Golden State Warriors thread - All Star 5

May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
Yeah Jrue is top shelf, but I can't see how he's a priority...that's 100m or so tied up at the 1 and 2, with plenty of holes still to fill in the roster.

I'm thinking we at least go into the season with Wiggins. Try and find a quality swingman with the TPE, and a stretch big with the MLE.

I would like to see how the Wiggins thing goes with Steph and Klay, only issue is that he's not a great shooter. He's not Westbrook or anything, but he's not someone you can bank on to just space the floor and catch and shoot as a 3rd option if needed. Maybe he can be that guy but it remains to be seen. If you are going to play for the Warriors and make $30m a year you really need to deliver 20+ points a game in whatever role you are used in. Barnes as a 10 points, 5 rebounds a game player was fine because he was only on his rookie deal. And obviously getting KD for below market value at the same time the cap goes up is one time thing. Crazy that Wiggins and Embid are on identical contracts.

Dec 31, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Golden State Warriors,Chicago Bulls
So what are our priorities for the off season?

1. Legit 6 man. We need a reliable Iggy like pocket knife. Some scoring, some D, combo flexibility, can lead the bench or close out with the starters. I think this is most likely where we spend the TPE. Marcus Smart, Evan Fournier, Marcus Morris...bad fit with Paschall I suppose.

2. Centre. Chriss really a small ball 5 and Looney unreliable. Gasol for the MLE would be the dream. Punchable head aside, Olnyk for most of the TPE kind of works. Maybe Baynes is a smart MLE plan B.

3. Back up PG. Could be solved through the draft otherwise we are likely looking at vet min guys. Derrick White, Monte Morris ideal, more likely a DJ Augustin type.

4. Depth. Bring back GR3 and Alex Burks. The end.

Agree with getting back GR3/Burks

Both score off the bench, Burks can really heat up.

Feel like Lee/Bowman/Chriss can all contribute... not sure on Poole.

Look forward to Paschall being even better next year.

Like the idea of Ibaka over Gasol.

Thought Gasol looked old and slow in the playoffs, Ibaka was very good.

I can see where the Gasol idea comes from, we will need more than Looney/Chriss to combat the size of AD/Howard and even Javale, as well as Lebron as a point forward.

Agree we need a solid combo guard off the bench, Dennis Schroder would be nice.

Smart also, but Boston would be mad to move him. Dray and Smart playing D would be fun.

At least OKC are a chance to put the for sale sign out.

Seems to boil down to what we do with the Number 2 pick, add size through Wiseman, a wing if Edwards is still there or package it up.

Reports are we aren’t keen on Wiseman but who knows.

You would think we move the pick.

Trying to get my head around the TPE as seems like we have some good options in the link below.

Seems like a long time ago since our last game.

Current depth chart:

Curry/Bowman
Thompson/Lee/Poole/Mulder
Wiggins/Paschall
Green/Toscano-Anderson
Looney/Chriss/Smailegic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Kramer1

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 8, 2007
AFL Club
Carlton
Agree with getting back GR3/Burks

Both score off the bench, Burks can really heat up.

Feel like Lee/Bowman/Chriss can all contribute... not sure on Poole.

Look forward to Paschall being even better next year.

Like the idea of Ibaka over Gasol.

Thought Gasol looked old and slow in the playoffs, Ibaka was very good.

I can see where the Gasol idea comes from, we will need more than Looney/Chriss to combat the size of AD/Howard and even Javale, as well as Lebron as a point forward.

Agree we need a solid combo guard off the bench, Dennis Schroder would be nice.

Smart also, but Boston would be mad to move him. Dray and Smart playing D would be fun.

At least OKC are a chance to put the for sale sign out.

Seems to boil down to what we do with the Number 2 pick, add size through Wiseman, a wing if Edwards is still there or package it up.

Reports are we aren’t keen on Wiseman but who knows.

You would think we move the pick.

Trying to get my head around the TPE as seems like we have some good options in the link below.

Seems like a long time ago since our last game.

Current depth chart:

Curry/Bowman
Thompson/Lee/Poole/Mulder
Wiggins/Paschall
Green/Toscano-Anderson
Looney/Chriss/Smailegic.

Yeah I just figure Serge has played well above anything we can offer (without a Wiggins trade). Plus he's found a 3pt shot too. Would be ideal.

OKC and Spurs should be active sellers, maybe Rockets too, who knows what happen in Philly. Should be plenty of opportunity.

Dec 31, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Yeah I just figure Serge has played well above anything we can offer (without a Wiggins trade). Plus he's found a 3pt shot too. Would be ideal.

OKC and Spurs should be active sellers, maybe Rockets too, who knows what happen in Philly. Should be plenty of opportunity.

