Player Watch #39 Mate Colina

Jun 2, 2012
Ballarat
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Everton
Maric was one of the best things to happen to us. The gift that keeps giving.
Great shout, he doesn’t get a lot of credit from the public but I’m sure it’s no coincidence how much development we’ve seen from Soldo, Chol and CCJ in recent years.

Balta to keep Hawkins goalless and old Mate to kick six at the other end. best

Just a matter of a few strides, not unrealistic....😉

May 17, 2004
Punt Rd ‘17? ‘19?
AFL Club
Richmond
Apart from Soccer you should have a look at the other sports Croatians dominate. Some athletic beast. Water Polo and Hand Ball are other sports which Croatians are proud of and do extremely well.
Tennis , Goran Ivanisecic with huge serve was a, great player , quite a character , reg top 5 for years

So how many Croatian supporting Tigers are there actually here on Bigfooty.

Seems to be a few.

I was thinking about creating a poll ... my father is Croatian (mother is Australian of Irish/ Scottish background)

Last edited:

Vassp

Premiership Player
Jun 30, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
The last sentence speaks for itself.

Balta's influence at Tigerland doesn't end there. Richmond recently signed his cousin, 213cm college basketballer Mate Colina, as a category B rookie. He's excited to be joined at the club by Colina, who will be the tallest player ever on an AFL list.

"He played younger with me but he's stuck with basketball and I've stuck with footy. He's over in Hawaii doing basketball at the moment and he's got an offer here so I'm so stoked that he's coming," he said.

"If he can learn a bit of the body work, he's just so strong and powerful and he's pretty fast for a big man as well. He's going to be hard to stop."

4tune8

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 31, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
If the seppo basketball gets cancelled again

Can we get him next season?
From what I've read he's joining the club in March after fulfilling his contract in Hawaii. If he came over and got a pre-season under his belt maybe. Next year will be a development season and maybe the year after, by the sound of things though he's going to be a weapon

3.01 20mtr sprint
7.98 Agility
82cm Leap
24.17 - 6 x 30mtr sprint
14.6 beep test
3klm 10.21

You are way too hard on him ;)
Where did you get these figures. Like others I call bullshit. 7 footer running 3.01 20 mtr, don't think so.

Roksman

Premiership Player
Feb 12, 2012
AFL Club
Richmond
I rarely have mail, but when it comes to the Croatians, I can assist

Admittedly, it looks like he's joining sooner than I was told.
Thought I'd share an update.

He's no guarantee to play AFL despite signing with us.

NBA is obviously an extreme longshot but he will also explore Euro League basketball before committing to AFL, it's by no means a done deal.

Basketball is still priority #1 for him, so we shouldn't be offloading players like CCJ just in case this falls through.

Back