Expansion 3rd Western Australian club

Remove this Banner Ad

A long line of incompetence and running away from their own heritage. Going off a sourced statement from Wikipedia, the WAFC deliberately tried to avoid any South or East Fremantle people being involved, because they wanted the club to appeal to people outside Fremantle too. This resulted in them being run by hockey players, politicians and Cameron Schwab, who you might recall had already been mediocre at Richmond. And as mentioned above, the coach and captain were from Claremont.

To this day I don't think they've had a single coach from South or East, and I think Bell is the first administrator to be from one of those clubs. And now they're based in Cockburn and chose to align with Peel Thunder over either South or East. So it seems to me they've never really had a big connection with the Fremantle identity outside of playing at Fremantle Oval. Ironically the Eagles probably had a bigger influence from South and East (John Todd, Worsfold, Mainwaring, Sumich, Matera, Jakovich).

Cockburn is smack bang in the middle of South Freo's zone. Its well and truly on the way of becoming the central hub of south metropolitan Perth.

How did they go from the WA version of pies vs blues, to the WA version of North?

The Eagles got in first & the likes of Worsfold, Jako, Suma, the Matera brothers brought the culture with them.

As for the WA version of North, Freo have achieved more than the Ds, who are the ones bouncing along the bottom.

As an Eagles supporter I have been disappointed Freo havent been able to sustain success on field.

The Eagles got in first & the likes of Worsfold, Jako, Suma, the Matera brothers brought the culture with them.

As for the WA version of North, Freo have achieved more than the Ds, who are the ones bouncing along the bottom.

As an Eagles supporter I have been disappointed Freo havent been able to sustain success on field.

jokes aside, i thought they would kill it because they have a historic footy culture unlike the eagles.

both the eagles and crows however showed the power that comes with being set up as the "state" team

set up as the "state" team

:thumbsu: sadly the uninformed see that as the State of Origin team.

Going first & wearing the expectation of success of a heartland footy State brings its own challenges & the Eagles have been up to it. Being in their shadow hasnt been easy for Freo & like any number of clubs they have battled.

Interesting, but it isn't Fremantle, and there was never a big culture transfer from South (or East) Fremantle to the Dockers, that was my point.

That culture was already in the kids who formed the backbone of the Eagles early success, Woosha was captain of the 1985 U18 WA side, was a member of the first Eagles squad, won the 1988 eagles B&F & Jako played Origin footy whilst playing at South.
The role of Ron Alexander & his East Freo heritage should not be understated in his time at the Eagles.

First up here is Perths estimated population for 2020-
Perth's 2020 population is now estimated at 2,041,959. In 1950, the population of Perth was 310,759. Perth has grown by 147,713 since 2015, which represents a 1.51% annual change.
Secondly -The Eagles are now reporting a membership of 100,000 odd putting them up with the giant of Victoria - Richmond.
We can only ponder how big they will get -Will they get too big or will market demand keep driving them up and it appears Optus constraints of 60,000 having no effect at all. I find that very interesting.
The Dockers are on about I think 60,000 so if they get to 100,000 is it time for a third club - Just speculating on the thread topic.

The Eagles are now reporting a membership of 100,000 odd putting them up with the giant of Victoria - Richmond. We can only ponder how big they will get -Will they get too big or will market demand keep driving them up and it appears Optus constraints of 60,000 having no effect at all. I find that very interesting.The Dockers are on about I think 60,000 so if they get to 100,000 is it time for a third club - Just speculating on the thread topic.

That's the technical analysis, but what's wrong with having two resident AFL giants.
In the USA they're lucky if they even get the one NFL team despite having the population etc.

First up here is Perths estimated population for 2020-
Perth's 2020 population is now estimated at 2,041,959. In 1950, the population of Perth was 310,759. Perth has grown by 147,713 since 2015, which represents a 1.51% annual change.
Secondly -The Eagles are now reporting a membership of 100,000 odd putting them up with the giant of Victoria - Richmond.
We can only ponder how big they will get -Will they get too big or will market demand keep driving them up and it appears Optus constraints of 60,000 having no effect at all. I find that very interesting.
The Dockers are on about I think 60,000 so if they get to 100,000 is it time for a third club - Just speculating on the thread topic.

Its the second biggest AF market in the world, it will have more than 2 teams at some point and it will be another money making venture in time for the WAFC.

I did hear yesterday that the mining conglomerates are pushing for FIFO workers to be all WA based - which in reality means Perth.

Another boom will come - and the population will rise substantially.

Its the second biggest AF market in the world, it will have more than 2 teams at some point and it will be another money making venture in time for the WAFC.

I did hear yesterday that the mining conglomerates are pushing for FIFO workers to be all WA based - which in reality means Perth.

Another boom will come - and the population will rise substantially.
Thats right and maybe those same workers and families and returning WA people are starting to move into Perth and its surrounds. Landlords renting property here are reporting up to a dozen people looking to rent each property and house sales on the increase.
The only thing keeping Perth Airport running is the FIFO flights up North each day, with 60,000 FIFO workers currently involved across the WA mines.
The Premier has been pushing this idea since the middle of the year and they must do the quarantine thing as well it seems.

Thats right and maybe those same workers and families and returning WA people are starting to move into Perth and its surrounds. Landlords renting property here are reporting up to a dozen people looking to rent each property and house sales on the increase.
The only thing keeping Perth Airport running is the FIFO flights up North each day, with 60,000 FIFO workers currently involved across the WA mines.
The Premier has been pushing this idea since the middle of the year and they must do the quarantine thing as well it seems.

I have a daughter living up North ATM who had trouble renting her house at Yanchep - no such trouble now, so things change when you least expect them

I reckon there is demand for a team where you can pay $25 and walk up and watch the AFL and sit with your friends. You know. Like in melbourne.
Yeah good luck with that in WA. I can justify paying $30 to go to an AFL game. $50-$60? Nah you are having a laugh.