Spurs are interesting, Rudy Gay as a scorer off the bench or Patty Mills as a combo guard, an alternative option to Schroder.

Covington maybe?

Dec 31, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Thoughts on Montrezl Harrell? I thought he was a versatile big (that isn't that big) but he was ordinary in the playoffs.

Was owned by the Joker, but wasn’t the only one.

Struggled in the bubble, but more than a few struggled in the bubble.

His PnR partner Lou Will struggled also.

Apparently Toronto very keen on Harrell as a FA.

May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
I'd like to see the Warriors with a decent centre, but there aren't many value propositions around.

Whiteside was handy for the Blazers this year with Nurkic and Collins and Ariza all missing a lot of games but was on an expiring $27m deal. You wouldn't that for more than one year.

Dec 31, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
I'd like to see the Warriors with a decent centre, but there aren't many value propositions around.

Whiteside was handy for the Blazers this year with Nurkic and Collins and Ariza all missing a lot of games but was on an expiring $27m deal. You wouldn't that for more than one year.

Apparently we have an interest in Dwight Howard.

Seems to have accepted his role at the Lakers, would bring energy, shot blocking and offensive rebounding.

Similar to Javale.

Also weakens the Lakers

Jun 3, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
76ers

Aaron Baynes or is he still contracted to the suns?

Islanda22

Club Legend
Feb 11, 2014
Australia
AFL Club
Melbourne
Really hope the Warriors can atleast give Wiggins half a season to see if he can work well with Steph and Klay.

I am surprised how poorly rated he is by a lot of people in the media.

Draft Wiseman and the Warriors will be a contender once again with some MLE sigings off the bench

Curry, Klay, Wiggins, Dray, Wiseman
Poole, FA, Pascual, FA, Chriss

May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
I feel sorry for Wiggins. He's OK, just overpaid and has the spotlight of being a #1 pick on him. Averages 20 points a game and is alright at most things without being an elite shooter or an elite defender etc. If he was a former pick 15 that was on $20m a year he'd be ideal at GS.

May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
Main reason for moving Wiggins IMO is that with him the starting 5 is a 6'3'' point guard, twp 6'6'' guys, a 6'7'' guy and a 6'9'' centre.

Lakers play with LeBron as a 6'9'' point guard, Davis as a 6'10'' forward and have Dwight and McGee up their sleeves. Denver have 7'0'' Jokic and 6'10'' Porter. Utah have Gobert. In the East there's Bam, Giannis, Simmons, Embiid etc.

It's not Wiggins fault that he's not a big, and it's not his fault that Steph and Klay are HOF calibre players. If Wiggins was another Klay who scores 20+ a game shooting 40% from 3 without needing to handle the ball and a great defender then you'd say * it, small ball all the way. But for another 3 years of $30m is he worth it as a 3/4? I think they need to use his contract and pick 2 to get a good centre and a cheap scorer, or another good scored and a cheap centre.

Kramer1

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 8, 2007
AFL Club
Carlton
Credit to Lacob for spending the TPE...didn't see that coming.

Wiseman/Dray/Wiggins/Oubre/Stef will be fun to watch if nothing else.

Stef not getting many clean looks with this line up though...hopefully we can add GR3 for the vet min to help with spacing.

May 9, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
Felt so s**t yesterday. Been waiting for the start of this season since when Steph went down with the hand injury.

Actually was looking forward to this season more than any since before KD came.

Soul sapping.

Kramer1

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 8, 2007
AFL Club
Carlton
Players flying everywhere...for pretty generous dollars in most cases. We'll be fighting for scraps, and probably not attracting any ring chasers now. Though I see we have applied for Klay's disabled player exemption, so maybe somethign is cooking.

With Bowman cut we need a quality bench PG. Jeremy Lin? Jeff Teague? Reggie Jackson? Edit: Brad Wanamaker is our man apparently. Know SFA about him.

Some depth at SG. Austin Rivers? E'Twuan Moore? GR3 probably more of a SF but would fit off the bench. Korver got any juice left?

A mature big. Still heaps on the market. Ibaka, Gasol, Baynes, Nerlens Noel, Damarcus, Whiteside. Dedmon would be a great fit, but too rich for us.

Last edited:

Kramer1

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 8, 2007
AFL Club
Carlton
Wanamaker saw plenty of court time in the playoffs from the looks...seems solid.

Welcome back Baze. Not a sexy signing, but could do a lot worse for the vet min. Should have plenty of motivation to land another multi year deal somewhere.

If Ron Adams and Dray can get Wiggins head screwed on we have a pretty good trio of defensive wings.

Back