Club Mgmt. Board of Directors as led by President Dave Barham

Last edited:
Recent successful experience?

No. He does not.

Mick Malthouse has experience, would you be onboard signing him up?
You don’t need to be a recent successful coach to be on the board or mentor/consult. What experience did Wellman have? Or Madden... or any others before? On other teams..are ex players/coaches recently won prems?

You don’t need to be a recent successful coach to be on the board or mentor/consult. What experience did Wellman have? Or Madden... or any others before? On other teams..are ex players/coaches recently won prems?
I'm still not entirely sure why you kept mentioning Wellman. He was elected to the board by the members, not hand picked by the board to appease the masses and defend the list manager. I'm not convinced at all he should have a say in the football department, if you want me to tee off about that I'm more than happy to.

You don't need to be any of those to be on the board, never said you did. But if we're going to appoint someone based on their "experience and football knowledge" is it to much to ask for it to be recent successful experience or knowledge?

Last edited:
I think it's worth listening to Brasher's SEN interview. I don't have time to transcribe it properly right now but he talks about people on boards who might say five things, two are s**t, two are boring run of the mill, and then that one thing that no one else would've thought of. And those sort of people drive you mad but they're worth their weight in gold.

And he said bringing Sheedy on to the board to 'connect Essendon with Essendon' was one of the reasons but it's about 4th in the list of priorities. There was more but I don't remember it all.

What better way to move away from being a boys club then than to fill it up with old men?

Bring him in.
What do you think about bringing in one of the most successful coaches in the past 20 years, won a flag coaching the Eagles?

CBombers17

Premium Platinum
Jul 7, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
That's the part of the article where it felt to me like Sheedy and Brasher have their wires crossed. Brasher saying Sheeds wouldn't be involved and then this from Sheedy, sounds like Sheeds needs clarity about his role.
I would very much doubt Sheedy has his wires crossed. He just won't hide it as well as the others. Brasher said on SEN that he 'thinks Rutten will be taking up Sheedy's offer'- this is despite them apparently barely knowing each other. What does that tell you about how optional the 'mentorship' is?

They aren't bringing Sheedy onto the board to conflict with anything they want to do. He's a safe seat and a great pitch to supporters. They will all be on the same page here - Pro Dodoro (they have both defended Dodoro in the last few days) and and Campbell....everyone's actually doing a great job just wait for next year etc. This looks far more like a batton change than a revolution and that should suprise nobody. .

I would very much doubt Sheedy has his wires crossed. He just won't hide it as well as the others. Brasher said on SEN that he 'thinks Rutten will be taking up Sheedy's offer'- this is despite them apparently barely knowing each other. What does that tell you about how optional the 'mentorship' is?
Rutten is well known for doing a lot of extra PD, for making the most of every opportunity to become better as quickly as possible. So it's not a great leap to say that optional mentoring is an opportunity that Rutten would jump at.

I'm sure he's talked about it in interviews and stuff, but the easiest source to verify it is this Twomey article that quotes seemingly everyone Rutten has ever worked with:

WHAT most stood out at Richmond was Rutten’s investment in his professional development.

Already with a degree in exercise-science, Rutten started a Master of Coaching degree at Queensland University, gradually ticking it off until completing it last year online. He also finished his Level Two coaching course through the AFL, and sought out mentors from other fields.

"He's one I called a 'star' of our program," Wheadon said.

"We talk about concepts and beliefs and he was really good as a thinker. He knew there's an art and science to it."

Wheadon takes members of his program to Stanford University in California each year, but Rutten organised his own trip at the end of 2017.

Rutten had booked the venture before the Tigers claimed their drought-breaking flag that season. By the time he got there, he was interested in the ability to sustain success.

But after learning about Richmond's fairytale rise, those at Stanford were asking more questions of Rutten by the end of his stay, fascinated by the Tigers' story.
In his last four seasons at Adelaide, Rutten made a conscious effort to develop as part of a move into coaching post playing.

