Universal Love Down Memory Lane

Remove this Banner Ad

25 years today. Wow.

What a day it was. I was only young but remember it vividly. I had been to many games before this one but this is the first I can remember.

Will never forget it. Nor will I ever forget that I was standing at the urinal with my father as the final siren rang. Pretty sure he has never forgiven me.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Watched the 1970 GF again on Fox Footy last night. I still marvel at Jezza's goal late in the last quarter which sealed the game for us.

The ball's on the ground, 3 Collingwood players are around it. Jezza swoops in between all 3, picks up the ball & quickly throws it on the left boot & it bounces through for a goal.

Big mark, big goal in the same grand final. What an absolute star Jezza was.

Watched the 1970 GF again on Fox Footy last night. I still marvel at Jezza's goal late in the last quarter which sealed the game for us.

The ball's on the ground, 3 Collingwood players are around it. Jezza swoops in between all 3, picks up the ball & quickly throws it on the left boot & it bounces through for a goal.

He done stuff like that every week, he was pure magic. There will never be another Jezza.

Last edited:

Good to see someone else noticed how amazing the goal was, at that moment of the game.
Looks like possibly the most epic football moment in history given it probably is the moment in that famous grand final where the task of coming back from 44 points down at half time to win in a grand final has just been sealed up. If I had been old enough to be at that game and see it, probably would view it as the most amazing goal to see in such incredible circumstances.

Good to see someone else noticed how amazing the goal was, at that moment of the game.
Looks like possibly the most epic football moment in history given it probably is the moment in that famous grand final where the task of coming back from 44 points down at half time to win in a grand final has just been sealed up. If I had been old enough to be at that game and see it, probably would view it as the most amazing goal to see in such incredible circumstances.
For some reason it never seems to get the acknowledgement it deserves. Harmes' tap from the boundary to Sheldon in the goal square in the 1979 GF is constantly referenced when it comes to talking about key moments in Grand Finals, but Jezza's moment of brilliance was the difference between Collingwood having one more forward foray to wrest back the lead & the game being iced for us.

My dear late father got charged by the boys in blue for jumping the fence and joining in the punch up. I know the match by heart as my father never stopped talking about it up until he passed.

my dad went to school with one of the players - one of the blokes who got reported I think - that was his claim to fame - st ambroses...........
I was supposed to be named after my dad but mum said i was really named after Bob Chitty.

just read the curtin forward who played for fitzroy during the war years kicking 50 goals 4 times and missing their 44 flag through military duty was related to the curtin pm and was the grand-father of john barker.........

Remove this Banner Ad

Back