Remove this Banner Ad

Last edited:

the PILL

Club Legend
Jul 29, 2007
VICTORIA
AFL Club
Essendon
50/50 on it. He's a wiley old bugga that may just be able to close some of the glaring disconnect and gaps between the administration and football departments cohesion.

Or he could be quite detrimental setting us back with whacky and or out of date concepts leaving us in the wilderness longer.

It's hard to tell with this club these days being so desperate to be something yet heavily using propaganda in the pursuit to keep the $$$ rolling in on past legacies.

IggypopsTshirt

Cancelled
Jun 27, 2013
AFL Club
Essendon
Brasher on SEN just now has backed Dodoro and stated that our list (rough quote) “can stand up against any other list in the league”. Results say no. Last 6000 days without a finals win says no. And we’ve just brought Sheedy back. It’s ******* Groundhog Day.

Sep 29, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bayern Munich
Brasher on SEN just now has backed Dodoro and stated that our list (rough quote) “can stand up against any other list in the league”. Results say no. Last 6000 days without a finals win says no. And we’ve just brought Sheedy back. It’s ******* Groundhog Day.
Not what he said at all. You heard what you want to.

He said our list should fair better next year than they did year (not hard) and that he thinks a young core of Draper, Langford, Parish, McGrath and Ridley stands up to any other emerging core group in the comp.

Re Dodoro: he said he cant speak to Dodoros work in the first 4000 days of that drought (presumably because he wasnt on the board then) but since he has been there he thinks Dodoro has done well to build the list, particularly as we lost 2 years worth of draft picks.

I prefer this to the mooted role in the footy dept
Me too as long as it doesn't amount to the same thing.

I wonder how Ben Rutten really feels about it.

IggypopsTshirt

Cancelled
Jun 27, 2013
AFL Club
Essendon
Not what he said at all. You heard what you want to.

He said our list should fair better next year than they did year (not hard) and that he thinks a young core of Draper, Langford, Parish, McGrath and Ridley stands up to any other emerging core group in the comp.

Re Dodoro: he said he cant speak to Dodoros work in the first 4000 days of that drought (presumably because he wasnt on the board then) but since he has been there he thinks Dodoro has done well to build the list, particularly as we lost 2 years worth of draft picks.

Based on the results since 2004 I would hope Brasher has the ability to form some kind of conclusion with regard to the efficacy of Dodo’s performance of his role and his list builds.
Anyhoo....Fire the poddy up at 10:40, knackers.
Brasher speaks on Dodo:
“He’s has some outstanding picks *lists Parish, McGrath, Ridley, Draper, Langford* and goes on “I would put them up against the best talent in the competition”
There is an audible pause as Whateley digests what he’s just heard and stumbles awkwardly over the uncomfortable reality of his next question “And yet it’s that shocking figure of 5870 days since you’ve won a final. So the list that he’s built on numerous occasions hasn’t been able to win you a final”

All the best
:kissingheart:

Sep 22, 2011
Your girlfriend's dreams
AFL Club
Essendon
plus now we don’t have to pay him.

Brasher said this morning “the Board is the best place for Kevin, he won’t be involved in the day to day operations”.

You can’t tip out club legends, but this beats having him interfering too much.

Feels like Brasher has driven this, it’s honestly a fairly smart move.

Based on the results since 2004 I would hope Brasher has the ability to form some kind of conclusion with regard to the efficacy of Dodo’s performance of his role and his list builds.
Anyhoo....Fire the poddy up at 10:40, knackers.
Brasher speaks on Dodo:
“He’s has some outstanding picks *lists Parish, McGrath, Ridley, Draper, Langford* and goes on “I would put them up against the best talent in the competition”
There is an audible pause as Whateley digests what he’s just heard and stumbles awkwardly over the uncomfortable reality of his next question “And yet it’s that shocking figure of 5870 days since you’ve won a final. So the list that he’s built on numerous occasions hasn’t been able to win you a final”

All the best
:kissingheart:

What you originally said was
Brasher on SEN just now has backed Dodoro and stated that our list (rough quote) “can stand up against any other list in the league”.

What he really said, presuming your second crack is more accurate, is actually closer to what The Grizz said than your original 'rough quote'.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Towno78

Premiership Player
Nov 6, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
So Kevin Sheedy will be appointed to the board effective immediately, replacing Katie Lio and standing for re-election in December.

Does this stink to any one else? Replacing a member elected board member and doing it with someone the board knows can't be beaten in an election? Feels very classic Essendon insular move to me.
So you're annoyed he didn't have to be elected, yet acknowledge he won't lose an election.
Good to know.

IggypopsTshirt

Cancelled
Jun 27, 2013
AFL Club
Essendon
What you originally said was

What he really said, presuming your second crack is more accurate, is actually closer to what The Grizz said than your original 'rough quote'.
Semantics. Listen to the pod.Make it whatever you want to hear, mate. Brasher backs in Dodo and compares our guys to the best in the league. All despite the fact we’re s**t, have been s**t for 6000 days and we’re still too arrogant to do anything but stack the place with heroes, old boys and their sycophants. Whateley’s response to the Dodo backing was perfect. He was baffled by what he’d heard.

Last edited:

BrunoV

Brownlow Medallist
May 5, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
From what I can see there two equally compelling, and diametrically opposed, explanations for this decisions which I don't believe share a middle ground.