Under coach Neil Craig, Rutten would be allowed to steer the defence, sometimes even taking backline meetings. "He basically ran things down there," said Adelaide best and fairest Bernie Vince.
Learning is part of the 37-year-old's make-up. He believes if he asks his players to find ways to better themselves continually, he should take the same approach.

During the AFL's recent shutdown of the season due to the coronavirus, Rutten continued that quest.

He read The Courage To Be Disliked, a book about creating your future rather than being determined by past experiences, and The Cycling Mind, by leading sports psychologist Ruth Anderson, about the mental strategies used in elite competition.

"The thing that made it obvious to me that he was pretty ambitious and bullish about the prospect of being a senior coach is his personal development," Astbury said. "It's as good as I've ever seen."
Rutten surprised some at Richmond with how strong in his beliefs he was, but he knew he wasn't the finished product. It was in that early time at Punt Road that his ambition to be a senior coach grew.

"He had a really good feel for the game and was really calm in the way he went about it," Richmond administrator Neil Balme said.
ESSENDON'S pitch to Rutten centred on broadening his skillset by working under Worsfold, a premiership coach with West Coast in 2006 and a dual AFLCA coach of the year.

CBombers17

Premium Platinum
Jul 7, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Rutten is well known for doing a lot of extra PD, for making the most of every opportunity to become better as quickly as possible. So it's not a great leap to say that optional mentoring is an opportunity that Rutten would jump at.

I'm sure he's talked about it in interviews and stuff, but the easiest source to verify it is this Twomey article that quotes seemingly everyone Rutten has ever worked with:

He sure is getting a lot of learnings and investment. It will be very interesting to see how the players buy in to his message.

Do you know what the empathy training was about? Was it even a thing?

CBombers17

Premium Platinum
Jul 7, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Was that the sitting in a circle pre match visualisation stuff?

Perhaps they didn't think hard enough
Ha! Yeah i can't remember where i heard it. Might just be tripping. I thought it sounded strange for someone who's running a playing group at this level.

Dec 14, 2008
AFL Club
Essendon
Ha! Yeah i can't remember where i heard it. Might just be tripping. I thought it sounded strange for someone who's running a playing group at this level.

I don't mind it in theory, most high quality athletes visualise their event in a positive manner before they jump, like a hurdler or diver

I guess the difference is their routine is a set manouver that they do over and over till perfect. Footy is just an ad-hoc series of events you can't really plan for in your mind other than thinking positive...

Anyway once Brian Taylor and co saw it it was always going to be fodder for the 7comedy commentary lads

Dec 14, 2008
AFL Club
Essendon
Screenshot_20201001-175759.png

Either meditation of elite level dead fish

View attachment 974833

Either meditation of elite level dead fish
Mindfulness I think is the word. Not sure I've ever heard either described as empathy training though lol

The calm app has a mini-series narrated by LeBron James. It's pretty good. Talks about how he psyched himself up and got in the zone and that sort of thing.

I think Devon Smith also talked about getting really into mindfulness stuff during the season shutdown, which is not something he ever would have considered before that. I think he mentioned it as being one of the good things to come out of COVID.

CBombers17

Premium Platinum
Jul 7, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
empathy training?
I just looked it up and it is a thing. The Morrison government paid big $$ for it - may give an indication of what it's purpose is :)

Can't find any connection to Rutten though. Maybe they would encourage send off games...

Edit: I'm not talking about mindfulness practice i understand that - I sit daily. I Imagine the laying down stuff in the pic is guided meditation by whoever is in the middle. Not sure who that is?

Dec 14, 2008
AFL Club
Essendon
Mindfulness I think is the word. Not sure I've ever heard either described as empathy training though lol

The calm app has a mini-series narrated by LeBron James. It's pretty good. Talks about how he psyched himself up and got in the zone and that sort of thing.

I think Devon Smith also talked about getting really into mindfulness stuff during the season shutdown, which is not something he ever would have considered before that. I think he mentioned it as being one of the good things to come out of COVID.

