Club Mgmt. Board of Directors as led by President Dave Barham

Last edited:
I love Sheeds and believe he’d have a lot to offer at board level. However this reeks of desperation to appease the supporters as opposed to a carefully thought out process to recruit the best candidate possible for the available board seat.
It's backfired

Sep 12, 2003
under the table
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Not important
I get what you're saying and the cynic in me agrees, but honestly, I don't mind it & I'm kind of happy to see him back.
His kind of knowledge & experience is something I'd like to think we can utilise and hope we do.
I was more upset over Sean Wellman's ticket of 'I am a past Premiership player, that is all, so vote for me.'

Positive vibes from me.

Aug 21, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
I think it’s a great move. I don’t think it will be long term, but I think it’s important to have someone there who knows football, the club and understands the politics involved. From my understanding Brasher asked sheedy to join after Lio informed Brasher she’d be resigning. The next 2-3 years are critical to what happens to the club in the next 50 years. Do we wallow in mediocrity for half a century like Melbourne or do we finally move forward into a new era of success.

I get what you're saying and the cynic in me agrees, but honestly, I don't mind it & I'm kind of happy to see him back.
His kind of knowledge & experience is something I'd like to think we can utilise and hope we do.
I was more upset over Sean Wellman's ticket of 'I am a past Premiership player, that is all, so vote for me.'

Positive vibes from me.
You were more upset that someone put their hand up and ran for a member elected position then the club shoving someone in?

Aug 21, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
You were more upset that someone put their hand up and ran for a member elected position then the club shoving someone in?
It’s not just ‘someone’ the club is shoving in though. It’s sheedy, probably the most influential figure in the history of the club. I’d rather him be on the board than in marketing.

It’s not just ‘someone’ the club is shoving in though. It’s sheedy, probably the most influential figure in the history of the club. I’d rather him be on the board than in marketing.
Why? What has he done in the past decade to suggest he still should have any role? Runk post tickled me because Sheeds campaign will basically be "I'm Kevin Sheedy past premiership coach vote for me" except this time the clubs showed it's hand and openly told members to vote for him.

Its not even subtle.

Sep 12, 2003
under the table
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Not important
Looking back at that board election it rankled me that a board member like Paul Cousins should lose their spot because he wasn't a past player.
That said I'm still digesting the news and on my first coffee. Right now I think placing someone of Sheedy's ilk is a a good move.

Also NEVER claim I tickled you.

Ew.

i’m more concerned about what i’m supposed to do with all the vote Jmoo 2020 paraphernalia i’ve produced.
Have you got t-shirts? What size?

My social media.

But mike14 has indicated I'm wrong.
They do say that your social media tends to end up an echo chamber. Just seems like the kind of move the extremely vocal nuff nuff brigade would lap up.

Aug 21, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Why? What has he done in the past decade to suggest he still should have any role? Runk post tickled me because Sheeds campaign will basically be "I'm Kevin Sheedy past premiership coach vote for me" except this time the clubs showed it's hand and openly told members to vote for him.

Its not even subtle.
Well half the decade he was growing the game at gws and when he came back he was in the marketing department, he created the Country game which is now our 3rd ‘event game’ had something like 65k there last year. As I said I don’t think he’ll be a long term staple, rather there to help turn the ship and is someone who has dealt well with the coteries meddling in the past.

fairbump_playon

Premiership Player
Jun 27, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
If anything Sheedy on the board will be a magnet for coterie kings and queens who believe they have a special relationship with him.

Hopefully he can absorb and filter some of the bullsh*t attempts at influence that might otherwise have gone directly towards Rutten.

I think many of us are being reactionary about the whole "Essendon person" thing. There is room in a club to both respect and learn from our heritage and legendary figures - and to welcome new ideas. We should be aiming for a balance and when you look at key personnel, we are really not too far off that.

As for the shoehorning - I don't mind this move from the president. Let's face it, Sheedy would easily be elected. Given all the current uncertainty, now is a time to be decisive.

As far as the idea that appeasing the membership is the wrong thing to do... in actuality, it's a fundamental part of a president's job. He has to win and keep the membership satisfied with the way the club is managed. I think Sheedy's appointment probably ticks both boxes. The board is a place where his opinions will be heard - but will also be kept in check.

Meh.

I like Sheeds, I do, id love to sit down with him and listen to him speak about football, and I'm sure he would still be good for players to speak with to learn from so im not diminishing what he brings as a person.

But this is so Essendon as a club and even more so from Essendon fans.
Woosha was often slighted not just because of his failings but because he "wasnt Essendon". This fascination that people who were once successful at a certain time for the club would now suddenly translate to success now.
I expect it from fans, that's what fans are, they are stupid.
"James Hird, Matthew Lloyd, Tim Watson were stars for this club so if they were involved our culture would be good and we would win" is the sentiment from so many and I just cant understand how you can have powerful rich successful businessman revert to the mindset of a typical Essendon fan when trying to build a club.
Why Sheeds? why not any of the other brilliant administrators or sports people from around the country? Why not dip into the Olympic realm, or the other football codes, or tennis, or anything other than what has already been done before?

I shouldn't be shocked, but I also wont be shocked when we continue to be mediocre.

If it’s that unpopular with the members then he won’t get re-elected. In the mean time we get the benefit of his experience over the next 2 months before y’all vote him out by 10 votes to 12.

He’s replacing someone who effectively stitched up the voting process when she was elected the first time anyway. She’s one of the blitz candidates. Voting for the club board is a joke, and given the complaints we’ve had about experience and relevant qualifications I don’t think that’s particularly under question. It’s almost like the time those randoms from the motoring enthusiasts party got into the senate— and then they changed the voting rules.

FWIW I reckon this is why Robbo was sniffing around a month ago. Sheedy fobbed it off but mentioned he was talking to the board about this mentoring capacity and how it was hard to keep former players on the board out of his hair when he was coach.

I would guess that the mentoring would be more around messaging in a press conference more like political support basically. I don’t think it’d be about tactics and strategy.

It would be a great irony if he became the very thing he complained about.

Back