Not open for further replies.
This is Part 1

The thread is continued in part 2:

wayToGo_

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 24, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
Weller is a good player and still plenty of upside. Brayshaw is good but we should have gone for the trade GC were wanting to do which ended up going to WC. We could have ended up with 2 of Oscar Allen, Tim Kelly & Liam Ryan.
The problem is we then wouldn't have the Brayshaw and Cerra combination. The two of them together is where the huge value is imo. Any other pairing of the top 5 players wouldn't be anywhere near as strong for us. And now we add Serong into that which is perfect.

There is also no way we would pick Liam Ryan in that draft given the whole off field dramas we'd experienced with other players in past years. Kelly + Allen isn't the difference between where we are at and winning a premiership, we are building something that is now and Brayshaw is a key piece.

Tbonefreo

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 13, 2013
Wagga
AFL Club
Fremantle
The problem is we then wouldn't have the Brayshaw and Cerra combination. The two of them together is where the huge value is imo. Any other pairing of the top 5 players wouldn't be anywhere near as strong for us. And now we add Serong into that which is perfect.

There is also no way we would pick Liam Ryan in that draft given the whole off field dramas we'd experienced with other players in past years. Kelly + Allen isn't the difference between where we are at and winning a premiership, we are building something that is now and Brayshaw is a key piece.
Those boys share the same water bottle in the arc. Close mates

Sep 29, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Freo, Arsenal, Vikings.
The Weller trade was influenced by the AFL big time. Scott Clayton the GC list manager was not going to give us pick 2 But was told to by the GC who were in turned leaned on by the AFL. Weller was offered big $$$ to be the “face of the AFL” which is/was outside of the TPP. You only had to look at Clayton’s face when the paperwork was going through, you Would have thought a player had left not just been traded in. Brad Lloyd summed it up during an interview a few minutes later When he said “ the AFL would be very happy”

May 2, 2007
WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Chicago Bears, de Boer, Arsenal
Its not often a club gives up a top 2 pick, considered untouchable generally. Id want a lot more than that if I supported the suns.
At the time I thought he was worth maybe like a pick around 10 but with GC it was about more for the club than worrying about 'losing' on an individual trade. A quality player actually wanted to go there after so many leaving, they just had to get it done and they had already had a heap of high picks in the draft.

Peel67skin

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool
I think the trade was worth it for them.

Picks have never been a problem for them. Keeping & attracting players has been. And an opportunity to but a flag in the ground and bring a player to the club they had to do.

Weller is a good player and still plenty of upside. Brayshaw is good but we should have gone for the trade GC were wanting to do which ended up going to WC. We could have ended up with 2 of Oscar Allen, Tim Kelly & Liam Ryan.
Nah , pick 2 is more valuable , If not GCS will pick up LDU .

Carnthedockers

Premiership Player
Aug 31, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
At the time I thought he was worth maybe like a pick around 10 but with GC it was about more for the club than worrying about 'losing' on an individual trade. A quality player actually wanted to go there after so many leaving, they just had to get it done and they had already had a heap of high picks in the draft.
Yeh I understand the reasons. It just frustrates me when the media constantly refer to it as a win for them, when for me it clearly wasn't. Weller is also halfway through his career. Brayshaw is likely to be remembered as good as a trent cotchin by the time he finishes.

sumavich

Premiership Player
Aug 29, 2006
perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Brayshaw not kicking a goal for the season was a pretty ordinary effort.

Yeh I understand the reasons. It just frustrates me when the media constantly refer to it as a win for them, when for me it clearly wasn't. Weller is also halfway through his career. Brayshaw is likely to be remembered as good as a trent cotchin by the time he finishes.

Hope so, but Cotchin is a very, very good player

Bring back Drum

Mundy4Hundy
Jul 8, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Exactly my thoughts. They select a young gun at 2 who goes home after 2 or 3 years. Here you’ve got a relatively young player, already broken in & wanting to come to the club.
They needed quality players who wanted to be there to help persuade the young draftees to stay.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

arsesmart

Premiership Player
Sep 25, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
Exactly my thoughts. They select a young gun at 2 who goes home after 2 or 3 years. Here you’ve got a relatively young player, already broken in & wanting to come to the club.
They needed quality players who wanted to be there to help persuade the young draftees to stay.
They also knew exactly what they were getting with Weller. Even without the flight-risk factor, could have also gotten a Paddy Dow, Paddy McCartin or Josh Schache with a top 3 pick.

heypenny

Club Legend
Oct 10, 2006
London
AFL Club
Fremantle
We don't need Cripps. Our midfield is one of our strengths. We have arguably the best midfielder in the game, two midfielders selected in the best under 22 squad, and the current rising star. We also have depth in Walters, Tucker, Mundy, and the untried Valente (with possibly Young used as a midfielder).

We need some pace and skill on the outside to help with our ball movement and spread; and we need more forward and ruck depth.

Dockeroo

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 1, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle

Agree with this. We wouldnt have picked Liam Ryan. Also - very good chance west coast would have taken Allen at pick 13 instead of Brander if we had 2 picks in the 20s.

Dockeroo

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 1, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Surely they rated Brander ahead of Allen if they picked him first?
I believe they wanted both but were v confident Allen would still be there at 21 but not Brander. If freo had 2 picks in the 20s that would have been less likely to be the case..

I reckon with Crouch ******* it up, there is absolutely no chance he gets band 1. It should just be Williams and Cameron who can push us back because there is absolutely no way a club could offer Daniher more than 3 years with his history - or 4 years o like no money. Assuming Cameron re-signs, and I think that's most likely, it could just be pushed back to 11 with Williams compo - not too bad

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2011
AFL Club
Fremantle
I believe they wanted both but were v confident Allen would still be there at 21 but not Brander. If freo had 2 picks in the 20s that would have been less likely to be the case..
Not sure if this is correct. Seem to remember Vozzo saying he wasn’t expecting Allen to be there but took him over a mid because he was.

showemhowtorock

Cancelled
Jun 18, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Not sure if this is correct. Seem to remember Vozzo saying he wasn’t expecting Allen to be there but took him over a mid because he was.
I think you're right but it was Brander they weren't expecting to be there, they were planning on picking up allen, Ryan and Kelly but rated Brander higher so when they got to their pick went with Brander, Allen and Ryan with Kelly going in between their picks

Dockeroo

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 1, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
I thought you were a best available kinda guy?
If you have 2 picks in close succession in the draft, and you think your best available will still be there at the second of those picks, best available doesn’t really come into it. Back in 04, hawthorn clearly thought Buddy was best available at pick 2, but knew Richmond would not select him at pick 3. so they took Roughead at pick 2 and buddy at pick 4. That was good strategic drafting. Same principle applies to the Eagles example. I remember eagles fans at the time saying they expected to take Allen at 13.
Either way I don’t really care what you think - you probably still think I’m a Collingwood troll, and seem to be constantly looking for an argument.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back