Play Nice 2020 Non AFL Admin, Crowds, Ratings, Participation etc thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Warringah vs Manly derby got 10k last year.

Is that supposed to impress?

Also I've noticed that the capacity of Manly Oval is 5,000

I guess those living outside of Sydney probably wouldn't know

When i lived in Sydney I was amazed at the lack of turnout for Sydney rugby compared to the WAFL and SANFL.
I used to wander down to Coogee and watch Randwick sometimes - what a joke of a ground.

Last edited:

Tell 'im he's dreaming.
Nothing stopping A-League clubs selling players overseas now.
So why isn't $40 million flowing into Australia right now from transfer fees?
1. Talent or lack thereof.
2. Short term contracts mean players can move to India and Bangladesh for free.
3. Did someone mention India and Bangladesh?
4. A top European club buying a young player from the Ajax Academy is one thing, but as if any of those clubs are going to view an A-League academy in the same light.
5. You would have to be the dumbest player agent in the world to sign your young, up and coming star to an A-League club on a long term deal without a quick and easy release clause if a Euro club comes knocking.
6. A club like Man City doesn't have to pay a cent for any young player coming through melbourne city - takes him for nothing - will onsell once he's in Europe.

Once again, tell 'im he's dreaming.

One thing people don't realise that on the ground, Union fares favourably to League in terms of Victorian particpation.

You have a dozen or so private schools playing it, and 20-25 senior clubs.

League has negligible school participation (less than 10 teams across public/private schools) and maybe 30 senior teams.

Different story with Storm having success and getting immense coverage since 1998 through its owners, but it hasn't significantly bridged it apart from Union, in large part because of historical ties to Union going back generations.

It is funny how that works, as it's the same in Perth, with union being much larger than league. Yet in the heartland of both games league dominated it.

There has to be more to it than that, as neither game has had a large playing base (at least over the last couple of decades), even in NSW and Qld.

No. The British Empire brought cricket and rugby to the world as they were the preferred sports of the the establishment
and were found in the schools that followed. In 1908 RL broke away from RU.
In England RU held sway over RL in the private schools but soccer overtook government schools.
In NSW and Qld, RU had been struggling against A.F. and had instigated bans on A.F. in enclosed grounds and in schools.
RL decimated RU in NSW and Qld from 1908 because it became professional and could attract the best players
and was now on a footing similar to A.F. elsewhere in Australia but not as deeply popular.
A.F. remained in the background in NSW and Qld,much larger than most people think untill television came along.
Television highlighted the dominant sports and pushed minor sports into the background.
A.F. and RL became stronger but RU grew weaker as it appeared progressively less on FTA television.
RU basically survives on that old RU school infrastructure. It really only has the one decent league that being in the northern suburbs of Sydney.
Only the large-scale immigration of Kiwis has altered the popular situation a little where they'll support RU over RL.
RU is dying because it can no longer connect the dots, that is, the Wallabies promoted local RU that kept local numbers up.
The poor form of the wallabies and the demise of super league has led to the demise of local RU.
Now covid19 is removing valuable sponsorship when it is most needed.
In Comparison, RL has the NRL which makes it popular in households and schools across NSW and Qld.
The NRL has it's problems and it's on the decline as well but it is starting from a much stronger position than RU.

Last edited:
No. the British Empire brought cricket and rugby to the world as they were the preferred sports of the the establishment
In England RU held sway over RL in the private schools but soccer overtook government schools.
In NSW and Qld, RU had been struggling against A.F. and had instigated bans on A.F. in enclosed grounds and in schools.
RL decimated RU in NSW and Qld from 1908 because it became professional and could attract the best players
and was now on a footing similar to A.F. elsewhere in Australia but not as deeply popular.
A.F. remained in the background,much larger than most people think untill television came along.
Television highlighted the dominant sports and pushed minor sports into the background.
A.F. and RL became stronger but RU grew weaker as it appeared progressively less on FTA television.
RU basically survives on that old RU school infrastructure. It really only has the one decent league that being in the northern suburbs of Sydney.
Only the large-scale immigration of Kiwis has altered the popular situation a little where they'll support RU over RL.
RU is dying because it can no longer connect the dots, that is, the Wallabies promoted local RU that kept local numbers up.
The poor form of the wallabies and the demise of super league has led to the demise of local RU.
In Comparison, RL has the NRL which makes it popular in households and schools across NSW and Qld.
The NRL has it's problems and it's on the decline as well but it is starting from a much stronger position than RU.
Good summary!

Another area where AFL wins in Queensland, is the amount of games on FTA. This is what got me, as I was a casual fan, supporting the Brisbane Lions, until I lost Foxtel and was watching more FTA TV. There are more FTA games of AF on TV in Queensland than RL and you get all Brisbane Lions/Gold Coast Suns game on FTA, regardless of when they are played. With RL you don't see the Broncos/Cowboys/Titans, unless they are in the FTA slots.