I rather go to a game in the SANFL with a $20 note. Pay $8 to get in. Pay $2-3 for a sausage with bread. Buy a can of beer for $5 and still have change left

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Has Qantas paid it's airport dues?
Qantas is wanting a resumption of air traffic but it cannot think past the East coast.
Why isn't there a Perth - Tasmania flight?
Why isn't W.A. flooded with flight options?

Yeah good luck with that in WA. I can justify paying $30 to go to an AFL game. $50-$60? Nah you are having a laugh.

I rather go to a game in the SANFL with a $20 note. Pay $8 to get in. Pay $2-3 for a sausage with bread. Buy a can of beer for $5 and still have change left

Listen to the coach at 1/4 time and have a kick, i much prefer to what is basically now quite a sterile PC atmosphere at many AFL games.

Has Qantas paid it's airport dues?
Qantas is wanting a resumption of air traffic but it cannot think past the East coast.
Why isn't there a Perth - Tasmania flight?
Why isn't W.A. flooded with flight options?

Tasmania is locked to even WA unless you're a fifo worker (and then you have to 14 day quarantine)

Also isnt WA still banning anyone from returning unless they are a worker/carer/etc (asking this, not sure if this has recently changed)? is this is the case, who would go to Tassie for a holiday if you cannot return home?

Tasmania is locked to even WA.

Yes, but we don't hear Qantas putting a case forward for a "bubble".
We do hear our great leaders saying the W.A. border should open,
but that's only to pillage tourists from W.A. not to bring (the bulk of) tourists to W.A.
The federal government has no plans for tourists to visit W.A.
W.A. was proposed only 2% of federal tourist funding and of course Qantas has so little respect for W.A.
that it doesn't pay it's Perth Airport fees.

Yes, but we don't hear Qantas putting a case forward for a "bubble".
We do hear our great leaders saying the W.A. border should open,
but that's only to pillage tourists from W.A. not to bring (the bulk of) tourists to W.A.
The federal government has no plans for tourists to visit W.A.
W.A. was proposed only 2% of federal tourist funding and of course Qantas has so little respect for W.A.
that it doesn't pay it's Perth Airport fees.

what media have you been reading? QANTAS has been banging on about all state borders (outside Victoria) being dropped for weeks now

the only reason attention is focused on QLD is the upcoming election

Tassie, SA, NT are being ignored as much as you - and be grateful. do you really want the feds attacking your state on a daily basis demanding you remove all border controls?

QANTAS has been banging on about all state borders (outside Victoria) being dropped for weeks now

Nothing about W.A.

Tassie, SA, NT are being ignored as much as you ?

No. Qantas and Tourism Australia always mention Uluru and Kakadu

do you really want the feds attacking your state on a daily basis demanding you remove all border controls?

No. if you read my post properly, I suggest Qantas think outside of their current thinking and open new routes
to reduce the effects of the downturn in air travel.

Nothing about W.A.

No. Qantas and Tourism Australia always mention Uluru and Kakadu

No. if you read my post properly, I suggest Qantas think outside of their current thinking and open new routes
to reduce the effects of the downturn in air travel.

dude im in lockdown central, and even i have heard Joyce demanding all borders except Victoria be opened. you need to drop your victim mentality, not everything is a vicco conspiracy against wa (esp as qantas is a nsw company)

dude im in lockdown central, and even i have heard Joyce demanding all borders except Victoria be opened.

Yes. So when have you heard him mention anything but the usual suspects?

you need to drop your victim mentality,

Because I would like to fly direct to Tasmania?

you need to drop your victim mentality, not everything is a vicco conspiracy against wa.

You need to drop your victim mentality, not everything is a anti-vicci conspiracy.
You are the only person to mention Victoria and Qantas is a stock market company so it's anybody's not Australian
and it doesn't service large parts of Australia.

Yes. So when have you heard him mention anything but the usual suspects?

Because I would like to fly direct to Tasmania?

You need to drop your victim mentality, not everything is a anti-vicci conspiracy.
You are the only person to mention Victoria and Qantas is a stock market company so it's anybody's not Australian
and it doesn't service large parts of Australia.

it doesnt because the nation is effectively shutdown

you cant expect WA to be behind a border wall that allows SFA in, and then bitch that QANTAS isnt flying a tonne of empty planes

it doesnt because the nation is effectively shutdown

Victoria isn't a nation.

you cant expect WA to be behind a border wall that allows SFA in, and then b*tch that QANTAS isnt flying a tonne of empty planes

Do you have any rationale at all. W.A. has a border to protect it from infected states.
Now, again read what i said. I asked why wasn't there air routes between states that weren't infected.
The federal government is talking about bubbles - with N.Z.
Absolutely no wise men from the East have proposed any more expedient bubbles - W.A., S.A. N.T. and Tasmania.
Absolutely no wise men from the East have plans for tourism in the West - only 2% budget.

Victoria isn't a nation.

Do you have any rationale at all. W.A. has a border to protect it from infected states.
Now, again read what i said. I asked why wasn't there air routes between states that weren't infected.
The federal government is talking about bubbles - with N.Z.
Absolutely no wise men from the East have proposed any more expedient bubbles - W.A., S.A. N.T. and Tasmania.
Absolutely no wise men from the East have plans for tourism in the West - only 2% budget.

its locked down for travel

noone can enter wa without an exemption, so that means SFA people are flying in and out of Perth. Tassie is still banning everyone except workers

WA doesnt want a bubble with any other states, and neither does tassie or qld. NSW has been begging for them, and vic has no say

wa is at fault as any other state, get over yourself

Remove this Banner Ad

Back