Re the positive visualisations above, ....and I'm hesitant to get to deep into it here for fear of ridiculule but I've chatted alot about it with mates, (while high granted) I kinda relate it back to George Costanza - it's not a lie, if you believe it..

Say you tell a lie long enough, years pass, people around you change , you are still telling it, it becomes your truth.

On another line, say you go visit a lake and see some birds.. Another day you stay home and visualise going to a lake and see some birds. Does the brain know any different, really? Visualisation can enact the same emotions that real life can, you can get chills, feel sad, cry, get pangs of endorphins... you get similar physical respone from the real thing or just thinking about the real thing really hard..

Tldr; if you think long and hard enough that you will be a success you probably will in the end, constantly think you'll fail and youre no good, it'll probably happen too, self fulfilling prophecy? maybe. It's all in the mindset.

If laying down pre game, clearing your mind of clutter and visualising being a success, doing your job well works for life, I'm sure it could for sport, even for our rickety mob.

Times change, this may be the future of sport, less physical prep, more mental prep

I just looked it up and it is a thing. The Morrison government paid big $$ for it - may give an indication of what it's purpose is :)

Can't find any connection to Rutten though. Maybe they would encourage send off games...

Edit: I'm not talking about mindfulness practice i understand that - I sit daily. I Imagine the laying down stuff in the pic is guided meditation by whoever is in the middle. Not sure who that is?
Empathy training sounds like one of those HR things you have to do along with OH&S, cultural awareness, bullying, data security, ethics, etc.

And something you probably need if you think forcibly shaking someone's hand when they clearly don't want to is a good way to build rapport...

Re the positive visualisations above, ....and I'm hesitant to get to deep into it here for fear of ridiculule but I've chatted alot about it with mates, (while high granted) I kinda relate it back to George Costanza - it's not a lie, if you believe it..

Say you tell a lie long enough, years pass, people around you change , you are still telling it, it becomes your truth.

On another line, say you go visit a lake and see some birds.. Another day you stay home and visualise going to a lake and see some birds. Does the brain know any different, really? Visualisation can enact the same emotions that real life can, you can get chills, feel sad, cry, get pangs of endorphins... you get similar physical respone from the real thing or just thinking about the real thing really hard..

Tldr; if you think long and hard enough that you will be a success you probably will in the end, constantly think you'll fail and youre no good, it'll probably happen too, self fulfilling prophecy? maybe. It's all in the mindset.

If laying down pre game, clearing your mind of clutter and visualising being a success, doing your job well works for life, I'm sure it could for sport, even for our rickety mob.

Times change, this may be the future of sport, less physical prep, more mental prep
It's more than just visualising success, it's also focusing on the task at hand, being present in the moment, and not overthinking it. Something that Ridley has apparently credited with his huge amount of improvement this year, although idk if that's meditation related or just a conscious decision to play more on instinct.

I guess with our poor starts towards the end of last year they figured that might help, but the fact that the poor starts haven't really improved this year, and that we haven't seen mindfulness stuff since R2 suggests that either it didn't work or they decided not to do it in the middle of the pitch after that.

Dec 14, 2008
AFL Club
Essendon
Empathy training sounds like one of those HR things you have to do along with OH&S, cultural awareness, bullying, data security, ethics, etc.

And something you probably need if you think forcibly shaking someone's hand when they clearly don't want to is a good way to build rapport...

Yeh, not sure you can teach someone empathy, you either have it or you don't!

Empathy training sounds like a court ordered demand for being a selfish prick

Dec 14, 2008
AFL Club
Essendon
It's more than just visualising success, it's also focusing on the task at hand, being present in the moment, and not overthinking it. Something that Ridley has apparently credited with his huge amount of improvement this year, although idk if that's meditation related or just a conscious decision to play more on instinct.

I guess with our poor starts towards the end of last year they figured that might help, but the fact that the poor starts haven't really improved this year, and that we haven't seen mindfulness stuff since R2 suggests that either it didn't work or they decided not to do it in the middle of the pitch after that.

Ridley plays like he attained Nirvana

Back