Are there other teams?
Finals are won by big game players and we have a few-

Wines- multiple goals in 4 finals
Gray- 4 goals in a quarter in the 2014 SF v Freeo; 3 goals in a prelim
Boak- twice more than 30 possessions in the 2014 Finals series
Ebert- 24 possessions in an away final
Westhoff- multiple goals in two finals
Hartlett- 33 possessions in a final
Motlop- 25 possessions in a final (against us)
Dixon- 3 goals, lots of contested marks and BOG in his only final
SPP- in the best players in his only final

Since our last final we have lost Wingard and Polec but gained Butters, Duursma, Rozee, Motlop, Rockliff and have recently had Byrne-Jones and Jonas confirmed as All Australians.

So who are the players who will make the difference if we are to get up on Thursday? Pick your 6 players to feature in the best players.

Yeah Robbie Gray is coming into form at the perfect time. Boak and Wines are the other two for me. Wines kicked some great goals in the 2013 and 2014 finals series.

Ive gone:

Wines- his record in finals is superb
Hartlett- his season has built to this nicely
Powell-Pepper- is needed to do a job on Clangerfield when he plays midfield
Rockliff- built for finals
Jonas- penedos to do a job on Hawkins either as his direct opponent or as second up
Dixon- if he was a racehorse his first up finals start would have him short odds for this one

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Our midfield was s**t house for 1.5 quarters against WCE in 2017 EF and then Charlie grabbed the game by the scruff of its neck, but had to do so much work he was fatigued and it affected his kicking for goal.

But he did have one great set shot for goal which he launched from about 53m out in the second quarter and was on line, but his stupid ******* tall teammates in the goal square didn't position themselves properly and let Vardy get a hand to the ball and it was touched thru. That didn't require big game players, just basic u/10 footy smarts.

The midfield can't perform like that again this October.

To be any chance of winning the flag, our midfield needs to continue their strong form, and can't have an off quarter or half. The combo is finally working well, and we especially need Boak, Wines and Rocky to continue their form of the last few weeks. A goal or two between them per game would be really handy too - and they've all popped up at various times over the last few weeks.

As for stepping up, I think that has Robbie, Butters and Dixon written all over it. Butters could tear a game apart and seems made for it, and I can see a Robbie burst of several goals in a quarter swinging the momentum our way - or in his older age, it might be a burst of goal assists. The real question is Charlie, and using him correctly. He doesn't need to dominate like he did in 2017 - although that would be great - but taking his chances, especially getting on the board early, gives him and the whole team belief.

When you consider that our 2013/14 finals campaigns included O’Shea, Logan, Broadbent, Lobbe, Colquhoun, Pittard, Moore and Neade- none of whom would make this side- and 2017 included Bonner, Pittard, Neade, S.Gray, a pre-2018 Amon and a teenage Todd Marshall, it is easy to see that we are much better prepared this time around. A legitimate case can be made for anyone in our 22 having a major influence on the game.

Our bottom 5 players this time around probably are McKenzie, Motlop, Ebert, a 22 year old Marshall and Ladhams- two of whom have performed to a high standard in finals.

We need one of these 5 to have a really good game and one of Rozee, Butters or Duursma to turn it on, and we will be half way there.

Robbie Gray is the trump card. If he can dish up what he did V Collingwood for the next 3-4 games, we may well win it all.

Wines will be absolutely crucial to any success, especially Vs Geelong whose intensity inside the contest has blown us and Brisbane away this year.

Outside of that the next big key is Jonas and Clurey playing well. Stop Brisbane getting massive bursts of goals, stop Hawkins at the Cats and keep Lynch/Riewoldt or Kennedy/Darling quiet, and we'll be in a very good spot.

To be fair though, that Brisbane concern isn't just on the key backs, they've destroyed us at ground level and in the air the last 3 times we've played. It becomes like a tsunami of goals coming from all their forwards and our whole defence needs to find a way to slow/stop that.

If we were to win the GF I'd just about put my house on Robbie being the norm smith medalist.

The midfield guys and 2 forwards have to deliver big time if we are to win 3 games in a row. the rest have to be solid contributors.
I have faith in the combo of Boak, Gray, Rocky, and Wines performing consistently in finals.

I have concerns whether Dixon will fire consistently, and have no faith in the other key forwards firing a shot. Concerning.

Edit: for that reason I think if Marshall steps up to the plate, we win. Will be very hard to win the premiership with him at his current level.

Back