FTA-TV AFL 360 - 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

Couldn't watch live last night so recorded it. It's the best way to watch 360. You can safely fast-forward through not only the ads, but also any interview with a player or coach knowing nothing of interest lies within.

Seriously, by the time I skipped through a chat with Hinkley, Fagan, and Gavin Brown's daughter, all that was left was a 2-3min chat about Heath Shaw's delisting.

It's a show in total need of an overhaul. Whateley is pretentious and Robbo is moronic but they aren't the whole problem. The interviews are so bad. I guess the premise of the coaches on Mondays is that they talk about the game as a whole but that rarely happens. It's just an extended Coaches Corner from the old World of Sport days where each coach gets asked some Dorothy Dixers about their teams' performances over the weekend. I half expect Uncle Doug to stroll out at the end to hand over some Ballantynes chocolates and Bertocci hams.

The players segment is worse. At least the coaches can string some words together and seem to know what they can say and what they can't. Not sure what the point of the Roughy/Lewis segment is. They are mates but other than that what's the point of difference? And Roughy's employment at a club limits anything interesting he can say, and even when he speaks about the club it's all over the shop. Maclure is interesting in the sort of way a drunk uncle is at a wedding after you've had a couple of drinks yourself.

And then, once you have considered all of that, you have a co-host who is almost certainly half cut in each episode such is his inability to ask a succinct question, demonstrate even the most rudimentary of research or maintain a coherent train of thought.

Maybe it is the World of Sport for our generation - a show that is so inherently poorly made and presented that its many and glaring faults actually make it kind of good.

Couldn't watch live last night so recorded it. It's the best way to watch 360. You can safely fast-forward through not only the ads, but also any interview with a player or coach knowing nothing of interest lies within.

Seriously, by the time I skipped through a chat with Hinkley, Fagan, and Gavin Brown's daughter, all that was left was a 2-3min chat about Heath Shaw's delisting.

It's a show in total need of an overhaul. Whateley is pretentious and Robbo is moronic but they aren't the whole problem. The interviews are so bad. I guess the premise of the coaches on Mondays is that they talk about the game as a whole but that rarely happens. It's just an extended Coaches Corner from the old World of Sport days where each coach gets asked some Dorothy Dixers about their teams' performances over the weekend. I half expect Uncle Doug to stroll out at the end to hand over some Ballantynes chocolates and Bertocci hams.

The players segment is worse. At least the coaches can string some words together and seem to know what they can say and what they can't. Not sure what the point of the Roughy/Lewis segment is. They are mates but other than that what's the point of difference? And Roughy's employment at a club limits anything interesting he can say, and even when he speaks about the club it's all over the shop. Maclure is interesting in the sort of way a drunk uncle is at a wedding after you've had a couple of drinks yourself.

And then, once you have considered all of that, you have a co-host who is almost certainly half cut in each episode such is his inability to ask a succinct question, demonstrate even the most rudimentary of research or maintain a coherent train of thought.

Maybe it is the World of Sport for our generation - a show that is so inherently poorly made and presented that its many and glaring faults actually make it kind of good.
A sensational post.

That's exactly what I do, record it and fast forward past the crap, which usually leaves around 15 to 20 minutes.

The players segment is the worst even though I don't mind Jack and Treloar. They just can't given anything really insightful and just give
the standard replies to the standard questions.

Some of the questions, especially by Robbo are abysmal.
Last night for example to Hinkley "Kenny, how confident are you that you can win the GF"?

FMD.

A sensational post.

That's exactly what I do, record it and fast forward past the crap, which usually leaves around 15 to 20 minutes.

The players segment is the worst even though I don't mind Jack and Treloar. They just can't given anything really insightful and just give
the standard replies to the standard questions.

Some of the questions, especially by Robbo are abysmal.
Last night for example to Hinkley "Kenny, how confident are you that you can win the GF"?

FMD.
Even as a Richmond supporter I find the players segment to be attrociously boring.
Treloar was great when he opened up about his mental health demons and the birth of his child.
Jack was great when he opened up about being seperated from his daughter in the hub.
But these topics are a once a year type thing. Not enough to fill a whole segment every week.
They really need to rotate it on the basis that the player has something interesting to give.
It would require the player agreeing to open up, but anything is better than stock standard answers.

Well said although I do remember when they had the coaches on after the Neville Bruns incident I thought Allan Jeans was going to wack Peter McKenna

Even as a Richmond supporter I find the players segment to be attrociously boring.
Treloar was great when he opened up about his mental health demons and the birth of his child.
Jack was great when he opened up about being seperated from his daughter in the hub.
But these topics are a once a year type thing. Not enough to fill a whole segment every week.
They really need to rotate it on the basis that the player has something interesting to give.
It would require the player agreeing to open up, but anything is better than stock standard answers.
Agree. I'm a bit the same as a Hawthorn supporter who finds the Roughead-Lewis segment very boring.

They seem to assume that we want to regularly hear from players / very recently retired players who still have ties to clubs, when I'd much rather hear from journos or opinionated and former players (whether they be 35 or 75) who don't have direct ties to a club.

Way, way too many player and coach interviews. Zzz.

Turned off after 3 minutes on Tuesday. I think I'm at the point where I will only give the program a look on Monday's from now on, unless there is something really newsworthy going on.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Way, way too many player and coach interviews. Zzz.

Turned off after 3 minutes on Tuesday. I think I'm at the point where I will only give the program a look on Monday's from now on, unless there is something really newsworthy going on.