It's either the latest stupid move to appease supporters and coteries and deflect attention, probably coterie driven OR it's a smart and cynical ploy to sell a badly needed era of change (which will coincide with the loss of a lot of players we'd pinned out hops on) to coteries, who generally are a combination of too stupid and believing in their own hype to do anything remotely useful and who have not listened to anyone other than Sheedy for 40 years.

Unfortunately I lean to the former because of Sheedy's nature. He was always one to see the positives and he ended up deluding himself into the 2002 to 2006 disaster (which we're still trying to recover from). Well into his 60s I can't see him accepting that a midfield with 3 All-Australians needs a revamp, for example.

If it is the latter option, whoever has put it together belongs in Washington running political campaigns for the Democrats (who could use some competence to go with their usual conniving).

Last edited:

RearNaked

Premiership Player
Oct 4, 2011
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
TEAM MIR!!!!!!!!!
Didn’t he say something like this in his press conference when he got the sack ? Haha

Sep 29, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bayern Munich
Semantics. Listen to the pod.Make it whatever you want to hear, mate. Brasher backs in Dodo and compares our guys to the best in the league. All despite the fact we’re sh*t, have been sh*t for 6000 days and we’re still too arrogant to do anything but stack the place with heroes, old boys and their sycophants. Whateley’s response to the Dodo backing was perfect. He was baffled by what he’d heard.
Cant listen to the pod, not uploaded yet, or at least not on the link you provided. No matter thougj as i heard it live.
Dont know where you got your exact quote from but i reiterate, you heard what you want to hear.

He compared our young core talent to others in the league, not the whole list. He already said on field is number one priority.

I cant imagine coming out on national radio and scorching the earth by slamming everyone (previous board, Dodoro, Campbell, players) would be a good way to start his term. His private views and actions reportedly are far more abrasive and demanding of answers. If he has problems with how the club is run, he isnt going to air it all out on radio before he has a chance to fix it.

Semantics. Listen to the pod.Make it whatever you want to hear, mate. Brasher backs in Dodo and compares our guys to the best in the league. All despite the fact we’re sh*t, have been sh*t for 6000 days and we’re still too arrogant to do anything but stack the place with heroes, old boys and their sycophants. Whateley’s response to the Dodo backing was perfect. He was baffled by what he’d heard.
The difference between saying our whole list is as good as any other and that he would put our core group of young players up against the best talent in the competiton is not semantics.

ghostdog

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 18, 2008
gondawanaland
AFL Club
Essendon
Nope.
And I'm not eve saying that having Sheedy on the Board is necessarily a bad move (except that it is possible his voice will carry too much weight in the room), it's the way we've gone about it as you stated above, and the fact that instead of looking for something new or different we've gone with the simplest, populist option because "we are Essendon."

It's also funny that the announcement email states that Sheeds "won't be involved in day-to-day operations of the footy department," but he will be available in a mentoring capacity to Ben Rutten whenever Ben requires it." Surely mentoring the coach counts as being involved in footy department ops? We now have a situation where our Head Coach is being 'mentored' by a club legend who sits on the Board, meaning their is direct link between the two. Is Rutten meant to treat a Sheedy tip as a suggestion from a mentor or as direction from the Board?
That is actually a really s**t set up from Truck's end. Hopefully the arrangement is such that Sheeds doesn't talk football with Truck unless Truck wants/needs to. He needs to get a clear run at his own system and ideas free of interference from above.

ghostdog

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 18, 2008
gondawanaland
AFL Club
Essendon
If anything Sheedy on the board will be a magnet for coterie kings and queens who believe they have a special relationship with him.

Hopefully he can absorb and filter some of the bullsh*t attempts at influence that might otherwise have gone directly towards Rutten.

I think many of us are being reactionary about the whole "Essendon person" thing. There is room in a club to both respect and learn from our heritage and legendary figures - and to welcome new ideas. We should be aiming for a balance and when you look at key personnel, we are really not too far off that.

As for the shoehorning - I don't mind this move from the president. Let's face it, Sheedy would easily be elected. Given all the current uncertainty, now is a time to be decisive.

As far as the idea that appeasing the membership is the wrong thing to do... in actuality, it's a fundamental part of a president's job. He has to win and keep the membership satisfied with the way the club is managed. I think Sheedy's appointment probably ticks both boxes. The board is a place where his opinions will be heard - but will also be kept in check.
Agree. It's the fact that he was parachuted in that reeks, whether he was a shoe-in or not.

CBombers17

Premium Platinum
Jul 7, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
If they are attempting to clear up reporting lines at the club then I'm not sure how appointing Sheedy as a director combined with a 'mentor' role to Rutten achieves this.

Wellman already has the football department reporting to him directly apparently. Now the coach will be more or less reporting to a different director as well. Call it what you want if a director is charged with mentoring you that's more or less what it is (or at least very heavily weighted towards how the director wants to handle things). Think of how this move effects the CEO and Head of Football ? There is now another person influencing the coaches who also sits on the board that also decides on all their tenures - and he's not the director they report on football matters to...

Then add to that we have Brasher working at the club day to day as well.

Obviously it's just observation from long distance but I'm reading all this as loads more board involvment in the day to day operations at the club. These changes don't point to cleaner lines of reporting to me. They point to far more hierarchy and possible confusion as well as potentially even more outside interefence.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back