Bluemour Melting Pot XXIV

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cripps 5 yrs sub 5 mill
McKay 2 years ~650k

Not confirmed but close

1UXk.gif

It’s actually smart doing this right at the start of the draft/trade period/window as players see Cripps and mckay locked in and no one wanting out. Players will request to be in blue in the droves.
You hit the nail on the head quality players signing on knowing they could get heaps more out there if they wanted
Speaks volumes for the culture We are building who wouldn’t want in now get in line no pushing in oli

I don't like the way it's being raised as part of speculation around Cripps career. I think it's unfair - understatement - that we're even discussing it as part of this conversation. It places pressure on their relationship, and cannot make either of them feel better for it.

Would that people learned to keep their noses out of business that isn't theirs.
There's always discussion and speculation around interstate players returning to their home state for various reasons.

I don't see this as being any different to that but appreciate where you're coming from.
That's right, Monique Fontana posted about it onto her instagram and also did an interview with the Herald Sun.
Perhaps I read it on IG - I recall thinking her comments were very open and insightful. I don't often find 'awareness' type posts on social media as overly informative but hers was.

Tough one Wick, as I believe we lack real run and carry

If we don't acquire any backmen, I see the back 6 starting like this

Plow Weits Newman
Doc Jones Stocker

Kemp as the 7th rotation

I'm curious as to why you're keen for us to trade for Witherden considering his lack of pace is a big weakness? I agree that we definitely lack run and carry but Witherden would only make this more of an issue

Tough one Wick, as I believe we lack real run and carry

If we don't acquire any backmen, I see the back 6 starting like this

Plow Weits Newman
Doc Jones Stocker

Kemp as the 7th rotation

If we don't acquire any backmen it's highly likely SPS and Willo will feature there again...Stocker & Kemp would need an impressive off-season to dislodge them. Stocker wasn't even with our team most of his year and looks some way off it. Marchy in the mix as well.

You might say 'Willo to the wing' which may happen, but less than 50/50 imo. With the acquisition of Williams and maybe another big name mid, that will push players like Murphy, who will definitely be in the senior team come rd 1 2021, to the wings.

Cripps/Walsh/Curnow/Setterfield/Williams/insert big name mid/Murphy already fills the midfield and wing positions.

I'm curious as to why you're keen for us to trade for Witherden considering his lack of pace is a big weakness? I agree that we definitely lack run and carry but Witherden would only make this more of an issue

My number one priority is footskills and Witherden has that in spades.

If you think about the Hawks backline when they were winning flags, overall speed wasn't in abundance, but hitting targets was their strength

If we didn't have Cripps, Ed Curnow and a midfield that therefore doesn't have a great deal of burst in it, I'd certainly say yes to Oliver. But, is he the right type for US?

In what universe does a midfield with Cripps, Oliver and Williams lack "burst"?

Do people even watch Melbourne games? Oliver provides plenty of burst from stoppages.

Interesting McKay only resigning for two years. Possibly wants to play some good footy and get a bigger contract??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I actually don’t blame him at his age and the stage of his career.
Has shown some great signs at the tail end of the season after teasing for so long, but is not a proven commodity just yet. Sign for 2 on pretty damn good coin, bust your butt and keep getting better and more consistent, then cash in on a longer, richer deal.
The salary cap is a tricky one - no guarantee to rise, or to even stay the same. The smart move may be to lock in a good deal now for a longer term, but I like his mindset.

Dow is 20 for another few weeks.

Narkle is 22 turning 23 before the new year. If we bring him in his first meaningful contribution to the club will be as a 23 year old.

I always refer to incoming players in that capacity, not that being 22 or 23 changes his value in the slightest.
Just a bit of tongue-in-cheek. While I think it is somewhat disingenuous (as it would be to say they're 21 and 22), kudos on the reasonable explanation.

My number one priority is footskills and Witherden has that in spades.

If you think about the Hawks backline when they were winning flags, overall speed wasn't in abundance, but hitting targets was their strength

I don't disagree with what you're saying in regards to footskills, but I'd much rather target players who don't exacerbate a known issue in the team

Surely it can't be impossible to find a player with pace who can also kick

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting McKay only resigning for two years. Possibly wants to play some good footy and get a bigger contract??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

the extension will take him to free agency - at which stage we will have both him and Charlie coming out of contract.
Charlie will be a free agent as well if my maths is correct at the end of his contract in 2023.
Very smart from both managers, depending on how well they both perform in the next 3 seasons it may be very difficult to keep both post their current contracts as they have the potential to be Million dollar plus forwards.
Lets hope we can snag a flag in the next few years because the offers for both of these boys will be huge you would think and it will be mightily difficult to keep both their whole careers. As much as the club won't wont to lose either as they are key pillars the reality is we we will go hard at the trade table this year to try and win a flag in the next 3 seasons with these forwards in the team.

I don't disagree with what you're saying in regards to footskills, but I'd much rather target players who don't exacerbate a known issue in the team

Surely it can't be impossible to find a player with pace who can also kick

1 of 4 guys that really should be our target

Witherden as mentioned earlier, or Noble, Paton, Hind

May not have the footskills of Witherden, but footskills are still sound, but they have great pace

1 of 4 guys that really should be our target

Witherden as mentioned earlier, or Noble, Paton, Hind

May not have the footskills of Witherden, but footskills are still sound, but they have great pace

My concern with those other names is that they just don't seem to get much of the pill. Like young Pickett of a few years ago, it's all well and good being quick, but if you only get the ball 2 or 3 times a quarter you're not gonna do much damage.

Witherden isn't quick, but he gets the ball twice as often as the others and uses it well over long distances.

Has everyone bluffed with his kicking - looks beautiful ,nice and long - doesn’t hit targets. .
Witherden is a great user of the ball however the run that newman provides and the penetration with his kicks he gives us. Not to mention his ability to get on the end of a few and kick some goals is ultimately better. I would love Witherden as well though would free up Williamson to a wing and SPS into the middle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back