Yeah Tuesday's episode was almost all interviews so I skipped through most of it.

That's one of the advantages of watching replays of the show on Kayo is that you can skip through the boring player and coach interviews.

They wouldn't be so bad if Robbo asked some probing questions but he's like the drunk bloke at the bar that just wants to be mates with them all.

I hate to say this, but I actually find Classified far more interesting.

Me too, they have less interviews and more general discussion on topics with some good segments like good call bad call.

Ross Lyon has been good value too with his analysis of games and giving some insights into what it's like to coach at AFL level.

Footy Classified is far better than AFL 360, because it has a pace and an edge to it, with none of the panelists really holding back and you can tell that they're not just casual observers of the game like a lot of other commentators these days.

They rarely interview anyone and when they do it's for a reason and very hard hitting (e.g. Malthouse, Silvagni). Compare that to AFL 360 - "Jack, tell us for the 50th time how great it is to see your family".

Most shows, including AFL 360, are just cheerleaders for the players, umpires and the AFL these days.

Footy Classified is far better than AFL 360, because it has a pace and an edge to it, with none of the panelists really holding back and you can tell that they're not just casual observers of the game like a lot of other commentators these days.

They rarely interview anyone and when they do it's for a reason and very hard hitting (e.g. Malthouse, Silvagni). Compare that to AFL 360 - "Jack, tell us for the 50th time how great it is to see your family".

Most shows, including AFL 360, and just cheerleaders for the players, umpires and the AFL these days.

My only beef with Classified, and why I haven't gone to it for a while, is the phony agro and confrontation. It's nice for panelists to niggle and disagree, but too much of the time it seems forced. Caro and Jabba the Hutch are the worst for this (and it doesn't help that neither ever have a kind word for my club).

360 is too far the other way. They refer to their guests as "The 360 family" and the hosts seem too in awe of their own regular guests. Guests who appear every week but usually don't have anything to say. At least when Bob Murphy was on "Players Night" he'd prepare his rascal thing. Whilst Jack, Treloar and whoever else is on all come across as good blokes, they just aren't interesting enough to show up each week and talk guardedly about things other than their own games.

The Monday show works best as a review of the round gone by. Keep the coaches but rotate them. Give it a full hour, but having 360 and the Couch back-to-back kind of treads on each others' toes.
Tuesday-Wednesday could easily be trimmed to 30mins with the flexibility to have special hour editions on big news days. Only interview people who are newsworthy for that day.
Thursday could be an hour for game previews and team announcements.

Yep, I'm another one who records it and skips past most of the interviews.

It's a shame because I really used to look forward to each episode but now I find myself losing interest due to the repetitive nature of the player / coach interviews. Maybe they should go back to only 1 episode per week? Or possibly 2, Monday for a review & Thursday for a preview?

Yep, I'm another one who records it and skips past most of the interviews.

It's a shame because I really used to look forward to each episode but now I find myself losing interest due to the repetitive nature of the player / coach interviews. Maybe they should go back to only 1 episode per week? Or possibly 2, Monday for a review & Thursday for a preview?

Agreed.

I think they can do 4 shows (will be 3 most of next year, I expect a lot more Thursday games), but they just need to go back to discussing issues rather than interviewing. King and McClure worked because they were both media commentators, so it wasn't an interview, it was a proper discussion.

When the show expanded to 4 nights a week, I can see why you would try the coach/player angle, but ironically AFL 360 suffered from the same problem the Footy show did, you can't build a show around player personalities, because the clubs don't allow them to, they're coached to be neutral and they obviously can't talk tactics etc.

Footy Classified can fill 2 hours a week and it works. Honestly, I'd move On the Couch to Tuesday and have AFL360 Monday/Wednesday (assuming games on Thursday). Then you remove some overlap. Monday focusses on the previous week. Tuesday focuses on analysing tactics (on the couch) and Wednesday focuses on the week ahead.

Don’t agree with them all the time but to me best part of show is start and end when Gerard and Robbo discuss topics. Bring in a guest commentator/analyst and discuss topics of the day. Maybe even time to cut the show to 30mins. Agree with most on here player interviews are boring.

Footy Classified can fill 2 hours a week and it works. Honestly, I'd move On the Couch to Tuesday and have AFL360 Monday/Wednesday (assuming games on Thursday). Then you remove some overlap. Monday focusses on the previous week. Tuesday focuses on analysing tactics (on the couch) and Wednesday focuses on the week ahead.

Great suggestion, this would work really well I think.

Listening to Clarko talking now with Fagan, Fox should do whatever they can to have Clarko on a guest special comments expert for the rest of the finals series.

Say what you want about him, but he knows what he's talking about, speaks his mind, and doesn't just roll out the standard cliches.

Don’t agree with them all the time but to me best part of show is start and end when Gerard and Robbo discuss topics. Bring in a guest commentator/analyst and discuss topics of the day. Maybe even time to cut the show to 30mins. Agree with most on here player interviews are boring.
Agree. The player interviews in particular are just bland because they don't give much, trot out the standard lines.

Listening to Clarko talking now with Fagan, Fox should do whatever they can to have Clarko on a guest special comments expert for the rest of the finals series.

Say what you want about him, but he knows what he's talking about, speaks his mind, and doesn't just roll out the standard cliches.

Absolutely agree, great insight and analysis from Clarko in a short segment. I've always liked coaches just out of a job taking up those roles, as we've seen with Ross Lyon this year. They understand the game and tactics that are currently being used so they provide far greater insight than most "special" comments guys who have been out of the game for years.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back