Will the Swans get a KPF or not (with poll)

Will the Swans recruit/trade a KPF or not

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

He is somewhat limited compared to some of the more athletic and defensively competitive key forwards in the league... and yet across the 2017, 2018 and 2019 seasons no one else kicked more goals than him.

His 2020 was terrible, but he had injury issues for the first time, pretty serious off-field challenges with his baby dying, and he was playing for an incredibly rubbish North Melbourne team that weren't giving him much service.

I think Daniher is still the most likely player on this list to come to us, simply on account of the history of mutual interest between club and player to get him here, but if that does fall through I think Brown is definitely worth consideration. With our game plan looking to move the ball through the corridor quickly and directly, having him leading out of the goal square would be an improvement on not having anyone leading out of the goal square, as we have had over the last year or so.
I'm not sure anyone in the coaching staff wanted Daniher much. It was mainly a Harley idea. Daniher adds not much more than Menzel with a similar injury risk. That's a risk where we could end up paying Buddy and Daniher big bucks to just sit in the stands and drink beer, while we have no cap left for younger players and our club falls apart around us.

I'm not sure anyone in the coaching staff wanted Daniher much. It was mainly a Harley idea. Daniher adds not much more than Menzel with a similar injury risk. That's a risk where we could end up paying Buddy and Daniher big bucks to just sit in the stands and drink beer, while we have no cap left for younger players and our club falls apart around us.
Was it a Harley idea? With Daniher now looking at Brisbane or Geelong, I'm wondering if it was him who approached Harley to test the water first? It seems that he wasn't that fussed about coming to us but simply wanted out of Essendon.
It is looking more like Harley was telling the truth after all.

I'm really interested to see what the club does if we don't manage to land a key forward, be it either a big name (Cameron/Brown/Daniher) or a lesser lite (Himmelberg, T. McDonald).

Will we show patience and try for another next year, or the year after, rely on Buddy being fit next year, and back the current group of average forwards (Sinclair, Reid, McLean) to work with while we continue our rebuild drafting a mid?

Or will we feel a sense of urgency and take one of McDonald or Thilthorpe in the draft in the hopes they have a Naughton-like impact very early on? This in itself would show a different kind of patience as it would basically mean committing to a 3-4 year wait for the kid to develop..

I'm really interested to see what the club does if we don't manage to land a key forward, be it either a big name (Cameron/Brown/Daniher) or a lesser lite (Himmelberg, T. McDonald).

Will we show patience and try for another next year, or the year after, rely on Buddy being fit next year, and back the current group of average forwards (Sinclair, Reid, McLean) to work with while we continue our rebuild drafting a mid?

Or will we feel a sense of urgency and take one of McDonald or Thilthorpe in the draft in the hopes they have a Naughton-like impact very early on? This in itself would show a different kind of patience as it would basically mean committing to a 3-4 year wait for the kid to develop..

I think its important to try and climb the ladder as soon as possible you dont wanna get used to losing year after year, thats how as a Northern based club you get in big trouble (Brisbane exodus/GC few years back) as players get sick and tired of losing every week and piss off to a Melbourne based club.

Buddy fit? i dont think he has ever had a solid pre-season thats how good he is but at 33 and 16yrs in the system takes its toll.

Funnily enough he made his debut round 1 2005 at the SCG! will be very interesting how patient we are.

What I would do to get Naughton to the Swans! I know some folks think Thilthorpe has the potential makings of a dud like Tippett, Lobb or Wright but we have a history of maximising the talent of key talls that we draft and develop (McCartin, Reid) from scratch. His ceiling would be on par with Brodie Grundy I reckon and even if he doesn't quite hit those heights you could liken his floor to that of Mark Blicavs.

Nobody has voted Mason Wood.

I find your lack of faith disturbing.

Oops … scrub that … I meant to say "I find your lack of faith re-assuring".

