Bluemour Melting Pot XXIV

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are we at all a chance for Merrett in 2020?
I would highly doubt it. The only way I could see it happening is if he went to them In the strongest possible terms and said hell or high water he’s out of the club this year or next, nominated us and we had two firsts on the table.

I guess there’s a realm of possibility where * look at that and decide the compo is worth more than the one pick they’d get as RFA compo - but that’s exactly the scenario they had with Daniher last year and they kept the player.

Considering the state of the place they’re just not going to allow the floodgates to open in that way. Look at the Saad situation - they’re desperate.

I’m getting worried b70 has left us. Has his account been active ? What is happening?
Was active 49 mins ago viewing Jack Gunston UFA 2022 thread, not that I am keeping tabs on him or stalking him or anything like that.....

Is Gunston a chance to move as a pre agent ??

Last edited:

I’m getting worried b70 has left us. Has his account been active ? What is happening?
I checked his postings a while ago. It's strange. He's kept his account, but deleted the last 2 years worth of posts.

Maybe he's gone for good and wanted to delete the info he gave up?

Maybe he comes back? I dunno.

Last year I think he said he was going to pull the pin because of some ungrateful posters

Not worthy of posting in the Bluemour file but I did hear last week from a mate who knows people who know Saad and apparently he was holding out for 5 years at the Bombers, which is in line with what others have been saying and hearing.

I checked his postings a while ago. It's strange. He's kept his account, but deleted the last 2 years worth of posts.

Last year I think he said he was going to pull the pin because of some ungrateful posters
Doesn’t sound like good news.😣

Not worthy of posting in the Bluemour file but I did hear last week from a mate who knows people who know Saad and apparently he was holding out for 5 years at the Bombers, which is in line with what others have been saying and hearing.
Reports coming in now that he has been offered 5 Years at the Bombers too. Here’s hoping he turns it down for Carltons offer.. can’t imagine Essendon having a genuine tilt in the next 3-4 years.

Threatened to do it but didn't, thankfully. Enough people backed him in I think we outweighed the negative pricks enough to keep him around. This time. Next time maybe not

I disagree completely. Pick 7 to us with a list full of first round picks many who can’t get a game means absolutely nothing. Especially in this draft.

If pick 7 is used to get us a player who comes in and absolutely gives us a point of difference and something which we don’t have (line breaking speed off half back) then it’s a no brainer. The guy is durable, he is consistent, which is why he’s finished top four in his best and fairest in his last three seasons, and most of all he compliments our other quality half back flanker being Docherty perfectly.
Just because
I disagree completely. Pick 7 to us with a list full of first round picks many who can’t get a game means absolutely nothing. Especially in this draft.

If pick 7 is used to get us a player who comes in and absolutely gives us a point of difference and something which we don’t have (line breaking speed off half back) then it’s a no brainer. The guy is durable, he is consistent, which is why he’s finished top four in his best and fairest in his last three seasons, and most of all he compliments our other quality half back flanker being Docherty perfectly.
How is voluntarily paying roughly double his value a good call?

I’m not opposed to going after him at all, but the choice to deliberately overpay by a huge margin is baffling.

Why not split 7 into two late firsts or a late first and early second? If one of those would get it done, wouldn’t that be a better move? Use the second pick to go after another similarly valued best 22 player.

Or get Saad and take the other pick to the draft, it’s basically a free hit when compared with your ‘trade 7 for Saad’ plan.

I just can’t fathom how paying overs in such a significant manner could be seen as good list management. The only positive is that * might see it as such a big win that it keep Dodo in his job for another decade...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

But why would he want to stay there? They have been touted as being on moving up the ladder for the past 3 years and look at where they are now.
As for the current coach he has, in fact, been coaching the team for the past year and look at where they are now.

Essendon is in turmoil. They are almost certain to lose Daniher and they have a number of disgruntled senior players.

By contrast there is an atmosphere of justifiable optimism at Carlton which arises out of all the hard work done by all during the re-build from 2015.

Why stay at Essendon if you are Saad?

I hope they hold him. It’s gonna cut into their cap space and keep them in mediocrity for another 3-5 years. The more they make these stupid decisions the better off everyone else is. They’re rubbish. Dodo thinks he’s drafted a better team than he has and the board back him. Let them do what they do I love watching them suffer thinking they’re better than they are. It gives me no end of joy. Saad wants to come to us great here’s your offer. * offer more and he stays even better their issue then. Be great running out of half of back like a headless chook and kicking it to Hooker

Are we at all a chance for Merrett in 2020?
I don't think the bombers can afford to loose him.
If they don't want Saad to leave, they sure as s**t don't want Merrett to leave.
Can't see them losing both in one off-season.
They will demand some awesome young talent in return otherwise

Just because

How is voluntarily paying roughly double his value a good call?

I’m not opposed to going after him at all, but the choice to deliberately overpay by a huge margin is baffling.

Why not split 7 into two late firsts or a late first and early second? If one of those would get it done, wouldn’t that be a better move? Use the second pick to go after another similarly valued best 22 player.

Or get Saad and take the other pick to the draft, it’s basically a free hit when compared with your ‘trade 7 for Saad’ plan.

I just can’t fathom how paying overs in such a significant manner could be seen as good list management. The only positive is that * might see it as such a big win that it keep Dodo in his job for another decade...

So you agree pick 7 needs to be part of it? That’s all I’m saying... trade it down, package it up do what needs to happen but that pick will be gone as part of the Saad deal if he decides he wants out and to Carlton. And it’s absolutely worth it

Wonder if his inside connection was SOS? Would explain the lack of info this year, but either way b70 if you’re out there we miss you and want you back.. pretty please! 😁

Club confident that both Cripps and McKay will sign new deals this off season. Just waiting on specifics from AFL house regarding list and cap sizes.

This was reported in the news 2 days ago.

Last edited:
So you agree pick 7 needs to be part of it? That’s all I’m saying... trade it down, package it up do what needs to happen but that pick will be gone as part of the Saad deal if he decides he wants out and to Carlton. And it’s absolutely worth it
I don’t think 7 has to be involved. It could be, and Dodo probably starts proceedings by asking for it straight up, but I don’t think it necessarily needs to be involved.

The other thing is we know he loves to drag everything out until the dying minutes (gotta get himself as much screen time as possible), so I’d be taking the approach of not letting that potential deal get in the way of anything else we want to do.

Work with the other clubs, if old mate wants to be stubborn and try and demand too much, especially for an OOC player, then tough luck buddy, we’ve already used that pick 7 on someone else, how does our 2nd sound?

Kind of what StK did last year when Freo were holding out for their first for Hill, saints went and traded it and got other deals done, in the end Freo had to come to the party. Not that they were screwed over in the end, but it felt like the power shifted, and Saints didn’t miss their other targets because they were arguing with Peter Bell & co.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back