department spending but while the AFL keep helping to fund that spend then not much you can do.

So do you think they will go the same way as the VFA?

The VFL was the Vic version of the WAFL, League team, reserves, thirds etc .... that was the structure of Vic footy with the TAC Cup comp replacing the 3rds reducing the running costs of the victorian AFL clubs with the AFL picking up the tab in the early 90s.

So the VFA in WA was effectively the Sunday League of the 70s. Country footy in WA was a high standard, with the majority of talent staying at home.

What happens to the WAFL in its current for?
The WAFC is a State Govt body (like say the TAC) & it will continue - the WAFC owns both AFL licences (sublicencing the Eagles & Dockers).

Footy is every bit as important in WA as Vic.

So things have to change over the next 10 years, but it will in the AFL, Covid or not.

Until the WAFC don’t own the license of the two AFL clubs and I think they should never relinquish them, then WA footy funding will be fine.

I'm a strong supporter of the WA model & AFL clubs kicking in to keep the game alive makes sense to me.

Despite the $millions the WA clubs pump into WA footy, I cant agree its clear weather ahead.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The VFL was the Vic version of the WAFL, League team, reserves, thirds etc .... that was the structure of Vic footy with the TAC Cup comp replacing the 3rds reducing the running costs of the victorian AFL clubs with the AFL picking up the tab in the early 90s.

So the VFA in WA was effectively the Sunday League of the 70s. Country footy in WA was a high standard, with the majority of talent staying at home.

What happens to the WAFL in its current for?
The WAFC is a State Govt body (like say the TAC) & it will continue - the WAFC owns both AFL licences (sublicencing the Eagles & Dockers).

Footy is every bit as important in WA as Vic.

So things have to change over the next 10 years, but it will in the AFL, Covid or not.
I don't know how the WAFL is ran.

But here before AFL, the VFL and the VFA were always at war, if anyone is to blame for the VFAs demise, it is the VFL, they were fighting over sunday footy for years, then when the Swans went to Sydney, the VFL got their wish.

I don't know how the WAFL is ran.

But here before AFL, the VFL and the VFA were always at war, if anyone is to blame for the VFAs demise, it is the VFL, they were fighting over sunday footy for years, then when the Swans went to Sydney, the VFL got their wish.

Pre the national comp all States had pretty much the same model of League, Reserves, 3rds & the clubs organised the juniors, 12s to 18s with the better kids getting thru to 3rd & 4ths.
The WA model has remained the same but with the AFL clubs at a the higher level.

If you are as silly as I am, I find it interesting at most levels beyond supporting the Eagles & Subi in the WAFL, the history of the VFL era is worth a read:
Football Ltd: The Inside Story of the AFL
by
Garry Linnell

Tells of the changes that occurred in the Victorian Football League in the 1980s resulting in the formation of the Australian Football League, and discusses the intense and bitter feuds between the businessmen and administrators who promoted these changes. Author covered Australian football for the 'Age' and the 'Times on Sunday' during the 1980s. A former sports editor of the 'Age' he is now a features editor at the 'Sunday Age'.

So why should the supporters of the 10 Victorian clubs have to carry the additional financial cost of Foxtel subscriptions to watch their team on a weekly basis?

Supporters of the 8 'interstate' teams can watch their team weekly without Foxtel-- but a supporter of a Victorian team may only see their side 5-6 times a year without Foxtel. This leads to a situation in Victoria where some supporters choose to have a Foxtel subscription rather than a club membership (regional supporters, older supporters, etc.) because having both is cost prohibitive.

We don't have public access to this data-- but I've said this repetitively over the past few years on BF, I suspect that the overwhelming majority of Foxtel subscribers who subscribe to primarily watch AFL come from Victoria.

Therefore wouldn't it be a massive advantage to be a sponsor of an interstate side that gets approx. 100k viewers on FTA every week (in its home state) in addition to the Foxtel viewership compared to sponsoring St. Kilda, North Melbourne or the Western Bulldogs?

Channel 7 wouldn't be interested in this time slot & I don't know if any other FTA broadcasters would be interested in airing a FTA broadcast on Primetime on a Sunday night.

For example last Sunday--- Channel 7 got 1.1mil viewers at 6pm for 7 News and then 758,000 viewers between 7:30pm-9pm for The Full Monty. How many AFL games would rate over 750k on a Sunday evening?

While I agree with you that giving the Eagles & Freo a 'time slot' they can make their own-- I think the emphasis should remain focusing on entertaining the WA audience rather than a national audience.

At the end of the day the AFL is about making money & the TV rights deals are what keeps the lights on above ticket sales, etc.
You want Vince Russo to replace Gil McLaughlin as the head of the AFL? LoL

Its a loan and not free money though.

From the sounds of it, 1 more year without crowds will pretty much be the death of the sport without this style of intervention

We will give it as we have no choice. Negotiation is what and how we will be compensated

More free kicks than anyone for a decade...hang on

The facts are the facts.

Bingo - WA footy should be funded equally per capita - and we keep our own licenses.

Imagine if Richmond, Collingwood and Essendon were asked to hand over $12m to run the u/18 comp

Remove this Banner Ad

Back