No. The British Empire brought cricket and rugby to the world as they were the preferred sports of the the establishment
A.F. remained in the background in NSW and Qld,much larger than most people think untill television came along.
Most of negativity comes from southern states where NRL gets little attention let alone Union. In Sydney Wallabies matches get double fta TV ratings of regular season swans games & against marquee opponents three times as much. Matches against kiwis, lions, Ireland etc. can sell out any stadium in country. It's not all gloom & doom...

Tell 'im he's dreaming.
Nothing stopping A-League clubs selling players overseas now.
So why isn't $40 million flowing into Australia right now from transfer fees?
1. Talent or lack thereof.
2. Short term contracts mean players can move to India and Bangladesh for free.
3. Did someone mention India and Bangladesh?
4. A top European club buying a young player from the Ajax Academy is one thing, but as if any of those clubs are going to view an A-League academy in the same light.
5. You would have to be the dumbest player agent in the world to sign your young, up and coming star to an A-League club on a long term deal without a quick and easy release clause if a Euro club comes knocking.
6. A club like Man City doesn't have to pay a cent for any young player coming through melbourne city - takes him for nothing - will onsell once he's in Europe.

Once again, tell 'im he's dreaming.
Foreign investors betting on Australia producing talent sad you think different - of course they putting money on it....

Most of negativity comes from southern states where NRL gets little attention let alone Union.

Most of indifference comes from states where NRL doesn't exist and gets little attention and the same for Union.

In Sydney Wallabies matches get double fta TV ratings of regular season swans games

Is that supposed to impress. International matches ratings versus regular Sydney Swans matches.

Matches against kiwis, lions, Ireland etc. can sell out any stadium in country. It's not all gloom & doom...

Matches against kiwis, lions, Ireland etc. can sell out any stadium in country.

But they haven't have they.

It's not all gloom & doom...

Wallabies down, western Force down. Super League down. Sponsorship ended. Participation down.
I like your optimism. You should run R.A.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Most of indifference comes from states where NRL doesn't exist and gets little attention and the same for Union.

Is that supposed to impress. International matches ratings versus regular Sydney Swans matches.

But they haven't have they.

Wallabies down, western Force down. Super League down. Sponsorship ended. Participation down.
I like your optimism. You should run R.A.
Wallabies play about 8 home tests a year & should get at least double audience of swans average - big series can get around triple. You presenting sport as close to being overtaken by another - these numbers show gap bigger than you suggest.

We know all the negative stuff - it's all that gets posted in this topic although nothing about title says it should be that way. Bet you didn't know in last home test Wallabies broke attendance record at optus stadium. What was I saying?? That's right there's still life yet

Most of negativity comes from southern states where NRL gets little attention let alone Union. In Sydney Wallabies matches get double fta TV ratings of regular season swans games & against marquee opponents three times as much. Matches against kiwis, lions, Ireland etc. can sell out any stadium in country. It's not all gloom & doom...
I couldn't tell the difference between union and RL until I was in my 20s. I didn't know there was a Rugby other than the one played by the Wallabies until I was about 15.

On moto g(6) plus using BigFooty.com mobile app

Wallabies play about 8 home testst

Never noticed. Just not newsworthy i guess.

We know all the negative stuff - it's all that gets posted in this topic

If you don't like then go to the rugby forum where you'll get sympathy.
Meanwhile - Wallabies down, Force gone, Super League gone, sponsorship gone, participation down. Kiwis upset.
Pretty negative - huh, but then it's true.
Go cherry-pick if it makes you feel better.
But go get your facts right. You quoted 10k at Manly Oval when it's plain to see that the capacity is 5k.
That's less than WAFL or SANFL etc.

No. 1 participation sport

Supposedly but all that supposed participation hasn't produced a quality league.
It is in fact a very minor sport. If RU wasn't doing so poorly it's be number #4. in football or #6 overall.
Nobody's interested are they. They'd prefer to watch AFLW.

Last edited:
Never noticed. Just not newsworthy i guess.

If you don't like then go to the rugby forum where you'll get sympathy.
Meanwhile - Wallabies down, Force gone, Super League gone, sponsorship gone, participation down. Kiwis upset.
Pretty negative - huh, but then it's true.
Go cherry-pick if it makes you feel better.
But go get your facts right. You quoted 10k at Manly Oval when it's plain to see that the capacity is 5k.
That's less than WAFL or SANFL etc.
Try Pittwater Park.

Maybe you should petition local council as concerned interstate non resident

Not necessary, as there already is enough pressure to create sufficient number ovals to cater for the explosion in demand for AFL.
And - I'm not concerned - i'm exhilarated by the expansion of AFL in Sydney.
AFCs are popping up all over Sydney.

Not necessary, as there already is enough pressure to create sufficient number ovals to cater for the explosion in demand for AFL.
And - I'm not concerned - i'm exhilarated by the expansion of AFL in Sydney.
AFCs are popping up all over Sydney.
Don't need ovals for auskick. Soccer is leading participation sport in northern beaches by some distance. What's more all professional & semi pro sporting teams there play on rectangular field. Removing important infrastructure on advice of somebody living interstate - crazy

Remove this Banner Ad

Back