The question was “key” forward though which Mason does not qualify to be called such.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What I would do to get Naughton to the Swans! I know some folks think Thilthorpe has the potential makings of a dud like Tippett, Lobb or Wright but we have a history of maximising the talent of key talls that we draft and develop (McCartin, Reid) from scratch. His ceiling would be on par with Brodie Grundy I reckon and even if he doesn't quite hit those heights you could liken his floor to that of Mark Blicavs.
Tippet wasn't a dud even if he didn't reach his full potential at Sydney. For all his aches and pains he was every bit as good as Daniher. McCartin and Reid were picks 33 & 38 respectively, so not ready made KPFs as you say. McCartin may turn out to be a real gem in defence. Reid still has a few good years in him. This year's pick ups will be key. If Buddy is fit for next year that could go a long way to giving us the time we need to develop our own. Tough call.

Tippet wasn't a dud even if he didn't reach his full potential at Sydney. For all his aches and pains he was every bit as good as Daniher. McCartin and Reid were picks 33 & 38 respectively, so not ready made KPFs as you say. McCartin may turn out to be a real gem in defence. Reid still has a few good years in him. This year's pick ups will be key. If Buddy is fit for next year that could go a long way to giving us the time we need to develop our own. Tough call.

I suppose I should change my wording to 'disappointments' as the aforementioned players though exciting and full of talent weren't or aren't consistent despite their god given talent. I never said Reid and McCartin were ready made KPFs, I said we have drafted two lower rated key tall prospects and despite their initial scouting reports highlighting their deficiencies, have developed them into genuine 'best 22' AFL players. In my view Reid is a dud, but we have absolutely given him everything to succeed as an elite athlete at the top level. Likewise, McCartin is developing exceptionally well and I have high hopes for him to be one of the next great swingmen in our game. My actual point was that both of these players were taken in the 30s on draft night, imagine what we could develop in our famed system with bona fide top talent in players such as Thilthorpe, McDonald or Grainger-Barras coming through.

I suppose I should change my wording to 'disappointments' as the aforementioned players though exciting and full of talent weren't or aren't consistent despite their god given talent. I never said Reid and McCartin were ready made KPFs, I said we have drafted two lower rated key tall prospects and despite their initial scouting reports highlighting their deficiencies, have developed them into genuine 'best 22' AFL players. In my view Reid is a dud, but we have absolutely given him everything to succeed as an elite athlete at the top level. Likewise, McCartin is developing exceptionally well and I have high hopes for him to be one of the next great swingmen in our game. My actual point was that both of these players were taken in the 30s on draft night, imagine what we could develop in our famed system with bona fide top talent in players such as Thilthorpe, McDonald or Grainger-Barras coming through.
IMO if McCartin was born like 2 weeks later, he would have been a top pick in the following draft year

SEN reckon Paddy McCartin has passed all medicals and wants to play for Sydney.

Must be difficult having to find or make up news every day, but this one has a ring of truth.
I don't remember where I read it but Paddy was apparently up in Sydney training with Tom during this year.

Makes sense especially if QBE can help ensure there is some insurance cover (i expect mandatory)

Have posted before but for those who haven't seen it. Watch - out manouvers H Grundy C Mills and A Rance with lots of team oriented read the play footy skills

Worth a cheap short term punt. If they can get some ground time from Buddy and Reid, then it will stretch most backlines :thumbsu:

Must be difficult having to find or make up news every day, but this one has a ring of truth.
I don't remember where I read it but Paddy was apparently up in Sydney training with Tom during this year.

Makes sense especially if QBE can help ensure there is some insurance cover (i expect mandatory)

Have posted before but for those who haven't seen it. Watch - out manouvers H Grundy C Mills and A Rance with lots of team oriented read the play footy skills

Worth a cheap short term punt. If they can get some ground time from Buddy and Reid, then it will stretch most backlines :thumbsu:

Those highlights were from his 2nd year! He was p1 for a reason

Never rated him to be honest

Mobility of a truck
To be fair most of key forwards that dominated this year all had similar mobility.

Hawkins, Dixion, and Kennedy all are late in their careers and just seemed to out muscle teams

There was a rumour on red & white online or bombers blitz. Felt like absolute bull but here we are!

Back