Perfect long term relationships that go sour

PatrickBateman

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 8, 2008
Cartagena, Colombia
AFL Club
Geelong
If you truly believe that then you'll never be able to give it all to get it

That's Hollywood and Hallmark cards talking. I've had enough relationships, and have observed enough of other people's to know how it works. Yes, many relationships work, most don't. Fact. Add all the unhappy marriages / relationships who don't separate (heaps) to the 40% or so divorce rate, the odds are hard against you.

"Australia’s divorce rate looks set to skyrocket as coronavirus restrictions and ongoing job losses push struggling relationships over the edge.
Google searches for the term ‘divorce’ surged to their highest point in 12 months at the end of June, surpassing the usual spike after Christmas and new year."

'Love' doesn't save all the relationship breakdown during economic downturn, which we're yet to feel the brunt of. Why? It's not about love.

What's money/security got to do with love?

Clearly you don't know too much about women...

Women are hypergamous, it's biology.

Love is a word with no meaning. In a relationship sense, people often just use it to get what they want, men and women.

Aug 13, 2007
Vancouver
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Oilers
That's Hollywood and Hallmark cards talking. I've had enough relationships, and have observed enough of other people's to know how it works. Yes, many relationships work, most don't. Fact. Add all the unhappy marriages / relationships who don't separate (heaps) to the 40% or so divorce rate, the odds are hard against you.

"Australia’s divorce rate looks set to skyrocket as coronavirus restrictions and ongoing job losses push struggling relationships over the edge.
Google searches for the term ‘divorce’ surged to their highest point in 12 months at the end of June, surpassing the usual spike after Christmas and new year."

'Love' doesn't save all the relationship breakdown during economic downturn, which we're yet to feel the brunt of. Why? It's not about love.

Clearly you don't know too much about women...

Women are hypergamous, it's biology.

Love is a word with no meaning. In a relationship sense, people often just use it to get what they want, men and women.

You've had plenty of relationships but never felt love? Even if not for a romantic partner, for a child, parents etc? Love has plenty of meaning. It isn't everything as you've mentioned, and other factors can end a marriage even if there is plenty of love. Being head over heals for each other constantly for 50-60 years doesn't happen. It ebbs and flows with a lot of work in between.

You are mostly likely correct in that most don't 'work out'. Depends that that means though. You could have a few very happy relationships throughout your life. Just because they didn't end in dying of old age together doesn't mean it's failed.

PatrickBateman

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 8, 2008
Cartagena, Colombia
AFL Club
Geelong
You've had plenty of relationships but never felt love? Even if not for a romantic partner, for a child, parents etc? Love has plenty of meaning. It isn't everything as you've mentioned, and other factors can end a marriage even if there is plenty of love. Being head over heals for each other constantly for 50-60 years doesn't happen. It ebbs and flows with a lot of work in between.

You're too invested in the word 'love', like most people. I have what you would consider loving relationships with my family, yes. And have had so with partners.

Look at the other side of the coin, 'love' is used back and forth by people who do the most disgusting, horrible, hateful things to each other, daily. And save me the 'oh, that's not real love' call... Well, to them it is. There is no definition. As I said, it's used in order for people to get what they want, whether it be comfort, security, money, whatever...

You are mostly likely correct in that most don't 'work out'. Depends that that means though. You could have a few very happy relationships throughout your life. Just because they didn't end in dying of old age together doesn't mean it's failed.

How about the scenario of a male losing his security / money for each of these 'very happy relationships throughout your life' that end? You may be happy being left with nothing once it's all done, I'm not. I can get what I want from women without having to put what I work hard for on the table, in the risk it's stolen by the courts and given to someone who never deserved it.

Jesse Custer

Cancelled
10k Posts
May 28, 2008
Melwood
AFL Club
Essendon
Fair enough. A woman could say the same I guess. Rare these days that the male owns everything and has all the money. Both sides are usually vested.
She could. But she doesn't have to contend with the lopsided court system. Plus most of them in that position are so heavily in debt and at the end of child bearing age.

Oct 20, 2004
Brisbane
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Pompey
Women "love" your resources and what you can offer them. They don't love you the person. Once you stop giving them the resources or they realise you're not going to they're swinging over to the next bloke. That is reality today.
That's the most cynical point of view I've read for quite a while. Luckily, it's not been true in my experience.

Oct 20, 2004
Brisbane
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Pompey
It hasn't happened to me either because i was careful, but ive seen it happen to friends and family.

Hopefully it never happens to you.
I have no doubt that people like that exist, but it doesn't mean that All Women are like that. It's not a tag I'd apply to my Mum or my sister, it's not one I'd apply to my exes, it's not one I'd apply to my female friends, or, luckily, my partner.

Bomberboyokay

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Sep 27, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Thread needs a MRA/MGTOW/"Is Trump really that bad?" post to complete its descent.
just red pill it

A red pill is a person who is purported to have woken up to the fact that society discriminates against men, not women; to red pill is to do the same. The term is a reference to the film The Matrix (1999)[5][114] in which taking the blue pill means remaining the part of the sheeple and thinking nothing is wrong.[115] The term is used among the more militantly misogynistic and conspiracy theorist manosphere groups.

The concept of "red pilling" is also applied in other contexts where there is believed to be some important "truth" (i.e., a conspiracy theory) that the sheeple are oblivious to (e.g. "red pill me on 9/11"). It has been co-opted by flat Earthers, particularly on Daily Plane.[116]

This term is also frequently used by proponents of "race realism", who coincidentally wish for a more traditional way of life. In most cases, this requires thinking that feminism and multiculturalism is the new status quo, and it's the traditional values that are subversive. That way, you can act like a bigot and still feel like you're speaking truth to power.

The earliest known usage of "red pill" for "right-wing enlightenment" is by neoreactionary "Mencius Moldbug" (Curtis Yarvin
Wikipedia
) in April 2007.[117] The first use found in relation to pickup artistry was in September 2007;[118] it gained currency with pickup artists in 2009 and 2010.

It is particularly hilarious that organised misogynists and reactionaries have wholeheartedly embraced a term from a movie, written and directed by two transgender women, in which a African American male and a strong, white female convince a 'white' male (played by multi-ethnic Keanu Reeves) to fight subjugation.

mr bagcroft

Norm Smith Medallist
May 19, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
I have no doubt that people like that exist, but it doesn't mean that All Women are like that. It's not a tag I'd apply to my Mum or my sister, it's not one I'd apply to my exes, it's not one I'd apply to my female friends, or, luckily, my partner.
lol, ok, it musnt exist then.
It exists alright, just thankfully you have benn ok.

ash_1050

Premiership Player
Nov 21, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Melbourne Victory and Arsenal
Women "love" your resources and what you can offer them. They don't love you the person. Once you stop giving them the resources or they realise you're not going to they're swinging over to the next bloke. That is reality today.

Jesus christ, I'd hate to see your opinions on other aspects of life, what a sad perspective to have.

PatrickBateman

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 8, 2008
Cartagena, Colombia
AFL Club
Geelong
Jesus christ, I'd hate to see your opinions on other aspects of life, what a sad perspective to have.

There's a good chance he's a little more realistic than yourself.

Love what's sold to everyone through media, film, music, etc. The reality is that relationships are transactional. I do agree, it's sad. What's more sad is that people pretend it isn't the case.

Same.

/except for exes, i have not had gfs

Back